Author Topic: No, Super Tuesday Is Not the End of the Process  (Read 223 times)

Offline sinkspur

No, Super Tuesday Is Not the End of the Process
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:42:33 pm »
No, Super Tuesday Is Not the End of the Process

by CHARLES C. W. COOKE   

February 29, 2016 12:00 PM

I’m writing this post ahead of Super Tuesday, lest, in penning in it in the aftermath, I am accused of post-rationalization.

So here goes, a little ahead of time: Super Tuesday is not the end of the Republican primary. Shamefully, Donald Trump will do well tomorrow — perhaps very well. And when he does, the press will roar. And then, because human beings have a preference for simple narratives and dramatic headlines, the story will almost certainly be that the election is “over”; that Trump is “now the nominee”; and that anybody arguing otherwise is “kidding himself.” This is false, and Trump’s opponents should steel themselves to resist it. The Republican primary it is not over until one of the candidates has won the requisite number of delegates. That is not going to happen tomorrow.

Suppose that Trump does as well as many think he will. In such a circumstance, the end result might look a little like this:

Trump - 289
Rubio - 184
Cruz - 154

You will notice that, together, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio would win more delegates than Trump tomorrow. Yes, in this scenario, Trump would come out of the contest with a lead. But it would not be an insurmountable lead, and we should not pretend otherwise.

Dan McLaughlin ran an alternative pro-Trump scenario, and found that the delegate count could feasibly come out like this:

Trump - 322
Rubio - 192
Cruz - 184

As the New York Times’s Nate Cohn explained well last week, the key point in the GOP primary season is not in fact tomorrow; it’s March 15:

The Republican delegate rules, relative to those for the Democrats, are biased toward candidates who win. That makes it very easy to imagine how Mr. Trump could sweep to the nomination over a divided field. But that’s not so true before March 15, when party rules prevent states from apportioning their delegates on a winner-take-all basis. Most states wound up splitting their delegates, awarding a pool of at-large delegates proportionally by the percentage of the vote and awarding other delegates to the candidates who lead in each congressional district.

As a result, it will be difficult on Super Tuesday for Mr. Trump to amass a significant majority of delegates if the other two major candidates — Mr. Rubio and Ted Cruz — clear the thresholds (at highest 20 percent) for earning proportional delegates. It seemed quite possible a few weeks ago that Mr. Trump could build a big lead on Super Tuesday, but Jeb Bush’s exit from the race and the big bump in Mr. Rubio’s poll numbers make it far less likely that Mr. Trump can pull that off.

Now, if the field does not consolidate in one direction or another after tomorrow — and if either Rubio or Cruz are unable to mount a serious challenge on March 15 — it will be all-but over by St. Patrick’s Day. (Although I would recommend that the remaining candidates chase Trump all the way to the convention.) But that hasn’t happened yet — and it won’t have happened by Wednesday morning. Nil desperandum — not yet at least.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: No, Super Tuesday Is Not the End of the Process
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »
March 15 is critical because two of the candidates, Rubio and Kasich, are vying to win their home states.   Kasich has pledged to drop out if he can't win Ohio.  Rubio should pledge to do the same if he can't take Florida.     
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:04:18 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 06:33:30 pm »
March 15 is critical because two of the candidates, Rubio and Kasich, are vying to win their home states.   Kasich has pledged to drop out if he can't win Ohio.  Rubio should pledge to do the same if he can't take Florida.   

Agreed.  It will be interesting to see how all the candidates stand after Super Tuesday.  I can almost guarantee you that Rubio will not take Florida and he will be out of the race. Florida is a winner takes all state and it looks right now Trump is leading by double digits.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 06:39:26 pm »
I agree, we will not have a clear picture till Little Tuesday, March 15 and the big delegate WTA states. We will know for sure then if it's still a race or not.
The Republic is lost.