Author Topic: Harvard Professor: Watching Trump I Understand How Hitler Came to Power  (Read 4341 times)

Offline libertybele

Eerie.  America is starting to become afraid of Trump ... with Super Tuesday just around the corner.  I am praying big time that Cruz can stop him.

Harvard Professor: Watching Donald Trump, I Understand How Hitler Came to Power

Danielle Allen, a liberal political theorist at Harvard University, recently wrote an article for The Washington Post urging fellow Democrats to register as Republicans in order to vote against Donald Trump. Why would she propose such a drastic measure? Understanding History There are people from all over the political spectrum sounding the alarm about Donald Trump, and Ms. Allen captured it perfectly in her article: Like any number of us raised in the late 20th century, I’ve spent my life perplexed about exactly how Hitler could have come to power in Germany. Watching Donald J. Trump’s rise, I now understand. Leaving aside whether a direct comparison of Trump and Hitler is accurate, that’s not my point. My point is rather about how a demagogic opportunist can exploit a divided country. To understand the rise of Hitler and the spread of Naziism, I have generally relied on the Jewish German philosopher Hannah Arendt and her arguments about the banality of evil. Somehow, people can understand themselves as, quote, just doing their job, yet act as cogs in the wheel of a murderous machine. This philosopher also offered a second answer in a small but powerful book called The Men in Dark Times. In this book, she describes all of those who thought Hitler’s rise was a terrible thing, but chose internal exile or staying invisible and out of the way as their strategy for coping with the situation. They knew evil was evil. But they too facilitated it by departing from the battlefield out of a sense of hopelessness. The Republic Is at Stake Ms. Allen makes the point that Trump is rising by taking advantage of a divided country, split by strong partisan ideologies. She also believes we have reached the moment of truth. Trump is exploiting the fact that we cannot unite across any ideological divides. The only way to stop him is to achieve that just kind of coordination across party lines and across divisions within our own parties. We have reached that moment of truth. Republicans, you cannot count on the Democrats to stop Trump. I believe that Hillary Clinton will win the Democratic nomination, and I intend to vote for her. But it’s also the case that she’s a candidate with significant weaknesses, as your party knows quite well. The result of a head-to-head contest between Clinton to Trump is unpredictable. Trump has to be blocked in your primary. Noting that Jeb Bush did the right thing by dropping out, Ms. Allen urged Kasich and Carson to leave the race if they care “about the future of the Republic.” A Suitable Candidate While Ms. Allen makes the case that Rubio is best suited to beat Trump head-to-head, Glenn explained why he doesn’t believe that to be the case. “She says here that Marco Rubio is the one, but she’s buying into the bogus narrative, and we’ll know this by Tuesday,” Glenn said Wednesday on The Glenn Beck Program. “Marco Rubio is not ahead in any state. He’s not going to win any state. In fact, he’s running third in Florida. Ted Cruz is still at this time, still winning in a few states, including a huge, huge state of Texas. He is going to win states on Tuesday. …But whoever doesn’t win states on Tuesday must drop out. They have to drop out. And if that’s Ted Cruz, then so be it. If it is Marco Rubio, then so be it.” Common Sense Bottom Line The chorus against Donald Trump is growing. Even the outspoken former Greek finance minister compared the popularity of Donald Trump to the rise of fascism across Europe in the 1930s. What happens to our nation when we have a totalitarian leader? After seven years of division, look at the difference in our civility toward one another. What will happen when we have a president that pits people against each other even more than Barack Obama? “I have news for you,” Glenn said. “When I said a few years ago, ‘Man, I have to tell you, I didn’t like Bill Clinton at all, but I’d give my right arm for Bill Clinton over this guy.’ I’m warning you now, you will say after two years of Donald Trump, ‘I’d give my right arm for Barack Obama.'” I know that sounds crazy, but mark it down.

Source: http://www.glennbeck.com/2016/02/24/harvard-professor-watching-donald-trump-i-understand-how-hitler-came-to-power/?utm_source=glennbeck&utm_medium=contentcopy_link
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Bill Cipher

Re: Harvard Professor: Watching Trump I Understand How Hitler Came to Power
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:30:43 pm »
Ok, I'm not BFFs with Trump, and I think you can get a sense of why/how Hitler managed to get elected by the Germans, but I don't think we can completely say Trump is Hitler, only that he uses the same sorts of showman/demagogue techniques Hitler used.  I think Trump is dangerous because he's a fool and a liberal - just like Danielle Allen - I don't think he's a neo-Hitler.  Trump seems more fixated on his ego than anything else.  Even Trump's dislike of Mexicans is more for show seems to me than it is like Hitler's fixation on Jews.

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:57:58 pm »
Huh.  It's not just me thinking there are quite a lot of similarities.  Professors and former heads of state, too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:24:39 am »
Ok, I'm not BFFs with Trump, and I think you can get a sense of why/how Hitler managed to get elected by the Germans, but I don't think we can completely say Trump is Hitler, only that he uses the same sorts of showman/demagogue techniques Hitler used.  I think Trump is dangerous because he's a fool and a liberal - just like Danielle Allen - I don't think he's a neo-Hitler.  Trump seems more fixated on his ego than anything else.  Even Trump's dislike of Mexicans is more for show seems to me than it is like Hitler's fixation on Jews.

Trump is dangerous because he is narcissistic; he is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, and he doesn't  see the destructive damage that he is causing the Republican party.  He demonstrates grandiosity in his behavior and he certainly tends to lack empathy for others.

I find giving someone like Trumpler (Trump/Hitler) one of the most powerful position in the world frightening, especially with his wealth and connections with Soros. Much like our current president he will side-step Congress and do whatever he wants. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:26:11 am »
I stopped at "Harvard Professor".   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:34:56 am »
As well you should, after all...It ain't what you don't know that kills you.  Why take any chances?

Offline Paladin

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:40:08 am »
The hyperbole is simply getting ridiculous.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 01:43:29 am »
 :facepalm2:

I argued with myself whether I should even take the time to post a smiley. I lost the argument.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:44:58 am »
A Harvard professor is just now understanding how Hitler came to power?
No wonder our educational indoctrination system is so screwed up

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:01 am »
Where was this professor in 2008? I don't know about Trump, but Obama's rise was quite Hitlerlike.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 01:55:39 am »

So did I and I bet this same Prof supports Obama's ravaging of the Constitution
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:04:22 am »
Where was this professor in 2008? I don't know about Trump, but Obama's rise was quite Hitlerlike.

And Obama promised to fundamentally change America. 

Offline Paladin

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 02:09:38 am »
Same kind of nonsense was shoveled off the offal truck when Goldwater ran for Prez in '64. It's one of the prized Leftist smears going back to the end of WWII, though in the modern era it is not used as much as racist, or homophone, or nativist. As always with the Left, and with those useful idiots who support the Left, the smear is used in place of reason.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 02:09:57 am »

I taught my children that two wrongs do not make a right.  Are you saying that is wrong?  That since Obama did it, it's now alright?

Seriously?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 02:33:21 am »
And Obama promised to fundamentally change America.

And boy did he. Not since the Reconstruction, has the country been so divided - with the Black Lives Matter being a prime example.

If Trump can make America Great again, I will be the first to say I was wrong about him, but I am very concerned that his Make America Great Again, America for Americans, Jobs for all speech, sound strangely familiar, to the words in the  Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer  speech where people loudly cheered to the message of a new social order, jobs for all, and restored national pride. 

Friends, if you are going to vote for Trump, then do it, I'm not going to be able to convince you different. But please, for our Founder's sake, Hold Him Accountable for what he does while in office.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Paladin

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 02:39:49 am »
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

"Daniel Schorr’s passing on Friday, at age 93, reminded me of the kind of assaults CBS News unleashed on conservatives before there were any countervailing forums available. A 2001 Weekly Standard article (nine years in my “pending” file!) detailed a particularly vicious left-wing hit piece he narrated in 1964 which linked Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater with neo-Nazis in Germany, a CBS Evening News story notorious enough to earn a mention – if without any censure – in the New York Times and Washington Post obituaries.

In a June of 2001 Weekly Standard review of a memoir by Schorr about his years with CBS, CNN and NPR, Andrew Ferguson recited the piece which aired during the GOP’s convention:

“It looks as though Senator Goldwater, if nominated, will be starting his campaign here in Bavaria, center of Germany's right wing” also known, Schorr added helpfully, as “Hitler's one-time stomping ground.” Goldwater, he went on, had given an interview to Der Spiegel, “appealing to right-wing elements in Germany,” and had agreed to speak to a conclave of, yes, “right-wing Germans.” “Thus," Schorr concluded, “there are signs that the American and German right wings are joining up.” Now back to you, Walter, and have a nice day!"

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2010/07/25/looking-back-schorr-s-goldwater-nazi-axis-cbs-evening-news-hit-piece

Need I remind you that Goldwater was as hated by the GOPe in his day as much as Trump is in ours?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 02:42:16 am »
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

"Daniel Schorr’s passing on Friday, at age 93, reminded me of the kind of assaults CBS News unleashed on conservatives before there were any countervailing forums available. A 2001 Weekly Standard article (nine years in my “pending” file!) detailed a particularly vicious left-wing hit piece he narrated in 1964 which linked Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater with neo-Nazis in Germany, a CBS Evening News story notorious enough to earn a mention – if without any censure – in the New York Times and Washington Post obituaries.

In a June of 2001 Weekly Standard review of a memoir by Schorr about his years with CBS, CNN and NPR, Andrew Ferguson recited the piece which aired during the GOP’s convention:

“It looks as though Senator Goldwater, if nominated, will be starting his campaign here in Bavaria, center of Germany's right wing” also known, Schorr added helpfully, as “Hitler's one-time stomping ground.” Goldwater, he went on, had given an interview to Der Spiegel, “appealing to right-wing elements in Germany,” and had agreed to speak to a conclave of, yes, “right-wing Germans.” “Thus," Schorr concluded, “there are signs that the American and German right wings are joining up.” Now back to you, Walter, and have a nice day!"

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2010/07/25/looking-back-schorr-s-goldwater-nazi-axis-cbs-evening-news-hit-piece

Need I remind you that Goldwater was as hated by the GOPe in his day as much as Trump is in ours?

Need I remind you that Goldwater, and Reagan, were both well-read, well-educated, and well-thought out.  Neither Goldwater nor Reagan was a rank, crass opportunist; Trump is the apotheosis of the rank, crass opportunist.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 02:48:34 am »
Friends, if you are going to vote for Trump, then do it, I'm not going to be able to convince you different. But please, for our Founder's sake, Hold Him Accountable for what he does while in office.

Well we here will call them on it....I just pray he is sincere when he preaches conservative values....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 02:54:57 am »
And boy did he. Not since the Reconstruction, has the country been so divided - with the Black Lives Matter being a prime example.

If Trump can make America Great again, I will be the first to say I was wrong about him, but I am very concerned that his Make America Great Again, America for Americans, Jobs for all speech, sound strangely familiar, to the words in the  Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer  speech where people loudly cheered to the message of a new social order, jobs for all, and restored national pride. 

I hope and pray it won't come to it; but if it does, I hope you'll be there with us trying our level best to keep him on heel.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:01:39 am »
Need I remind you that Goldwater, and Reagan, were both well-read, well-educated, and well-thought out.  Neither Goldwater nor Reagan was a rank, crass opportunist; Trump is the apotheosis of the rank, crass opportunist.

Miss the point there much, anti-Trumpster?

Btw, you are incorrect about Goldwater. He was not, in anybody's estimation, the sharpest knife in the drawer. "Conscience of a Conservative" was ghost written, probably by Willmore Kendall ( who really was very bright). And before you get your panties in a bunch, I voted for Goldwater, the first vote I ever cast for President. But I had no illusions about the quality of his intellect.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 04:29:15 am »
Btw, you are incorrect about Goldwater. He was not, in anybody's estimation, the sharpest knife in the drawer. "Conscience of a Conservative" was ghost written, probably by Willmore Kendall ( who really was very bright). And before you get your panties in a bunch, I voted for Goldwater, the first vote I ever cast for President. But I had no illusions about the quality of his intellect.

==============================

Wow.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:10 am »
Miss the point there much, anti-Trumpster?

Hard to believe you would piss on a jew like that.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 10:55:10 am »
I taught my children that two wrongs do not make a right.  Are you saying that is wrong?  That since Obama did it, it's now alright?

Seriously?
That's not what I said. Seriously.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:32 am »

Disgusting
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

HonestJohn

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 12:03:00 pm »

Goldwater was Episcopalian.

Everyone, please stop with the "Goldwater is Jewish" schtick.  I mean, the information is out in the public domain.  Even Wikipedia has it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:04:47 pm by HonestJohn »