Author Topic: Christie Told Newspaper He Would Never Endorse Trump  (Read 454 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Christie Told Newspaper He Would Never Endorse Trump
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:06:20 am »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432017/ever-changing-chris-christie

By John Fund — February 26, 2016

Chris Christie’s biggest break in the New Hampshire primary came when the only statewide paper, the Union Leader, endorsed him. In part, the paper said, it was to save the country from the egregious Donald Trump, whom it compared to the bullying mogul “Biff” in “Back to the Future.” .

The Union Leader’s endorsement didn’t save Christie from a poor showing in the Feb. 8 primary and the New Jersey governor withdrew. But politico.com reports that the day after the primary, publisher Joe McQuaid heard a rumor that Christie was going to endorse Trump and called the governor to ask him about it. Christie responded that.

“He said, ‘No, no, I would never do that,’” McQuaid told Politico. “[Christie] told me to tell the other guy to ‘take his head out of his ass’ for saying he would support Trump.”

We all know what happened just three weeks later. McQuaid says he is “disappointed” in Chris Christie and puzzled by what happened. ”It’s like Romney says about Trump and his taxes. I think there’s something there. Christie hasn’t come clean.”

Many others agree. Opportunism is a central tenet of politics, but Christie’s move reminds me of the old British story of a parliamentarian who abandoned his stance with such alacrity that one of his colleagues said “If he were aboard a ship, his departure would have been so swift that the rats would be left gaping in astonishment.”

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Christie Told Newspaper He Would Never Endorse Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:13:06 am »
It is called "Politics," not for the faint of heart.

(It is beyond amazing at how so many appear to be SHOCKED at seeing Realpolitik played out DOMESTICALLY, front and center.)

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:29:16 am »
It is called "Politics," not for the faint of heart.

(It is beyond amazing at how so many appear to be SHOCKED at seeing Realpolitik played out DOMESTICALLY, front and center.)

They would never appear shocked if realpolitik benefited their side. They are simply incapable of seeing anything beyond the black curtain of their bias.  The National Review is an idiotic publication - their hero H.W. Bush was the one who coined the phrase "voodoo economics" about Reagan's economic program and used the media to turn it into one the biggest sound bites of the campaign...not very long before playing realpolitik and taking the deal to be his VP.  Do the foolish simpletons at NR think to remember...ah, perhaps I am too hard on them, reading a bit of history out of their own publication is much more difficult than regurgitating canned information handed to them by their campaign "sources."
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:36:14 am »
National Review must be operating under the belief that they have fools as subscribers/readers; apparently that is one thing that they do get correct!