Author Topic: Trump just issued MASSIVE THREAT to news media  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Trump just issued MASSIVE THREAT to news media
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 02:44:51 pm »
If you are the target of slander, you should have a legal recourse...
Did Trump, or anyone else, say he was going to get the feds involved?  NO..
So we need to stop hyping the anti trump noise and look at the facts...

He's running for President for God's sake!

He's making the statement in relation to statements being made about his running for the office!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »
From Wikipedia:

In United States law, public figure is a term applied in the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy. A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a lawsuit on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice (knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth). The burden of proof in defamation actions is higher in the case of a public figure.

The controlling precedent in the United States was set in 1964 by the United States Supreme Court in New York Times Co. v. Sullivan. It is considered a key decision in supporting the First Amendment and freedom of the press.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »

Did Trump, or anyone else, say he was going to get the feds involved?  NO..

The moment President Trump uses his bully pulpit to attack and threaten lawsuit against The Washington Times, Fox News, or any other news outlet, for stories they do on him, it involves the feds.

There are already libel laws, as there are gun laws. Making more is never in our interest.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:39 pm »
I read Trump's words and I take them at face value.

When I read that he threatens to sue if someone says negative things about him, I see forums like these becoming targets of lawsuits.

It's not just that.   I doubt that Trump is going to sue TBR because seditionists like you and me post here.   But when he "opens up the libel laws"  the folks who run boards like this will find it compelling to purchase costly liability insurance - and many will say why bother and close up shop.

That's the real chilling effect.

One unexplored issue this campaign is that Trump is a pernicious product of our lawsuit culture.  He intimidates his rivals and competitors and critics with his team of lawyers.   He sues when he's pissed and he sues for the hell of it. 

DC - what's your defense of Trump's sue 'em all nihilism?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:55:28 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
Well, I am with Trump on this.
You and I are held responsible for the things we say why is it that the media can print any lie, any slander and any accusation and the target is publicly destroyed and lives are ruined but we have freedom of the press....
I hope the gates are opened and when the media runs afoul of the truth, they get their rear ends handed to them.

Libel and slander laws are state laws, for the most part, and Trump can do nothing about those.  And no Congress is going to do Trump's bidding on this, because it is purely a vanity exercise.

Nonetheless, this is really chilling.  Trump would put Nixon to shame in his treatment of his "enemies."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:04:34 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 03:02:31 pm »
It's not just that.   I doubt that Trump is going to sue TBR because seditionists like you and me post here.   But when he "opens up the libel laws"  the folks who run boards like this will find it compelling to purchase costly liability insurance - and many will say why bother and close up shop.

One unexplored issue this campaign is that Trump is a pernicious product of our lawsuit culture.  He intimidates his rivals and competitors and critics with his team of lawyers.   He sues when he's pissed and he sues for the hell of it. 

Great post....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline xyno

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »
WTH... that people can't see the potential harm with what Trump says he will implement, as PRESIDENT, is astounding. To dismiss it out of hand without nary a bit of examination is worse.  And here I have been told it is just the non-supporters of Trump who are provocative.

Imagine if Hillary or Sanders said something similar.  WHAT??? We would say.  We want tort reform, NOT more legal wrangling.  We want LESS government mirrors, and shell games.  We need MORE transparency, not less.  Our Constitution and way of life is imperiled!!  I guess their attacks on other Bill of Right protections are probably worthy of being considered then.

But, to some, it was Donald.  Hence, it must be brilliant.  In fact, let us all bask in that brilliance without question.  Disregard the jack-booted fellows. 
Did you see the polls?  He's winning.

Now, I will go months before my next post.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 03:06:54 pm »
He's running for President for God's sake!

He's making the statement in relation to statements being made about his running for the office!

Indeed, it is about him.  Hopefully no one here is thinking that Trump was looking out for the little guy with his statement on libel?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 03:07:53 pm »
WTH... that people can't see the potential harm with what Trump says he will implement, as PRESIDENT, is astounding. To dismiss it out of hand without nary a bit of examination is worse.  And here I have been told it is just the non-supporters of Trump who are provocative.

Imagine if Hillary or Sanders said something similar.  WHAT??? We would say.  We want tort reform, NOT more legal wrangling.  We want LESS government mirrors, and shell games.  We need MORE transparency, not less.  Our Constitution and way of life is imperiled!!  I guess their attacks on other Bill of Right protections are probably worthy of being considered then.

But, to some, it was Donald.  Hence, it must be brilliant.  In fact, let us all bask in that brilliance without question.  Disregard the jack-booted fellows. 

goopo

Bill Cipher

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 03:07:59 pm »
You guys are so full of crap, your eyes must be brown.    :smokin:

Sayeth a Trumpkin.  :rolleyes:  Tell me, do you really appreciate your god calling you so stupid you'll support him no matter what he says?  Do you really appreciate your god calling you so slavish it wouldn't matter to you if he killed someone?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 03:09:32 pm »
Libel and slander laws are state laws, for the most part, and Trump can do nothing about those.  And no Congress is going to do Trump's bidding on this, because it is purely a vanity exercise.

Nonetheless, this is really chilling.  Trump would put Nixon to shame in his treatment of his "enemies."

Trump is nothing but a vanity exercise.  Both for The Don himself and his slavish supporters, who get to salve their pretty little egos by feeling that they're doing something good for the country by letting their anger blind them completely.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:10:00 pm by Bill Cipher »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 03:13:04 pm »
I guess political satire and comedy will come to an end.  That stuff can get kinda mean.

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 03:13:56 pm »
You guys are so full of crap, your eyes must be brown.    :smokin:

DC, do you recall the discussions we had back in '08 about an Obama presidency?  And Obama had never said anything about rounding up people, and the FEMA reeducation camps.  Most of the discussions here actually emanate from things Trump has actually said.  These concerns shouldn't just be blown off so easily my friend.   :beer:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 03:15:54 pm »
I guess political satire and comedy will come to an end.  That stuff can get kinda mean.

What...no SNL?  :#@$%:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »

What makes you think the Dems are wanting this type of law??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 03:19:03 pm »
What...no SNL?  :#@$%:

I'm trying to be less incisive with my comments, LOL!  Gotta keep myself calm for a few days.  xyno poked it in the eye, though.
John Steinbeck

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 03:19:03 pm »
Question: If Hillary supports this type of proposal what would the reaction of the Trump supporters be??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 03:21:01 pm »

Where'd you come from?  Well done.
John Steinbeck

Bill Cipher

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 03:22:12 pm »
Question: If Hillary supports this type of proposal what would the reaction of the Trump supporters be??

To do whatever Trump tells them to do.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »

:amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 03:24:36 pm »
To do whatever Trump tells them to do.

Notice how they ignore that question..

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2016, 03:25:16 pm »
It appears the Trump supporters can't bring even themselves to defend this nonsense.

Trump's words, however, are out there and the Democrats are assembling ads against him.

Republicans might be doing the same:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2016, 03:30:46 pm »

So many things in your post, but this is an oft-repeated refrain that puzzles me when it is used as an argument for Trump.  I never knew this was a point to consider.  I guess if that was the case, we here should have voted for Obama - twice.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »

His acolytes will do it in his behalf.

A lawsuit requires no predetermined standard of validity in order to be filed, but once filed it must be defended.

Then again, if a forum gains sufficient power and notoriety to say, impact public opinion at large (Glenn Beck) or a radio show with millions of listeners attacks the President (Rush, Levine) they become targets of an administration openly threatening to sue opposition into silence.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:33:31 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »
John Adams tried the same thing with his Sedition Act, as did Wilson.  Both failed, but the threats were there.  There are times when I despise the media, but the thought of a less than free press is downright chilling.  We already have libel and slander laws.  You will definitely see a big change in how the WH press corps is treated.  If he thinks some of the moderators have been unfair to him, wait until the daily press briefings.

You mean like Obama and Clinton has ignored FOXNEWS for going on 8 years?  Saying they're not legitimate?

IMO, the mainstream LEFT media IS domestic enemy #1.   "The most insidious power the media have is the power to ignore".

And they are willing accomplices in shielding the Democrats from any criticism.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald