Author Topic: Christie sells out. Sad! (Jonah Goldberg)  (Read 2244 times)

Offline sinkspur

Christie sells out. Sad! (Jonah Goldberg)
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »
Christie Sells Out. Sad!

by JONAH GOLDBERG   

February 26, 2016 3:25 PM

So I was almost done with the Goldberg File when the news came out that Chris Christie has endorsed Donald Trump. I missed the press conference but caught some of Trump’s interminable rant carried for free by all the news networks. 

A few thoughts:

1. If this isn’t a classic example of Bill Rusher’s rule that “politicians will always disappointment you” I don’t know what is. Frankly I think Christie should be ashamed of himself. I could list a lot of reasons for that, but some of them would probably amount to me projecting my complaints about Trump onto Christie (about which subscribers to the G-File can read shortly). So I’ll just give one based entirely on Christie’s terms. Christie spent a year telling the world that the entitlement crisis is the gravest threat to the future of the country (For instance, in the January 14 debate: ”The reason why no one wants to answer entitlements up here is because it’s hard”).

But the day after Trump insisted that we don’t need to touch entitlements and that we can balance the budget by finding “waste, fraud and abuse” and eliminating Common Core, Christie comes out and celebrates Trump as the guy the country needs. Christie boasted constantly about the need to tell the American people hard truths and he endorsed the guy who tells little more than easy lies. What a profile in courage. 

2. This is good news for Trump. He’s lacked support from a major politician. Now he’s got that. He’s also got a useful attack dog in Christie, who will undoubtedly go around trying to replay his successful suicide attack on Rubio from the New Hampshire debate. 

3. It’s also good for Trump because he got pantsed last night and this changes the storyline. This has always been the “genius” of the Trump campaign, as many have observed. The reason “genius” is in quotation marks is that Trump is mostly taking advantage of the media’s enabling. It’s a very similar advantage to Barack Obama’s in 2008. The media followed Obama’s lead out of infatuation and they follow Trump’s out of fascination. In neither case was the attention the result of some brilliant plan.

4. I suspect this means that if Trump wins the nomination,  Christie will be on the shortlist to be his running mate. That might be smart as it doubles down on the Trump brand  – bogus as it may be  – of “telling it like it is.” But it would also let Democrats quintuple-down on the notion that Republicans are bullies.   

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Christie sells out. Sad! (Jonah Goldberg)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:02:52 pm »
Get ready children. Going to be a whole lot more of this. Going to be interesting watching the heads explode in the "moment conservatives choir" when Rubio drops out.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:25 pm »
Failure has gone to his head.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »
See this? Wonder  when Cardinal Jonah and Pope Lowery are going to pronounce anathema on this heretic?

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/431935/marco-rubio-healthcare-individual-mandate

When Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump momentarily embraced Obamacare's individual mandate before disavowing it, Rush Limbaugh and other conservatives caught the vapors. But where is conservative outrage over Marco Rubio's health plan, which actually contains an individual mandate?

Rubio, unlike his opponents, has offered details on how he would replace Obamacare. (Trump merely promises "something terrific.") He builds his replacement plan around an individual mandate, and an expansion of Obamacare's spending. Rubio's plan is so similar to Obamacare, so disruptive, and so easily demagogued, you would think he was a Democratic mole.

The centerpiece of Rubio's proposal would "provid[e] every American with an advanceable, refundable tax credit that can be used to purchase insurance." What does that mean? If you purchase a government-approved health plan, you could save, for example, $2,000 on your taxes. If you don't, you pay that $2,000 to the government.

That is exactly how Obamacare's individual mandate works. No less an authority than John Goodman, the dean of conservative health-care reformers, says tax credits are a "financial mandate" to purchase health insurance.

Rubio's tax credit would thus give the federal government as much power to force you to purchase unwanted coverage as Obamacare does. Under Obamacare, the federal government gets to decide what coverage you must buy in order to avoid the penalty. Under Rubio's plan, the federal government would have the same power.

For many Americans, Rubio's mandate could be more punitive than Obamacare's. Rubio hasn't specified the precise penalty he would make you pay the IRS if you failed to purchase a government-approved plan, but other tax-credit proposals would create penalties that rival Obamacare's.

The similarities to Obamacare don't end there.

Rubio's tax credits, like Obamacare's, are "refundable." That means that if your tax liability is zero, you get a $2,000 check from the government. Obamacare's so-called "tax credits" are actually 80 percent government spending. Rubio's plan takes this concept and expands it to 10 or 20 times as many people as Obamacare does.

As if that weren't bad enough, Rubio's plan involves unnecessary tax increases and fails to protect workers, features that Democrats will demagogue ruthlessly.

Commendably, Rubio tries to make health insurance more secure by eliminating the tax preference for employer-sponsored insurance. But his approach is ham-handed and self-defeating. Rather than cut taxes for everyone, he would level the playing field by taxing many workers' health benefits.

Perhaps most troubling is that, even though employers could respond to his plan by dropping their health benefits, Rubio would do nothing to return to workers the money their employers spend on their health benefits. For workers with the average family plan, that's $13,000 of their earnings that Rubio does nothing to try to put into the worker's hands immediately. As a result, Democrats will demagogue Rubio's plan exactly the way Barack Obama demagogued John McCain's tax-credit proposal in 2008.

Republicans have an alternative that would avoid these pitfalls. Expanding tax-free health savings accounts would move in the opposite direction of Obamacare by reducing health-care costs, making health insurance more secure, and delivering an effective tax cut of $9 trillion over ten years. That's larger than all the Reagan and Bush tax cuts combined. "Large" HSAs would also allow more secure insurance products--innovations that Rubio's tax credit would block.

Were it not for Donald Trump, Marco Rubio's individual mandate might be the most ridiculous thing happening in the Republican party this campaign season. Even as every Republican candidate for national office promises to repeal and replace Obamacare, the favorite candidate of both the GOP establishment and the "reformocon" class of conservative intellectuals is promising to cement many of Obamacare's worst features in place -- including its least popular provision -- by giving them a conservative imprimatur.

Republicans may not have noticed the similarities between Rubio's health plan and Obamacare, but Democrats certainly will. If the GOP's presidential candidate marches under the banner of health-insurance tax credits, this will be the second presidential election in a row in which Republicans have denied voters a clear choice on Obamacare by nominating a candidate who has zero credibility as an Obamacare critic. Democrats will expose the hypocrisy, and voters will rightly dismiss Republican criticisms of Obamacare as a partisan charade.

-- Michael F. Cannon (@mfcannon) is the director of health-policy studies at the libertarian Cato Institute and the author of Yes, Mr. President: A Free Market Can Fix Health Care.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »
Get ready children. Going to be a whole lot more of this. Going to be interesting watching the heads explode in the "moment conservatives choir" when Rubio drops out.

We're not children, you old fart.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:13:55 pm »
So when is the Auto De Fe for this NR heretic?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:16:05 pm »
Rubio's tax credit would thus give the federal government as much power to force you to purchase unwanted coverage as Obamacare does. Under Obamacare, the federal government gets to decide what coverage you must buy in order to avoid the penalty. Under Rubio's plan, the federal government would have the same power.

Not  true.  Obamacare approves only certain plans to be in the exchanges.  Under Rubio's plan, insurers could issue any plans, including catastrophic plans only at a much lower premium cost.  Those are currently outlawed under Obamacare.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 09:34:36 pm »
Not really a surprise when a liberal Republican from NJ supports a liberal DEMOCRAT from NY.............
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 09:49:25 pm »
Donald Trump and Chris Christie Weren’t Always So Friendly
Alan Rappeport
New York Times (so consider the source)
Feb. 26, 2016
The love-fest between Donald J. Trump and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey could hardly have been more effusive on Friday. Unveiling Mr. Christie’s endorsement, Mr. Trump called him a “spectacular governor” and a close friend whose support he coveted deeply. Mr. Christie said Mr. Trump was by far the best leader to take America forward and a true fighter.

But it was not always that way. In the months before Mr. Christie dropped out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination, he frequently hit Mr. Trump as reality television star who was not fit to lead the country. Mr. Trump said at the time that Mr. Christie’s management of his state was a failure and that he had misled people about the George Washington Bridge lane-closing scandal.

In their own words, here is a reminder of how fast friendships in politics can change.

Mr. Christie on Mr. Trump’s qualifications: “But there are folks in this race who don’t care about what the law says because they’re used to being able to just fire people indiscriminately on television.”

Mr. Christie on Mr. Trump’s proposed ban on Muslim immigration: “That’s ridiculous.”

Mr. Trump on Mr. Christie’s management of New Jersey: “Nine downgrades. It’s a disaster. I have property over there. The taxes are through — I’ll use an expression: coming out of my ears. Tremendous taxes over there.”

Trump on Mr. Christie and Mr. Obama: “He was so warm, and so happy to have Barack Obama in the state of New Jersey that I personally think it could have cost Romney the election.”

Mr. Trump on “Bridgegate”: “Chris can’t win because of his past. I don’t believe you’ve heard the last of the George Washington Bridge, because there’s no way he didn’t know about the closure of the George Washington Bridge, and all of his people are now going on trial in the very near future. And they’re going on criminal trial. There’s no way he didn’t know about it.”

Mr. Trump on Mr. Christie being a failed governor: “Chris took himself down when he did the George Washington Bridge, and he took himself down when he’s rated number 50 out of 50 in New Jersey. I mean, it’s the 50th worst state, meaning it’s last.”

Mr. Christie on Trump and leadership: “Showtime is over. We are not electing an entertainer-in-chief. Showmanship is fun, but it is not the kind of leadership that will truly change America.”

Mr. Trump on Mr. Christie attacking him: “He shouldn’t be talking like that, I’m surprised that he would be talking like that. I know him and I guess he used to be a friend until this all happened.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 09:49:34 pm »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:44 pm »
Christie, who made entitlement cuts a signature policy, endorses the candidate most dismissive of said policy.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 09:54:31 pm »
Chris Christie, future dean of the Donald J. Trump Online College of Criminal Justice.

Free Trump Vodka for life.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 09:58:08 pm »
Trump Vodka...The Billy Beer of the Trumpsters! :beer:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 11:09:14 pm »
Chris Christie, future dean of the Donald J. Trump Online College of Criminal Justice.

Free Trump Vodka for life.
I think he'd prefer donuts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org