Author Topic: Cruz Picked a Losing Fight With Trump on Polls  (Read 741 times)

HAPPY2BME

Cruz Picked a Losing Fight With Trump on Polls
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:49:23 pm »
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz went on the offensive at the Republican debate Thursday night, attacking businessman Donald Trump for doing poorly in the polls. Which is a little like challenging Serena Williams to a tennis match: if there’s one subject Trump knows really well, it’s his own polls.

Cruz’s point was narrow. In hypothetical general election polls pitting both Cruz and Trump against Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton, Cruz wins and Trump loses, eight times out of ten.

“The most important question is how do we win the general election in November, 2016,” Cruz explained, adding that “Republicans think Donald is not the right candidate to go against Hillary Clinton.”

On that count, Cruz is right. In the last ten polls on RealClearPolitics that matched Cruz up against Clinton in a general election, Cruz wins five times, ties three times, loses twice, and squeaks by with an 0.8% overall lead. Trump, on the other hand, gets creamed: he loses 80% of the time.

But that’s pretty dangerous ground for Cruz.

For one, in those same ten polls, Cruz’s primary opponent, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, is the real victor. In a hypothetical match-up against Clinton, Rubio wins 80% of the time, with a solid 4.7% overall lead.

That’s not the kind of thing you’d expect Cruz to want to point out on the national stage.

For another, it’s pretty bold for Cruz to bring up polling numbers, considering he’s not doing particularly well against Trump among expected Republican voters in next week’s primaries.

As Trump pointed out—in an awkward exchange that earned the businessman howls of approval from the crowd—Cruz appears to losing his grip even in his home state of Texas.

“I sort of have to laugh when Ted makes a big deal out of the fact that he’s doing well in the polls. Well, I’m beating him in virtually every poll. I’m tied in Texas, by the way, which I shouldn’t be,” Trump said, apparently citing a WFAA Texas TEGNA poll this week.

In the seven states across the southern region, where Republican voters will vote next Tuesday, Trump won 37 percent of likely Republican presidential primary voters, according to an online Bloomberg Politics poll. Cruz and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio tied at 20%.

Trump also crushed both Cruz and Rubio in hypothetical, one-on-one matchups in those same states.

“I am beating him so badly that it’s, like, embarrassing even for me to say,” Trump said. “I’m beating him that badly.”

http://time.com/4238342/republican-debate-ted-cruz-donald-trump-polls/

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Cruz Picked a Losing Fight With Trump on Polls
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:25 pm »
So Cruz and Rubio are the solid pick for the general and Trump sucks. I totally agree.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 04:55:17 pm »

Trump boldly goes where no man has gone before...  :silly:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »
I fail to understand the counterpunch of, "I'm so winning...".  That is not enough for me. If it were, I would have voted for Obama. Twice.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:01:17 pm »
Neither Cruz or Rubio has enough swing-vote support to beat Hillary.

Trump does.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »

Trump does.
"(It's) not that they're ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so."--Reagan
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:17:01 pm »

Trump does.

I do not agree.
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 05:33:52 pm »
I do not agree.

Polls support HAPPY on this. I seriously doubt Ted Cruz or Rubio can attract Democrats who are sitting on the fence.

Polls show Trump getting support from 20% of registered democrats, and more blacks, women and legal Hispanics than Romney got. Trump is a general election winner. Don't throw that win away, folks.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 05:39:49 pm »

Trump does.

Funny that isn't what the numbers bear out. Did you even read the article?

On that count, Cruz is right. In the last ten polls on RealClearPolitics that matched Cruz up against Clinton in a general election, Cruz wins five times, ties three times, loses twice, and squeaks by with an 0.8% overall lead. Trump, on the other hand, gets creamed: he loses 80% of the time.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 05:48:18 pm »

Trump does.

Of course, both of them (as well as John Kasich)  do consistently better than Trump does in polling matchups against Clinton.

But that doesn't matter to a Trumpster.   Trump's a strongman who'll rule like Qaddafi.  That's what the Trumpsters want, and what the rest of us must resist with all our might.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »
Polls support HAPPY on this. I seriously doubt Ted Cruz or Rubio can attract Democrats who are sitting on the fence.

Polls show Trump getting support from 20% of registered democrats, and more blacks, women and legal Hispanics than Romney got. Trump is a general election winner. Don't throw that win away, folks.

But, the head-to-head polls against Hillary or Bernie are incongruent with that conclusion. Aren't they?
John Steinbeck

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 06:01:17 pm »
Of course, both of them (as well as John Kasich)  do consistently better than Trump does in polling matchups against Clinton.

============================

Kasich did better last night than in any other debate so far.

Donald Trump was the only one on stage who brought up the fact that both Kasich and Carson did not have fair Q/A time.  He brought it up four times.  Both Cruz and Rubio didn't bring it up once.

The long knives failed again.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 07:01:16 pm »
So many things just do not make sense to me.  It seems that the candidates that can supposedly beat Hillary are not doing well in the actual elections - where people actually vote.  If you follow that line of reasoning - are these polls saying that a greater number of Democrats are going to support these candidates than Republicans do?

Are they saying that the percentage of people that are not voting for Trump are all going to align together in the general election and vote against Trump and for Hillary?  Seriously?  Is this the pill everyone is swallowing?

Also, these polls always show that Trump has the highest unfavorable numbers - and they usually show that the highest favorable numbers belong to those who are not winning primary elections.  So - it seems to me that Trump is still getting votes from people that view him unfavorably, because he is winning at percentages that exceed his so-called "favorable" numbers.  It appears that the number of votes he is getting bleeds over into the group of so-called "unfavorable" numbers.

If you follow that line of thought - it would seem not illogical to conclude that in the general election, Trump will receive votes from people that still define him as "unfavorable".

Kind of like I did when I voted for John McCain, and then Mitt Romney.  We could go back even further than that, but you get the picture. 

Does anyone in their right mind really believe that IF Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio were to be able to win the Republican primary election - that enough Democrats and Independents would vote for them to win?  More than would do so for Trump? 

Who knows?  It's hard to measure such hypotheticals.  But I know the actual results of the primary elections so far do not do much to advance the idea that Trump is not receiving votes from people who think of him as "unfavorable".  Maybe a better polling question would not be "do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion?" - but - "do you think he is electable or unelectable?".

Of course, we've all heard of "push-polls", haven't we?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »

Donald Trump was the only one on stage who brought up the fact that both Kasich and Carson did not have fair Q/A time.  He brought it up four times.  Both Cruz and Rubio didn't bring it up once.

Cuz Trump was getting his ass kicked and he was begging for some relief!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 07:10:43 pm »

He did that because of honor or humility?
John Steinbeck