Author Topic: Donald Trump Turned Down 94.4 Percent of American Job Applicants, Applied for Hundreds of ‘H’ Visas Instead  (Read 1000 times)

Offline sinkspur

Donald Trump Turned Down 94.4 Percent of American Job Applicants, Applied for Hundreds of ‘H’ Visas

by CHARLES C. W. COOKE   

February 25, 2016 10:13 AM

Surprise! Donald Trump is a rank hypocrite on immigration.

Per the New York Times: Donald J. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach describes itself as “one of the most highly regarded private clubs in the world,” and it is not just the very-well-to-do who want to get in. Since 2010, nearly 300 United States residents have applied or been referred for jobs as waiters, waitresses, cooks and housekeepers there. But according to federal records, only 17 have been hired. In all but a handful of cases, Mar-a-Lago sought to fill the jobs with hundreds of foreign guest workers from Romania and other countries.

In his quest for the Republican presidential nomination, Mr. Trump has stoked his crowds by promising to bring back jobs that have been snatched by illegal immigrants or outsourced by corporations, and voters worried about immigration have been his strongest backers.

But he has also pursued more than 500 visas for foreign workers at Mar-a-Lago since 2010, according to the United States Department of Labor, while hundreds of domestic applicants failed to get the same jobs. Or, put another way, Trump has deliberately chosen to hire foreign workers to fill those jobs that “Americans just won’t do.” 17 out of 300? That’s 5.6 percent. 17 out of 500? That’s 3.4 percent. Bad!

So what’s Trump’s excuse? That’s he’s a businessman and that these are the realities on the ground? That, I’m afraid, won’t wash.

When Disney behaved like this, there was a loud and sustained outcry from . . . well, no less than Donald Trump himself. In an interview with Breitbart, Trump argued that Disney should be forced to rehire any Americans it had overlooked or replaced. Trump also said this: If I am President, I will not issue any H-1B visas to companies that replace American workers and my Department of Justice will pursue action against them.

And he offered this critique of expanding the “H” program: It would allow any company in America to replace any worker with cheaper foreign labor. It legalizes job theft. It gives companies the legal right to pass over Americans, displace Americans, or directly replace Americans for good-paying middle class jobs.

This attitude is is a popular one among Trump’s supporters. Indeed, Breitbart’s emissary to the Trump campaign, Matthew Boyle, has argued that “what Disney did—with the help of the U.S. government’s lax H1B immigration and visa policies—was awful.”

Moreover, he has praised Trump for supposedly standing against it: This is perhaps one of the most under-discussed issues in the 2016 GOP presidential primary election. Frontrunner Donald Trump’s immigration reform plan details exactly how he would fix this problem if he’s elected president. He wants to “increase” the “prevailing wage for H-1Bs,” one subsection of his plan lays out. Trump also wants a “requirement to hire American workers first.”

And yet, by Trump’s own logic, the H-2B program that he so heavily used used is even more egregious than the H-1Bs system that Disney took advantage of. Why? Well, because unlike H-1Bs — which can in theory be used to recruit skilled workers — H-2Bs are aimed directly at the bottom of the economic ladder.

Here’s the Times again: “You almost have them as indentured servants,” said Danny Fontenot, director of the hospitality program at Palm Beach State College. “And they affect everyone else’s wages. You can make a lot of money by never having to give your employees raises.” Greg Schell, a lawyer in Palm Beach County who has helped foreign guest workers sue employers over labor violations, said companies frequently made little effort to find local employees before applying for visas. “I have seen no demonstrated need to import guest workers for the hospitality industry,” Mr. Schell said. “Employers who want to find American workers find them.”

And clearly, Trump didn’t want to find them. Which means that, in his own words, he is guilty of gaming the system to “replace any worker with cheaper foreign labor”; he is guilty of “job theft”; and he is guilty of indulging the “legal right to pass over Americans, displace Americans, or directly replace Americans for good-paying middle class jobs.”

Slamming Disney for its use of H-1Bs, Matthew Boyle also proposed that the “scandal doesn’t seem to be going away, and only appears to be intensifying as the electoral season progresses.” What, one wonders, must Boyle then think of Trump? If we are to judge a man by his actions and not by his rhetoric — as I’m told we should — then Trump comes up short, no?

When 300 hardworking Americans tried to land a job at his resort, Trump kicked them to the curb and applied instead for 500 “H” visas.

It’s “election season” now, so I await the extensive Breitbart denunciation with bated, skeptical breath. In the meantime, the good people of America should realize that they’re being duped by a bad man who doesn’t give a hoot about anybody other than himself.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

No wonder Trump "loves the poorly educated."

They're easier to screw over.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:22:49 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'd say Tricky Don's whole immigration and jobs platform just fell apart.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

Do as I say not as I do...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline flowers

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is right in line with something else I've been looking into. It appears that Trump through all his business dealings, has actually outsourced more jobs than he has created domestically.  Most of this comes from his clothing line outsourced to China and Mexico (at least 30K employees in those facilities but they also work for various brands). Compared to 34K for Trump International Resorts. The latter though doesn't distinguish domestic and international. Also haven't figured out all those other little side projects. So that's why I haven't run completely with it yet.

It once again is part of the pattern that very little of what he does with his own businesses and own money match the words coming out of his mouth today. Without actionable evidence, that is not worth more than the expelled carbon dioxide.

Offline Carling

Now this criticism actually has merit.  I'd like to hear Trump's rationale for hiring foreign workers.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline flowers

Now this criticism actually has merit.  I'd like to hear Trump's rationale for hiring foreign workers.
Yes it does. So is that bible one too.

Offline kevindavis007

While he is threatening to use the power of the Government to force companies to people.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump said tonight on CNN that he can't find Americans willing to do the work.

Amy ‏@AmyOtto8 2h2 hours ago

Ask Marla, I mean Melania 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM1M6ZMnpzo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6i1PyfhcaM
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:36:04 am by Once-Ler »