Author Topic: Nearly 20% of Trump Fans Think Freeing the Slaves Was a Bad Idea  (Read 702 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Nearly 20% of Trump Fans Think Freeing the Slaves Was a Bad Idea
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:53 pm »
http://time.com/4236640/donald-trump-racist-supporters/

Donald Trump appears to have high levels of support among the nation’s intolerant population, according to a New York Times deep dive into polling data.

The Times found that nearly 20% of Trump supporters did not approve of freeing the slaves, according to a January YouGov/Economist poll that asked respondents if they supported or disapproved of “the executive order that freed all slaves in the states that were in rebellion against the federal government”—Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation.

Trump himself has never advocated for white supremacy, but some of his followers may. He has, however, called for a moratorium on Muslims entering the United States and called Mexican migrants “rapists.”

Exit polls from the Republican South Carolina primary reveal that 74% of voters in the state favored the Muslim ban—Trump won 41% of that group, according to the Times, which described Trump supporters as a “coalition of voters on people who are responsive to religious, social and racial intolerance.”

Trump, a billionaire outsider, has talked his way to being the front-runner in the 2016 GOP race, causing much of the Republican establishment to scramble in an attempt to find a suitable candidate to beat him. This remains to be seen as Trump won the Nevada caucuses Tuesday by a wide margin, beating Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz by more than 20 points.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Nearly 20% of Trump Fans Think Freeing the Slaves Was a Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:30:00 pm »
In related news....

Donald Trump Celebrates His Nevada Voters: ‘I Love the Poorly Educated!’

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-i-love-the-poorly-educated/

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:26 pm »

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,196312.0.html

It's worse than you think.

33% of this supporters think the internment of Japanese-Americans was a good idea.
31% find whites the superior race.
38% think the South should have won the Civil War

and

Are more likely to disapprove of Truman's desegregation of the military.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:37:55 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:32 pm »
Not coming to Trump supporters  defense here believe me, but when did a Newspaper last poll a candidates supporters a question like that, the Reconstruction?   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:41:09 pm »
Not coming to Trump supporters  defense here believe me, but when did a Newspaper last poll a candidates supporters a question like that, the Reconstruction?   
I find it interesting that someone saw a need to poll on historical events. How about asking people what they think about something a little more current like, say, dealing with ISIS, job creation and the like.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 09:44:41 pm »

I would normally agree, but there is something wrong here. Between the Duke endorsment, the racist robo calling on Trumps behalf and some of the attitudes of his supporters, there has to be a time when Don says enough is enough with all this stuff. Denounce it and shut it down.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:51:19 pm »
I would normally agree, but there is something wrong here. Between the Duke endorsment, the racist robo calling on Trumps behalf and some of the attitudes of his supporters, there has to be a time when Don says enough is enough with all this stuff. Denounce it and shut it down.

Exactly.  You can bet Hillary's campaign is accumulating all this.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 09:52:51 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,196312.0.html

It's worse than you think.

33% of this supporters think the internment of Japanese-Americans was a good idea.
31% find whites the superior race.
38% think the South should have won the Civil War

and

Are more likely to disapprove of Truman's desegregation of the military.

That explains the freeper support.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 09:55:11 pm »
I like a well constructed fact-based Trump hatchet job as will as the next guy.... But seriously this one is so bad it should be dismissed without comment.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 09:56:33 pm »
Exactly.  You can bet Hillary's campaign is accumulating all this.

They have a room full ready..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 10:15:56 pm »
OK, what?

Exit polls from the Republican South Carolina primary reveal that 74% of voters in the state favored the Muslim ban—Trump won 41% of that group, according to the Times

So - 74% of South Carolinans favor a muslim ban. Trump won under half of that group. How the hell do you get "appeals to racists" from that? Who did the other 59% of that group vote for? Hillary?

Christ, it's a dumbass hatchet job indeed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:26:48 pm »
I like a well constructed fact-based Trump hatchet job as will as the next guy.... But seriously this one is so bad it should be dismissed without comment.

I agree.  I doubt any of those who support Trump do so because they think he'll bring back slavery. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 10:28:38 pm »
I agree.  I doubt any of those who support Trump do so because they think he'll bring back slavery.

I wonder where these supposed people are who want to bring back slavery.

I've done a lot of traveling, north and south, and I've never heard such a thing, even among racists.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.