Author Topic: Courting disaster: The terrifying reality of a world with President Trump  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Courting disaster: The terrifying reality of a world with President Trump
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »
Reagan also had a far deeper program set on which he ran in 1980. And, contrary to his least attentive critics, he knew that you
don't blow up the house while eradicating the pestilence, even if he didn't get everything he hoped to get and often had to battle
within his own administration, never mind his party or a Democratic Capitol Hill.

Mr. Trump, you're no Ronald Reagan.

(You couldn't even come up with your own slogan, you poached one of Mr. Reagan's . . . )

That reminds me of this recent story:  http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/352241

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 05:29:26 pm »
So, so, true.   Reagan even had a the same tag line:  Make America Great Again.

Ronald Reagan had an eight year track record of policy support and enactment as Governor of California.   Trump has an eight year record of "firing" Grade D celebrities like Lou Ferrigno, Dennis Rodman and LaToya Jackson on a reality show.

Comparing the Reagan and Trump is ridiculous on its face.   Donald Trump and Jesse Ventura would be more apt.   .

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 05:31:02 pm »
That reminds me of this recent story:  http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/352241

That'd be just about right regarding a Trump presidency. He'd set the house on fire and the
bedbugs would still be on the loose.

He reminds me of an ancient wisecrack from Willmoore Kendall in the pages of National
Review
regarding an assassination attempt on then-Indonesian president Sukarno: The
attempt on President Sukarno's life had all the earmarks of a CIA operation. Everyone in the
room was killed except the intended victim.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:32:15 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »
I was in grad school in '79 and '80 and remember reading the exact same type of wild accusations and fear-mongering from around the world about Reagan.  They called him Ronald RayGuns and were absolutely certain he would nuke somebody shortly after taking office - they moved that damned atomic countdown clock towards midnight when he was elected.  People are the same...and the garbage they write is the same as it always was...
This is before my time, but did former Gov. Reagan ever go after private citizens for criticizing him the way Trump does so regularly?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 08:20:40 pm »
This is before my time, but did former Gov. Reagan ever go after private citizens for criticizing him the way Trump does so regularly?

Nope.  Reagan either didn't mention it or very politely and firmly called them on it, usually using humor.  He didn't seem to take those things personally.  Private citizens or public citizens.  And, they did call him all sorts of things!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 08:24:04 pm »
J. Myrle, if you want to know how Reagan spoke, this is one of the best examples possible:

http://youtu.be/eEIqdcHbc8I