Author Topic: Gov. Brian Sandoval Declines Consideration for Supreme Court Opening  (Read 371 times)

Offline flowers

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gov-brian-sandoval-declines-consideration-supreme-court-opening/story?id=37195560

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval has taken himself out of consideration as a possible Supreme Court nominee to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

In a statement, Sandoval said “earlier today I notified the White House that I do not wish to be considered at this time for possible nomination to the Supreme Court of the United States.”

“I have also spoken to Senators Reid, Heller and McConnell and expressed the same desire to them,” the Republican governor said of fellow Nevadans Minority Leader Harry Reid and Sen. Dean Heller, and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky. “The notion of being considered for a seat on the highest court in the land is beyond humbling and I am incredibly grateful to have been mentioned.”

Offline sinkspur

Re: Gov. Brian Sandoval Declines Consideration for Supreme Court Opening
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
LOL!  Back to the drawing board, Obama.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »
The GOP higher-ups should be boning up on the art of "delay, delay, delay."

If Sandoval initially encouraged the discussion then cut it off today, he is doing his part.

Most of what I have learned about him is positive, although he fails the test of absolute purity, with some.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:51:46 pm »
Yep, that is mighty white of Sandoval to decline especially since the supposed nomination was nothing but a rumor and had no real substance.

"Mari St. Martin, Sandoval's communications director, said Wednesday that the governor hasn't been contacted by the White House.

"Neither Gov. Sandoval nor his staff has been contacted by or talked to the Obama administration regarding any potential vetting for the vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court," she said."

http://onlineathens.com/national-news/2016-02-24/white-house-considers-nevada-gov-sandoval-supreme-court

In that spirit, I wish to declare I, too, am not a candidate to replace Justice Scalia either, unless I am asked.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 08:10:39 pm »
The GOP higher-ups should be boning up on the art of "delay, delay, delay."

If Sandoval initially encouraged the discussion then cut it off today, he is doing his part.

Most of what I have learned about him is positive, although he fails the test of absolute purity, with some.

He's pro-choice and he shepherded the largest tax increase in Nevada's history.  In addition, as a judge, he took the side of the EPA consistently, and was decidedly anti-business in his rulings.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:19:52 pm »
He's pro-choice and he shepherded the largest tax increase in Nevada's history.  In addition, as a judge, he took the side of the EPA consistently, and was decidedly anti-business in his rulings.
Yes, I saw him described as a liberal Republican in a mainstream news article about this rumor. He sounds like BO's kind of guy, kind of.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »
It was smart the way he did it too. I doubt I would ever vote for him but his method of declining was very politically smooth.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 08:23:28 pm »
It was smart the way he did it too. I doubt I would ever vote for him but his method of declining was very politically smooth.

He's a lawyer.  They are trained to be slick.