Author Topic: With GOP nomination looming, Trump slated to take witness stand in fraud trial  (Read 952 times)

Offline sinkspur

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/with-gop-nomination-looming-trump-slated-to-take-191550876.html?nhp=1

With GOP nomination looming, Trump slated to take witness stand in fraud trial

Michael Isikoff

February 23, 2016

Here’s a part of the political calendar that nobody in the Republican Party seems to have noticed: This spring, just as the GOP nomination battle enters its final phase, frontrunner Donald Trump could be forced to take time out for some unwanted personal business: He’s due to take the witness stand in a federal courtroom in San Diego, where he is being accused of running a financial fraud.

In court filings last Friday, lawyers for both sides in a long-running civil lawsuit over the now defunct Trump University named Trump on their witness lists. That makes it all but certain that the reality-show star and international businessman will be forced to be grilled under oath over allegations in the lawsuit that he engaged in deceptive trade practices and scammed thousands of students who enrolled in his “university” courses in response to promises he would make them rich in the real estate market.

Although the case has been winding its way through the courts for the past five years — and Trump has denied all wrongdoing — the final pretrial conference is now slated for May 6, according to the latest pleadings in the case. No trial date has been set, but the judge has indicated his interest in moving the case forward, the pleadings show.

“This is pretty amazing,” said Scott Reed, a veteran Republican Party consultant, about Trump’s upcoming due date in federal court. “Usually, you clean this stuff up before you run for president.”

Trump’s new lead lawyer in the case, Daniel Petrocelli, best known for representing one of the slain murder victims in a civil suit against O.J. Simpson, did not respond to emailed questions about Trump’s upcoming testimony, including how long he expects his client to be on the witness stand.

As noted by Yahoo News last week, the Trump University case has already intruded on Trump’s political schedule. On Dec. 10, 2015, during a day he was making international headlines over his pledge to ban Muslim immigrants from the United States, Trump managed to escape any press attention and give a closed-door pretrial deposition in the case, according to court filings reviewed by Yahoo News. Exactly what he said in the deposition remains under seal, but lawyers for Tarla Makaeff, a California yoga instructor who is the lead plaintiff in the case, cited portions of his testimony (blacked out in her pleadings) to support their contention that Trump has threatened to ruin her financially for bringing the lawsuit and that she needs protection from his “retaliation.”

But the upcoming civil trial could be a much bigger burden on Trump’s time. If it takes place in May, that would put it in the middle of the final phase of the GOP primary schedule: Nebraska and West Virginia vote on May 10, Oregon on May 17, and Washington state on May 24. Then on June 7, the biggest prize of all: the California primary (with 172 delegates at stake). New Jersey, Montana, New Mexico and South Dakota vote the same day.

While it is unclear how long the trial over Trump University will take, both sides have submitted lengthy witness lists: 72 individuals have been identified as prospective witnesses by the two sides. The case shows little sign of being settled. Trump just last December hired Petrocelli, a master litigator, and he recently identified 965 trial exhibits he expects to use at trial, including PowerPoint presentations, course curriculums, emails, letters, videos and other material. Picking jurors who have neutral views on Trump could present another time-consuming hurdle.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Liars lie. Habitual liars lie, habitually.

Offline sinkspur

Nominating Trump would immediately eliminate Hillary's "honest and trustworthy" problem.

Offline Frank Cannon

Gosh. This can't be. A perpetually failing real estate developer who shills everything from rotten vodka to cheap ugly ties would never get involved with grifting money from brain dead idiots at the Learning Annex.

Offline R4 TrumPence

Lets not forget the bogus charges against Tom Delay :pondering:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Like his Soros partnership bankruptcy fraud case against him, these charges and suits extend back well before this election cycle, in some cases like the RICO case, back to when he was identifying as a Democrat.

Offline sinkspur

Like his Soros partnership bankruptcy fraud case against him, these charges and suits extend back well before this election cycle, in some cases like the RICO case, back to when he was identifying as a Democrat.

This Trump University suit has been in the courts for five years. 

How Trump didn't settle this before now is beyond me.

But, his fan bois and girls won't care, even if he's found guilty of defrauding these people.

Offline R4 TrumPence

IMO if  it was a really big deal, he would not have run. He is not a stupid man as some here seem to think :th_10444:

Offline Frank Cannon

Delay got caught up in a bogus University scam too where the participants sued him for fraud? I gotta stay more current with events.

Offline ABX

IMO if  it was a really big deal, he would not have run. He is not a stupid man as some here seem to think :th_10444:

Or more likely, his ego is so big he thinks he can buy his way out of any problem as his history has shown. The Trump U and Soros/Trump RICO suits aren't the only ones. At that, the latter he already had a $1.4Billion dollar summary judgement against him and his judge friend refused to file the judgement, instead telling him he could fight it again. That one is pretty ugly if you read the back and forth that even went up to the NY Supreme Court.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This Trump University suit has been in the courts for five years. 

How Trump didn't settle this before now is beyond me.

Excellent point.

But, his fan bois and girls won't care, even if he's found guilty of defrauding these people.

Counter productive anger.  Some Trump supporters post here and they are smart people with valid arguments against the current political system.  At this point it should be clear that they can not be shamed into rejecting Trump.

I tend to disregard the opinions of those who lash out at me in anger...even if they have a reasonable point.

Offline sinkspur

A fraud lawsuit is a really big deal.  Not to his supporters of course, but it really is a big deal.

Trump has proven that there are enough tribal-level people in America who are angry at "them" that a slick, demagogic salesman can sucker them into thinking he's actually going to make life better for them.

Offline Frank Cannon

Isn't that what they are saying about Hitlary? The new way to outrun criminality is to run for office and claim the charges are a witch hunt. It seems to be the smart play these days for certain types of people.

Offline sinkspur

Isn't that what they are saying about Hitlary? The new way to outrun criminality is to run for office and claim the charges are a witch hunt. It seems to be the smart play these days for certain types of people.

You are shrewd, dude.  I like the way you analyze.

Offline ABX

Related thread as this is also currently in the NY court system (and actually a way bigger deal than the Trump U lawsuit)

RICO Lawsuit Filed Against George Soros and Donald Trump

MONEY LAUNDERING & BANKRUPTCY FRAUD INVOLVING SOROS’S INVISIBLE INTEREST IN CONSECO & THE GM BLDG
NEW YORK, NY – Law Offices of David H. Relkin, Esq. on behalf of Leslie Dick Worldwide Ltd. has filed a Federal RICO Complaint in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (Case No. 08-CV-7900) against George Soros, Deutsche Bank, Vornado Realty Trust, Fortress Investment Group, Donald J. Trump & 12 other RICO conspirators for $4.2 Billion in damages....

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=174477.0 
(the thread has a lot of links on the evolution of that suit)

Offline R4 TrumPence

WOW!
You guys do not know Trump at all! 

Offline R4 TrumPence

Ivana and marla have nothing but good things to say about Trump.  I seriously doubt their divorce decree, said, they would lose their income if he ran for president

:mauslaff:

His current wife is crazy about him!

Oh and Sinky, he has only been married 3 times not 4!

Offline sinkspur

WOW!

Guys like Trump have been around for years.  Nasty bastards who ridicule other people and gather mobs to throw rocks at any who oppose them.

Offline ABX

WOW!

I've read his books since high school. I studied him and his business practices very closely during my MBA when he was one of the case studies in staying just on the legal side of the line for corruption (ethics class- this was not in a favorable light of course).  I would say I know him very, very well which is why opposed him long before it was 'cool' to. William F Buckley warned us of Trump way back in 2000 doing exactly what he is doing now and the populist reaction to him. Andrew Breitbart as well just a year before his death. They all saw his ambition and understood his corruption.

I'm not ashamed to have the same opinion of Trump as William F Buckley.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430187/william-f-buckley-donald-trump-demagoguery-cigar-aficionado

(remember, this was written in 2000 but it reads like it could have been written yesterday)

...Look for the narcissist. The most obvious target in today’s lineup is, of course, Donald Trump. When he looks at a glass, he is mesmerized by its reflection. If Donald Trump were shaped a little differently, he would compete for Miss America. But whatever the depths of self-enchantment, the demagogue has to say something. So what does Trump say? That he is a successful businessman and that that is what America needs in the Oval Office. There is some plausibility in this, though not much. The greatest deeds of American Presidents — midwifing the new republic; freeing the slaves; harnessing the energies and vision needed to win the Cold War — had little to do with a bottom line.....

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430187/william-f-buckley-donald-trump-demagoguery-cigar-aficionado

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:09:35 am by AbaraXas »

Offline R4 TrumPence

LOL

So what haS TRUMP done that is so different than any politician including the current crop????????

Offline ABX

LOL

So what haS TRUMP done that is so different than any politician including the current crop????????

I don't recall Cruz or Rubio buying off politicians to take private citizen's property. I don't recall them also getting properties condemned so they can buy it cheap. I don't recall them buying of legislators to prevent competitors from bringing in businesses into his territory. I don't recall either of them in long financial partnerships with George Soros. I don't recall either of them personally outsourcing their own businesses to China or Mexico. I don't recall either of them hiring illegal alien workers for any of their projects. I don't recall either using structured bankruptcy to pass off business expenses in the hundreds of millions back to the taxpayers....

I can keep going- Trump is the poster child for Corrupt Crony Corporatism- the kind of actions Conservatives used to stand against.  How Trump operates is far worse than what we've condemned Harry Reid's family for doing in Nevada. It is on par with the corruption in the Clinton family. Hell, Whitewater was nothing compared to some of Trump's deals. Tony Rezko's shenanigans for Obama- multiply that by a thousand for similar actions with the GM Building project (aforementioned RICO lawsuit).

Oh yea, speaking of Tony Rezko.... well, that may be for another day.

But why would we damn any of that when the Dems do it yet accept it when someone who lately has an R behind his name does it exponentially more just because he uses some flowery language?

Offline R4 TrumPence

I don't recall Cruz or Rubio buying off politicians to take private citizen's property. I don't recall them also getting properties condemned so they can buy it cheap. I don't recall them buying of legislators to prevent competitors from bringing in businesses into his territory. I don't recall either of them in long financial partnerships with George Soros. I don't recall either of them personally outsourcing their own businesses to China or Mexico. I don't recall either of them hiring illegal alien workers for any of their projects. I don't recall either using structured bankruptcy to pass off business expenses in the hundreds of millions back to the taxpayers....

I can keep going- Trump is the poster child for Corrupt Crony Corporatism- the kind of actions Conservatives used to stand against.  How Trump operates is far worse than what we've condemned Harry Reid's family for doing in Nevada. It is on par with the corruption in the Clinton family. Hell, Whitewater was nothing compared to some of Trump's deals. Tony Rezko's shenanigans for Obama- multiply that by a thousand for similar actions with the GM Building project (aforementioned RICO lawsuit).

Oh yea, speaking of Tony Rezko.... well, that may be for another day.

But why would we damn any of that when the Dems do it yet accept it when someone who lately has an R behind his name does it exponentially more just because he uses some flowery language?

AB I am sorry. but all that is such bullshit, i am not responding...no point, you won't listen anyway.
I know w2hat I am talking about. Sorry I can't share it!

Offline Frank Cannon

AB I am sorry. but all that is such bullshit, i am not responding...no point, you won't listen anyway.
I know w2hat I am talking about. Sorry I can't share it!

Even Trump admitted to being involved with some of those things. Don't you even believe the stuff that Trump says about himself?

That is true devotion for the one you have been waiting for.

Offline R4 TrumPence

Even Trump admitted to being involved with some of those things. Don't you even believe the stuff that Trump says about himself?

That is true devotion for the one you have been waiting for.

No,I know things that I can not say, concerning psyops and military contractors, to which Trump backed.