Author Topic: California considers banning anorexic models  (Read 436 times)

Offline flowers

California considers banning anorexic models
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:09 am »
http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/California-considers-banning-anorexic-models-6847927.php

Assemblyman Marc Levine, D-San Rafael, said AB2539 is an effort to reduce the number of eating disorders among models by creating industry health standards and requiring modeling agencies to be licensed by the California Labor Commissioner. Under the legislation, models would need a physician’s certificate attesting that they don’t suffer from an eating disorder, which agencies would be required to keep on file or face a fine.

“This is a societal problem as unhealthy models have become role models for young people,” Levine said in a statement. “As California often leads the nation and the world, this bill will help assure that our children will see healthy images on magazines and fashion websites.”

Last year, France approved a law that bans excessively thin models by requiring they meet a certain body mass index. Italy, Israel and Spain have also passed similar legislation, Levine’s office pointed out. AB2539 would not necessarily require models meet a certain body mass, instead allowing the Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board and Department of Public Health to work with medical experts to create health standards for models.

Here  we are.  Government gone wild. Anything goes.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: California considers banning anorexic models
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 03:43:30 am »
I guess models don't qualify as people in the state of Ca,and have no rights.

Plus,IMO,this is nothing more than a grandstanding BS idea to start with. Public pressure is already doing a pretty good job of changing the modeling industry towards more "normal" looking models,so all this Dim congresscritter is doing is piling on and taking credit for the work done by others.

People come in all sorts of "normal" body types. Some people have thyroids that allow them to eat pretty much anything they want to without gaining any weight. Should these people be punished by law for something that is out of their control?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:07:27 am »
I've known several models who are as thin as sticks and in perfect shape. They don't have any eating disorders, it is just their genes.  My wife has been like this, she was always very thin but can eat like a horse. Just a very high metabolism (ie she runs her butt off, literally).

I would bet these bureaucrats would label them as anorexic.

Fat shaming is a buzz word but what about fit shaming.

Why is out of shape being fat now protected but potentially out of shape being thin isn't. Not everyone who is rail thin has an eating disorder.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:10:46 am »
I like big butts and I cannot lie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9at5RlFu4
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:02:57 am »
I like big butts and I cannot lie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9at5RlFu4

She just so.... BLACK!!!   

I miss valley girls.  I got older but they stayed the same age. ;)