Author Topic: What Voters Did NOT Vote For in South Carolina  (Read 556 times)

Offline libertybele

What Voters Did NOT Vote For in South Carolina
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:54 pm »
Horowitz: What Voters Did NOT Vote For in South Carolina

..."There are three indelible factors in politics that are often overlooked by those of us who live and breathe this stuff for a living.  1) Perception is reality, even if the reality is antithetical to the public perception of a candidate; 2) voters ultimately cast ballots for individuals based on persona, not a coherent set of principles; and 3) name ID is the single biggest determinant of success.

As a result, political commentators all too often think that because, in their minds, candidate A believes in one set of principles and candidate B believes in another set of principles, voters who chose candidate A desired those policies and principles over candidate B’s.  Unfortunately, elections don’t work that way.  Many voters have no idea where a candidate really stands on the issues and often think their candidate believes the very opposite of his real position. ..

Consider the following: By a margin of 70-20%, Trump supporters in South Carolina, according to a PPP poll, want the Confederate Flag to fly over the state capital.  But here’s the kicker: Trump himself supported Nikki Haley’s decision to remove it!  Again, perception is reality, even when the reality is antithetical to the perception.

More than 55% of South Carolina voters picked Trump and Rubio combined.  But it’s quite evident from the exit polling and the mood of the electorate that voters did NOT vote for the following (positions taken by at least one of the aforementioned candidates):

Single-payer health care
    Eminent domain
    Women in combat
    Being an “honest broker” between Israel and the Palestinians
    Open borders
    The homosexual agenda
    Judicial supremacy
    Abortion and funding Planned Parenthood
    Raising taxes on the wealthy
    Cutting deals with the Democrats and establishment Republicans

In fact, it’s quite evident that voters want the exact opposite.  The GOP electorate is larger, more conservative, and more religious than ever.  And the 800-pound gorilla in the room is immigration.  You can’t have a party that ignores its base on such a critical issue for over 20 years and get away with it forever. Whether Trump is sincere or not will be determined in the future, but his initial decision to jump on this issue has forever cemented his perception as the anti-establishment candidate who will fight political correctness. Three-fourths of the voters support a temporary ban on Muslim immigration, an issue we were proud to spotlight early and often here at Conservative Review – long before Donald Trump ran for president.

In addition, among voters to whom “shared religious beliefs matter,” Trump won a plurality, despite the fact that, in reality, he is not very religious at all.  But he still won in a record turnout among Evangelicals.  Again, perception is reality.  And although Cruz won a plurality among self-described “very conservative” voters, Donald Trump still placed a close second, which means he is clearly siphoning off large numbers of the core base in addition to non-ideological and new voters...  

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/02/what-voters-did-not-vote-for-in-south-carolina#sthash.kOd3fqAw.dpuf
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

Re: What Voters Did NOT Vote For in South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Little late to tell the voters who to vote for?? They tried that once and it did not work BUT let's tell everyone WHOM they should have voted for and why? CRUZ did not even win a COUNTY and 75% are EVAN! :silly:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:07:30 pm »
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Little late to tell the voters who to vote for?? They tried that once and it did not work BUT let's tell everyone WHOM they should have voted for and why? CRUZ did not even win a COUNTY and 75% are EVAN! :silly:

Denial is not only a river in Egypt. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
Another hysteric emotion base diatribe from the Conservative Pharisees

So now “Principled Conservatism” means letting your emotions over come your reason. “Whaa either elect my candidate or I will take my ball and go home!”

Sorry wasn’t interested when the Left tried to substitute emotion and volume for thought. Certainly am not going to buy those tactics when “Conservatives” attempt to use them.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:26:36 pm »

So now “Principled Conservatism” means letting your emotions over come your reason. “Whaa either elect my candidate or I will take my ball and go home!”

Sorry wasn’t interested when the Left tried to substitute emotion and volume for thought. Certainly am not going to buy those tactics when “Conservatives” attempt to use them.
That's exactly what your guy is doing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »

Anyone who disagrees with you is coming from emotion, yet you guys support a man who is all emotion, who appeals to the basest instincts of his audience and who uses no facts in backing up his issues.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 05:40:48 pm »

For the second time I ask you exactly what FACTS or reason supports any conservative voting for Donald Trump?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 05:57:53 pm »
Anyone who disagrees with you is coming from emotion, yet you guys support a man who is all emotion, who appeals to the basest instincts of his audience and who uses no facts in backing up his issues.

Exactly.  It is no secret that the GOP voting base is disgruntled and Trump has been able to bring the 'hot issue' of illegal immigration to the forefront and dominate the media.  If you listen closely to what he says, he never states how he is going to accomplish something or lays out a substantial plan, he just says "trust me I will do it" and then follows up by stating he will "make America great again".  I have listened to several interviews and when asked to go into detail, he just says "believe me, I'll get it done".  I trust him about as much as I trust a used car salesman on the corner lot in a seedy neighborhood.

There is too much at stake to put the wrong person in the White House. The next president will appoint one or more justices to the Supreme Court.  I'll take my proven conservative over the used car salesman.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:24:39 pm »
Exactly.  It is no secret that the GOP voting base is disgruntled and Trump has been able to bring the 'hot issue' of illegal immigration to the forefront and dominate the media.  If you listen closely to what he says, he never states how he is going to accomplish something or lays out a substantial plan, he just says "trust me I will do it" and then follows up by stating he will "make America great again".  I have listened to several interviews and when asked to go into detail, he just says "believe me, I'll get it done".  I trust him about as much as I trust a used car salesman on the corner lot in a seedy neighborhood.

There is too much at stake to put the wrong person in the White House. The next president will appoint one or more justices to the Supreme Court.  I'll take my proven conservative over the used car salesman.

People just don't understand that Trump is a Populist cut out of the William Jennings Bryan mold and updated for the 21st century. He's not going to do conservative things all the time, nor liberal things all the time. What he will do is put his finger in the air and try and figure out what the mass of Americans want on that issue. He doesn't have to be specific, he just has to make sure what he's proposing is popular.

Whether he governs as a populist if he wins is another thing, but that's how he's selling it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:25:32 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »

Trump's campaign is based entirely on emotion.  NO thought.

btw, do you even know what a Pharisee is, Johnny?

Not likely...........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 07:30:27 pm »

Great post, libertybele!  :patriot:

WAY too much at stake.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.