Author Topic: Donald Trump supported the Iraq War in 2002  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Donald Trump supported the Iraq War in 2002
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 06:42:40 pm »
Has anybody considered that he might have forgotten about the time he supported the Iraq war by saying "Yeah, I guess so"? Maybe after years of speaking out against it he forgot about his very first impressions. I mean, he could have intentionally lied, but I suspect he probably thought he was telling the truth.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:47:40 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 06:45:13 pm »
Fair enough. 

But we do have results.  So, are you pleased with the outcomes of removing Saddam?

I was pleased with it in 2010.  Not now.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
Has anybody considered that he might have forgotten about the time he supported the Iraq war by saying "Yeah, I guess so"? Maybe after years of speaking out against it he forgot about his very first impressions. I mean, he could have intentionally lied, but I suspect he probably thought he was telling the truth.

It was a halfhearted "Yeah, I guess so" and it was said to a shock jock.

When Donald Trump is big on something, you know it.

When you actually hear him in the interview, it was not full throated support as his detractors are trying to say.

By Monday I should have for y'all audio of what Trump was saying in 2003 and 2004.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 07:21:22 pm »
It was a halfhearted "Yeah, I guess so" and it was said to a shock jock.

When Donald Trump is big on something, you know it.

When you actually hear him in the interview, it was not full throated support as his detractors are trying to say.

By Monday I should have for y'all audio of what Trump was saying in 2003 and 2004.

Yeah right. Just some dopey shock jock. It was the Howard Stern Show which was one of the top radio shows in the country at the time. Stern also was generating some top interviews. That is why Trump was on the show in the first place. Trump was candid throughout the entire interview so what he said here is what he thought at the time. Too bad it is contrary to what he is saying today. It is also too bad that this interview was recorded for posterity so everyone can hear what he actually said back then.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 08:34:09 pm »
In 2002, everybody was for the war. Images of collapsing towers with people jumping to their deaths was still burning in our minds. Everyone was for the war, Republicans, Democrats, the Amish, everyone. Support was above 90 percent. It wasn't cool to be against the war.

But, by 2003-4 it had become okay to question the Iraq invasion. There are dozens of radio interviews in 2003 and 2004 of Donald Trump blasting the war as the biggest mistake. Mark Simone had dozens of conversations with Trump. Trump was dead set against the invasion. It's public knowledge.

Now I heard a replay of the Howard Stern interview in 2002 with Donald Trump, answering Stern's question with a halfhearted, "yes, I guess so" when he asked if Trump supported the war. That was 2002 when NO ONE was expressing anything but solidarity with George W Bush and the war effort.

So to use this as an example of Trump lying is disingenuous and deliberately mischaracterizing Trump's position on the war.

Typical of Trump's  detractors, grabbing at straws.

So, your entire point here is that Trump's opinions shift with the shift in directions of public opinions.

Is that a character trait of a leader, to believe what he believes in so long as the majority believes in the same thing?

Are a leader's convictions pliable things that shift and change according to the shifts and changes in public opinion polls? 

So when Trump The President starts loading families up in buses and dropping them off on the other side of the border and public opinion explodes in opposition to that spectacle, what will Trump supporters expect of President The Donald?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »
In the immediate post 9/11 environment most people supported, or at least accepted, the Iraq War.  We craved security and we wanted revenge -- any revenge.

But the question "what the hell are we doing?" was raised soon after the war started -- albeit whispered in Republican circles.  What American interest was being served by the massive loss of blood and treasure?  What mission was accomplished and how did it make us safer?  What revenge did we extract?

Yes, Obama ending the Iraq War as he did was a disgrace.  But sooner or later we will have to come to grips with the truth that Obama's actions compounded the original mistake ---- and that was starting this war. 

Nothing good has -- or will  -- come from it.

I feel sometimes like I'm on Daily Kos.

There was no immediate response or connection between 9/11 and OIF.  Operation Enduring Freedom -  IN AFGHANISTAN - was the reactionary assault against those who perpetrated the terror on 9/11/2001.

The Iraq campaign was a far different one, with the UN and Congress involved from the start.   Regime change was the stated policy of the American government going back to Clinton's Administration.   Didn't you wonder why - after the bombings at our embassies in Kenya and Tanzanya (al Qaeda) - Clinton lobbed a couple cruise missiles into Afghanistan and ... huh ... Sudan?,

The Sudanese al-Shifa "aspirin factory" as the enemy media called it was one of the targets.  Why?

Well, it turns out it wasn't producing consumer pain relievers but more nefariously was suspected of being a bin-Laden owned developer of WMD.   Guess who their ONLY customer was?   If you guessed Saddam Hussein you get a cookie.

Hussein had two females named "Dr.Germ" and "Mrs. Anthrax" in his inner circle with his two ne'er do well loser sons.  The Russians, Israelis, Egyptians, Brits, French, Saudis ... everyone ... believed he had the materials and technologies to build and deploy WMD.  Even the idiots in the Democrat cabal stated their assurance he had chemical weapons:  http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm 

He had flaunted every UN Resolution and he was taking pot shots at our Naval aviators enforcing the UN No Fly Zone.  That's an act of War if you didn't know.

The problem with OIF was that there was no way to understand in a police state like Iraq what devastation Saddam had wreaked on the institutions and people of Iraq during the sanction era.   All the corrupt Oil for Food funding went to weaponry and sponsoring terror was the compelling existential threat.

OIF was hard, but it was not a mistake.   Obama cutting and running, after ridiculously hard won success to deliver a fragile - yet relatively stable - democracy was the betrayal.  Don't believe just me, read "Duty" by Bob Gates or the Petraeus or Panetta books.

We still have troops in Germany, Japan and Korea.  When we break something, we try to fix it again.  We were "fixing" Iraq until the jug-eared a-hole took office.

But, it is SO easy these days on Conservative message boards to engage in revisionist history and spew misdirected anger and grievance.  Where were some folks on the far right, and were they sentient enough in the 90s when the entire Iraq drama was unfolding,  to get what was at stake?

I shake my head sometimes.  I don't get it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:33:34 pm by ArneFufkin »