Author Topic: Byron York: In South Carolina, Bush family, friends gather as end nears  (Read 2254 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2583643

Byron York: In South Carolina, Bush family, friends gather as end nears
By Byron York (@ByronYork) • 2/19/16 8:21 AM

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Jeb Bush's brother, the former president, his sister-in-law, the former first lady, his mother, his sister, another brother, and of course his wife and children have come to South Carolina, where George W. Bush's political fortunes were made, in hopes of vaulting Jeb back into the Republican presidential race. But with poll after poll showing Bush hovering around 10 percent — fighting with John Kasich for fourth place — that looks less and less likely every hour.

So it wasn't surprising that there was a big media turnout at Bush's townhall here in Columbia Thursday. Yes, there's plenty of press to go around now; South Carolina is teeming with reporters. But there is also a Jeb death watch underway. That's especially true after Bush held a downer of a townhall on Wednesday in Summerville in which some audience members bemoaned the condition of his campaign and wanted to know why he can't raise his game against Donald Trump.

"It's all been decided, apparently," Bush said in frustration. "The pundits have already figured it out. We don't have to go vote. I should stop campaigning maybe."

Bush has mentioned that he knows obituaries are being written for his campaign. I talked to one reporter who noted wryly that when Bush made such an obituary comment, at that precise moment, he, the reporter, was in fact working on Bush's campaign obituary.

Bush is asked about it everywhere he goes. Is his campaign running out of money? How high does he have to finish on Saturday to stay in the race? When will he drop out?

"We've been rising in the polls, I feel good about where we are, and I'm going to work hard," Bush told reporters as he emerged from his Jeb! campaign bus at the Metropolitan Convention Center in Columbia.

The Bush who spoke to maybe 150 to 200 people a few minutes later gave the impression of a man who is working very hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other. There were veiled references to his troubles everywhere.

One came when Bush brought up his unsuccessful run for governor of Florida 22 years ago. "In 1994, I ran and I lost," he said. "It was a great experience. Losing is actually one of the best things that you can do if you're interested in proving yourself, right? You never learn when you're successful. You always think it's all perfect, it will always work out. When you get knocked back is when you adjust, when you learn, when you grow."

By that standard, the 2016 presidential campaign has been a major learning and growing experience. As Bush finished up his prepared remarks, he hinted that it's been a long, tough road. "I ask for your support," he said. "And if you're not supporting me, I ask for your prayers, because this is a fun journey, but it gets arduous from time to time."

Several audience members, well-meaning supporters, offered Bush their best wishes. "Thank you," said one woman who asked a question about homelessness and mental illness. "I know there are a lot of people praying with you … so don't lose heart."

A man rose to lament the state of the GOP race. "Thank you for running an inspirational and substantive campaign, not a shallow and accusational campaign," he told Bush. "My question is, how do we bring sanity back to this process this year, so that we don't end up with the clown?" No one had to say who "the clown" was.

There were moments when Bush seemed distracted, off his game, or barely able to conceal his unhappiness. At one point, a little girl asked, in a sweet child's voice, "What's your favorite book?"

"My favorite book?" Bush said. "Art of the Deal."

It's not the best idea to respond to a child's innocent question with a cynical, adult answer. So Bush went on to address her question, but he seemed at a loss to name a favorite book.

"Favorite book," he repeated, stalling for time. "I love reading. The last book I read is actually the Jon Meacham book on my dad, which I loved … I really enjoyed that book, I recommend that one. But I like reading. I like reading a lot. I hope you do, too."

In the future, if there is one, Bush should probably have a popular, stock answer at hand. How about Huckleberry Finn? Or A Tale of Two Cities? Something everybody has encountered in school. Of course, Bush's brother George, or at least the 2000 version of his brother George, would have thought for a minute and answered The Bible. All Jeb could think of was a new book on his father, which probably did nothing to ease the concerns of voters worried that he can't escape the gravitational force of his family.

As it turned out, that subject — the Bush dynasty issue — actually came up, and Bush almost totally ignored it. A college-age man stood up and said to Bush, "A lot of people my age, my peers, have concerns with the Bush name, not because it's a bad name or anything, but just because you're the third Bush. What is your message to that concern?"

Bush took a few seconds to make a joke — "I can tell you first hand, you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth, I'm not trying to break the record with the Adams family" — and then answered a question that had not been asked. "I hope people will hear my plan, so your age group, generally the concerns are, how am I going to pay off my student loan?" Bush said. "The student loan program was nationalized by Obamacare …"

Huh? The young man had an entirely legitimate question, one shared by millions of Americans, and Bush blew it off.

Still, say one thing for Bush: He may have been down, he may have been working hard just to keep moving, but he gave the audience a lot of time. Combining his speaking time and Q&A, Bush was in front of the voters for an hour and a half. He didn't retreat to the safety of his bus.

As Bush was finishing up, press aides told reporters that he would take a few questions outside before leaving. He wanted to comment on the strange feud between Donald Trump and the pope that was breaking on everyone's newsfeed at that moment. (Bush expressed respect for the pope but said a nation must craft immigration and border policies on its own.)

As Bush was leaving, a reporter said to him, "Your aides have shot down what they say are false reports that you are on the verge of running out of money. Can you assure your supporters that that's the case?"

"Yeah, I can," Bush said.

"Do you have enough to go on to Nevada?"

"Yeah, absolutely."

After Bush got on the bus, campaign manager Danny Diaz stuck around to take a few questions. Those questions were, of course, about the campaign's health.

"Are you worried about fundraising drying up if you don't finish in the top three here?" asked one reporter.

"I think that's a question to be asked of every candidate," Diaz said.

"I'm asking you."

"We're focused on Saturday and doing very well here," Diaz answered.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Byron York: In South Carolina, Bush family, friends gather as end nears
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:16:27 pm »
 :flag:

Good bye, Jeb Bush. Many of us still have great affection for the Bushes. George HW was my first vote as an American citizen, George W was my last enthusiastic vote for a Bush candidate...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:19:17 pm »

Good bye, Jeb Bush. Many of us still have great affection for the Bushes. George HW was my first vote as an American citizen, George W was my last enthusiastic vote for a Bush candidate...

His supporters won't go to Trump when he quits.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
Perhaps Jeb and family have finally figured out that his continued presence is only serving to help Mr. Trump!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:33:19 pm »
Perhaps Jeb and family have finally figured out that his continued presence is only serving to help Mr. Trump!

Trump is a locomotive. It matters not whether a Bush is in the race, or a Ted Cruz, or a Marco Rubio. Just my humble opinion.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »
Trump is a locomotive. It matters not whether a Bush is in the race, or a Ted Cruz, or a Marco Rubio. Just my humble opinion.

Really?  65% of Republicans are supporting somebody else.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 04:44:10 pm »
Really?  65% of Republicans are supporting somebody else.

Okay, let's accept that.

Rubio is polling @~15%. Now, I'm just a dumb doctor but doesn't that mean that 85% are supporting somebody else? Feel free to correct me.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »
His supporters won't go to Trump when he quits.

This article is about Jeb Bush.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »
Okay, let's accept that.

Rubio is polling @~15%. Now, I'm just a dumb doctor but doesn't that mean that 85% are supporting somebody else? Feel free to correct me.

Yes, but Rubio has the potential to pick up support from others as they drop out.  Trump, IMO, is unique.  If you're not supporting Trump now, you won't.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:54:19 am »
Yes!

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:23 am »
This article is about Jeb Bush.

So? For this poster everything, literally everything, has to do with (dissing) Trump, even a sunset.

As for this: "His supporters won't go to Trump when he quits".

How devastating for Trump. Should things turn out that way I'll bet he will be crushed.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
For the first and probably only time I want Kasich and Rubio to do well tonight in the primary.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »

Turning on their own is an unpleasant quality of contemporary online so-called conservatives.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln