Author Topic: Cruz unloads on Trump after slipping in South Carolina polls  (Read 2214 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz unloads on Trump after slipping in South Carolina polls
« on: February 17, 2016, 06:04:50 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/269700-cruz-unloads-on-trump-after-slipping-in-south-carolina

February 17, 2016, 12:54 pm
Cruz unloads on Trump after slipping in South Carolina polls

By Ben Kamisar

Ted Cruz on Wednesday assailed Donald Trump for threatening legal action against his campaign, unloading on the Republican front-runner ahead of the South Carolina primary.

"Donald Trump doesn’t want to be under oath answering questions about his own record because his position is anyone who points to his record is somehow lying. This threat and lawsuit is the very definition of frivolous," Cruz said at a press conference in South Carolina.

Trump’s campaign has sent a cease-and-desist letter to Cruz over an ad running in South Carolina that paints the businessman as supportive of abortion rights. The ad features a clip from 1999 where Trump calls himself  “very pro-choice.”

"Bullying others and threatening frivolous lawsuits is one tool he's used. The bullying is not going to work here,” Cruz said.

New polls released Wednesday show Cruz trailing Trump by double digits in South Carolina ahead of Saturday’s primary. The state had been seen as favorable territory for Cruz, given its conservative and evangelical bent, but Trump appears poised for a huge win in the state.

A new Monmouth University poll gives Trump 35 percent support in South Carolina, nearly doubling Cruz, who garnered just 19 percent.

Seeking to shake up the race, Cruz on Wednesday laid out a heated point-by-point argument about Trump’s past positions on abortion. He noted that Trump said last year that his sister would make a "phenomenal" Supreme Court justice.

"Who is his sister?" Cruz asked.

"A court of appeals judge appointed by Bill Clinton. His sister has an extreme left-wing record on the issue of abortion."

The Supreme Court has become a focal point of the presidential race following the death Saturday of Justice Antonin Scalia.

Cruz went on to accuse another rival, Marco Rubio, of taking "parallel strategies" with Trump for refusing to engage on his own record.

"Marco Rubio is behaving like Donald Trump with a smile," Cruz said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

Re: Cruz unloads on Trump after slipping in South Carolina polls
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:07:24 pm »
Trump’s campaign has sent a cease-and-desist letter to Cruz over an ad running in South Carolina that paints the businessman as supportive of abortion rights. The ad features a clip from 1999 where Trump calls himself  “very pro-choice.”

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbca-7bc374

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:18 pm »
Trump has no standing to sue Cruz and everybody knows it.

More showboating.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:24:45 pm »
Trump has no standing to sue Cruz and everybody knows it.

More showboating.

Trump sues when he is made to feel small, insufficiently wealthy, threatened or mocked. He sues for sport, he sues to regain a sense of control, and he sues to make a point. He sues as a means of saying “you’re fired” to those he does not employ.
But he sues, most of all, to make headlines and to reinforce the notion that he is powerful.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/06/trump-sued-everyone-but-his-hairdresser.html

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 06:39:24 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbca-7bc374

Frankly, I just don’t get it. It’s like we are living out the movie The Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Trump supporters say here and on talk radio, that “I will not vote for  [ FILL IN THE BLANK ] because he once supported  [  FILL IN THE BLANK  ].
Yet, they don’t care one iota  about Trump’s far more liberal positions. To them his liberal  history (some of it recent history)  is nonexistent.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:41:24 pm »
Frankly, I just don’t get it. It’s like we are living out the movie The Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Trump supporters say here and on talk radio, that “I will not vote for  [ FILL IN THE BLANK ] because he once supported  [  FILL IN THE BLANK  ].
Yet, they don’t care one iota  about Trump’s far more liberal positions. To them his liberal  history (some of it recent history)  is nonexistent.

Yes, and if you figure it out, would you let me know?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:44:58 pm »

They are afflicted with the same mania that gripped Obama's supporters:  messianism.

And the inevitable disappointment will be exactly the same.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:52:17 pm »
They are afflicted with the same mania that gripped Obama's supporters:  messianism.

And the inevitable disappointment will be exactly the same.

No, the inevitable disappointment will not be the same,  because Trumpism will be nipped in the bud by patriots of all political stripes.   This Republican is prepared to leave my party if Trump is the nominee.   Millions like me will follow.   Evil must be confronted and stopped, by any means necessary.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »
No, the inevitable disappointment will not be the same,  because Trumpism will be nipped in the bud by patriots of all political stripes.   This Republican is prepared to leave my party if Trump is the nominee.   Millions like me will follow.   Evil must be confronted and stopped, by any means necessary.

I think you're right. I look at all the evangelicals that are swarming around Trump likes flies on a cow patty and wondered out loud this morning how many of them sat out 2012 because of Romney's Mormonism.

Well, get ready for payback, cuz I will walk in November if he's the nominee.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 07:12:05 pm »

Jazz, I'm willing to do something effective. Just leaving the party isn't by itself effective, so I'm guessing you mean something beyond that. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »
Jazz, I'm willing to do something effective. Just leaving the party isn't by itself effective, so I'm guessing you mean something beyond that.

If need be, I am ready to address the fall election as a choice between the lesser of two evils, and work and vote to defeat the greater evil.

I will not cop out and stay home on election day.   If someone like Bloomberg runs as an independent,  I may vote third party, but only if such vote does not work to help enable the election of Donald Trump.   There is no greater threat to our nation than this madman.  Don't get me wrong,  I dispise Hillary Clinton as venal and corrupt and wrong on the issues.  But Trumpism is a worse threat, of that I have little doubt.   

The Germans in 1933 had the chance to reject Hitler at the ballot box, and instead succumbed to his seductive appeal to their anger and prejudices.   The American people will not be similarly fooled.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:12 pm »
If need be, I am ready to address the fall election as a choice between the lesser of two evils, and work and vote to defeat the greater evil.

I will not cop out and stay home on election day.   If someone like Bloomberg runs as an independent,  I may vote third party, but only if such vote does not work to help enable the election of Donald Trump.   There is no greater threat to our nation than this madman.  Don't get me wrong,  I dispise Hillary Clinton as venal and corrupt and wrong on the issues.  But Trumpism is a worse threat, of that I have little doubt.   

The Germans in 1933 had the chance to reject Hitler at the ballot box, and instead succumbed to his seductive appeal to their anger and prejudices.   The American people will not be similarly fooled.

You will vote for Bloomberg or for Hillary, because Trump is equal to Hitler in 1933 ?

Thanks for laying it out, so clearly.

I know plenty of people currently supporting Trump, and they aren't anywhere as nutty as it seems you are. Don't let your hair catch on fire, btw.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:26 pm »
You will vote for Bloomberg or for Hillary, because Trump is equal to Hitler in 1933 ?

I know plenty of people currently supporting Trump, and they aren't anywhere as nutty as it seems you are. Don't let your hair catch on fire, btw.

You don't even know crazy.  There are people out there talking about doing a George Wallace on Trump. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:48:47 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:20:16 pm »

I don't want to vote for either one of them.  I want to vote, as I always have, for the GOP nominee.  But I will not be a good German.   

Now,  I'm not saying Trump is "equal to Hitler", but the 1933 German elections represent a good example where folks were hoodwinked by a demagogue in a free election.  A demagogue who stoked the fears and prejudices of the volk, just as Trump is doing. 

As I've posted before,  Trump's more closely analogous to a cross between Ross Perot and George Wallace, but far crazier in terms of temperament.   I do not want someone with his temper and vindictiveness with his hand on the nuclear button.   I do not want someone so obviously divisive and bigoted as the leader of the GOP.   I understand the appeal of his simplistic rhetoric about immigration, offensive and un-American as it may be, and even agree with him about the damage done to American workers by globalism.   But if those views are what make him appealing to you, then consider supporting one of the other GOP candidates who aren't so batshit crazy. 

Because Trump's nomination will be doomed from the start, in no small part because of decent folks throwing up their hands in disgust and quitting the GOP.   

HonestJohn

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 03:44:30 am »

I would point out that they both have scapegoated an entire people (in Trump's case, two entire peoples - Mexican and Muslim) as the cause of all society's ills. 

Both proposed mass deportation.

Both were fine with their supporters inflicting violence upon the scapegoated people.

Both also supported those that have inflicted violence upon those of that ethnicity.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:46:45 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 04:22:49 am »

And I know plenty of fantastic wonderful wonderful people who are also marvelous that are against Trump. And they are the best and most grandest, amazing and luxurious people you would ever know. They are also easy to find because there are a lot of them since Don has the highest negatives of anyone running.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 05:55:37 am »

Gee, I haven't seen his CRBA, Bigun.  Have you?   :im waiting:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

I think I've heard everything now.

No, wait...I haven't heard someone say that Trump is a space alien or that Trump is possessed of demons.

Well, there's time yet....

:facepalm2:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »
I think I've heard everything now.

No, wait...I haven't heard someone say that Trump is a space alien or that Trump is possessed of demons.

Well, there's time yet....

:facepalm2:

Telling you, AC...they're so excited at the prospect of Trump losing South Carolina, they can't contain themselves.

One even proclaimed it proved the existence of God.   :laugh:

Hope the Trump supporters follow through and actually VOTE.   

The anti-Trump members here are wobbly on their feet today.  Their room is spinning.

A Trump victory on Saturday should put them horizontal, tweeting birds and all! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »
Telling you, AC...they're so excited at the prospect of Trump losing South Carolina, they can't contain themselves.

One even proclaimed it proved the existence of God.   :laugh:

Hope the Trump supporters follow through and actually VOTE.   

The anti-Trump members here are wobbly on their feet today.  Their room is spinning.

A Trump victory on Saturday should put them horizontal, tweeting birds and all!

Yeah, politics suck. Especially when your guy is losing to a Hitleresque madman.