Author Topic: Prominent Televangelist Mike Murdock to Endorse Donald Trump  (Read 3287 times)

HAPPY2BME

Prominent Televangelist Mike Murdock to Endorse Donald Trump
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:41 pm »
Days before the first Southern primary of 2016, Mike Murdock, a prominent Texas-based televangelist, will formally endorse Republican Donald Trump for president at a rally in Greenville, South Carolina, on Monday.

“He has a warrior spirit for restoring America in the eyes of the world and he has a warrior’s heart,” said Murdock, the head pastor at the Wisdom Center ministry, told Bloomberg News in an interview. “I am endorsing him for president.”

Murdock, who frequently preaches about prosperity, arguing that a strong moral faith will lead to financial success for Christians, joins a handful of high-profile evangelists who have backed the billionaire candidate who's battling for supremacy in the Feb. 20 Republican primary in South Carolina. Two-thirds of Republican voters in the state describe themselves as evangelical.

“We feel as evangelicals that God is being ignored," said Murdock, who also preaches as a televangelist on multiple national and international networks and has nearly a quarter- million Twitter followers. "We feel that there’s content for God in the Bible, and I believe that Mr. Trump has a heart of restoration, including restoring us economically.”

Trump is locked in a battle with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, who is also making strong appeals to evangelicals ahead of the primary contest. Both campaigns are targeting the upstate geographical portion of South Carolina, which has deep evangelical roots.

Cruz has portrayed Trump as having unacceptably moderate views on social issues like abortion and same-sex marriage. Trump has argued that Cruz lies to get votes, and has attacked the Texan for spreading false rumors just ahead of the Iowa caucuses on Feb 1. that retired-neurosurgeon Ben Carson, a favorite with conservative Christians, was dropping out of the race.

Earlier Sunday, Cruz released an attack ad targeting Trump's comments, in a candidates' debate, that there are aspects of the reproductive healthcare provider Planned Parenthood that he supports. “It does wonderful things, but not as it relates to abortion,” Trump said on Saturday. Planned Parenthood provides a range of women's health services including breast exams and Pap tests, as well as performing abortions.

Cruz's campaign shot back. "Planned Parenthood treats the unborn like another form of currency and yet some politicians still defend them," a female narrator says ahead of showing clips of Trump saying he supports the non-abortion services of the organization. "Donald Trump is just plain wrong."

Murdock said that he had "not a single concern" about Trump's positions on issues like abortion and gay marriage.

"I don't trust a man who is too calculating in his talk," Murdock said. . "I like a man who is thoughtful and I like a man that tells me his heart. [Trump's] face always says me what his mouth is saying and I enjoy that."

Another leading conservative Christian, Jerry Falwell, Jr., the president of Liberty University and son of the late Reverend Jerry Falwell, endorsed Trump ahead of the Iowa caucuses, in which Cruz placed first.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/mike-murdock-endorse-trump/2016/02/14/id/714343/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Prominent Televangelist Mike Murdock to Endorse Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:38:14 pm »
Who is next, Steve Hotze or Benny Hinn?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:11 pm »

Only Texans will fully get that but it is REALLY funny!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »
Jim Bakker and Robert Tilton still have to make their endorsements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drMMBE6KRbI
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:30 pm »

How about South Carolina's Lieutenant Governor?

“The power he would bring to the office is bringing people into the party,” South Carolina Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster, a Trump backer, said ahead of his speech Monday.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article60464171.html#storylink=cpy

Offline ABX

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:45:00 pm »
Only Texans will fully get that but it is REALLY funny!

One of our local State Senate candidates is bragging Hotze endorsed him and it is backfiring big time.

(for those who don't know about Hotze outside his Obamacare lawsuit, he is considered a cult leader by most (a Christian Reconstructionist who believes in running the government based on Leviticus standards including making adultery a jailable offense- he was one of Ruahdoony's acolytes) and really backfired on Hucakbee when he had a fundraiser from him before he knew who he was. Huckabee had to disavow him. Hotze runs a group that claims to be Conservative but is way over the top theocratic and rejected by all other Conservative groups in the State)).

Offline ABX

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:01 pm »
Show me a televangelist who teaches prosperity doctrine, which Mike Murdock does, and I will show you a false teacher at best, and a  heretic at worse.

And I know what I am talking about.  I have for a short time attended one of these prosperity doctrine churches, and heard with my own ears from the preacher, that God wants you to be Rich, and if you are not rich and instead living in poverty, it is because of your sins or even a "poverty spirit" that can only leave you once you begin tithing the little you have. Once he had everyone in the church stand, and asked those who gave $5000 or more to the church during the year to sit, then $3000, then $2000, and so on - shaming those left standing.   That was the last service there I ever went to. Yet he continues to run this mega church.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:49:16 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 07:49:30 pm »
How about South Carolina's Lieutenant Governor?

“The power he would bring to the office is bringing people into the party,” South Carolina Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster, a Trump backer, said ahead of his speech Monday.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article60464171.html#storylink=cpy

Not surprising considering McMaster is considered 'get along' establishment and he went against Governor Hailey who is considered Conservative/Tea Party.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »
Show me a televangelist who teaches prosperity doctrine, which Mike Murdock does, and I will show you a false teacher at best, and a  heretic at worse.

And I know what I am talking about.  I have for a short time attended one of these prosperity doctrine churches, and heard with my own ears from the preacher, that God wants you to be Rich, and if you are not rich and instead living in poverty, it is because of your sins or even a "poverty spirit" that can only leave you once you begin tithing the little you have. Once he had everyone in the church stand, and asked those who gave $5000 or more to the church during the year to sit, then $3000, then $2000, and so on - shaming those left standing.   That was the last service there I ever went to. Yet he continues to run this mega church.

Ditto, it was pretty creepy. It was one of those 'if you are poor, it is because you don't have enough faith so plant your seed in the church and it will grow...'
Ironically, the pastor and his wife were steeped into every single MLM of the day and always pushed them out of the church with a wink and nod that was how you exercised your faith. They were also big anti-science, anti-medicine types (big on alternative pseudoscience treatments like essential oils and chiropractic therapy- interestingly enough, usually tied with some MLM they were selling).

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:56:07 pm »
Never heard of this dude to I looked into him. He is a certified nutjob and grifting proffessional....

In 1989, as a pastor on The PTL Club, Murdock gained national attention during the PTL scandal when he asked viewers to donate to Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye Bakker claiming they helped broken marriages and people.[4][5] The PTL later declared bankruptcy and Bakker went to prison for fraud related to his ministry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Murdock

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 07:57:29 pm »

Shaming people in public? That might be where Prosperity preachers Rafael Sr. and Jr. got the idea, to publicly shame voters in Iowa with their mailer?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »
Not surprising considering McMaster is considered 'get along' establishment and he went against Governor Hailey who is considered Conservative/Tea Party.

I'm so confused. Which is it? Are you saying Trump is the establishment darling? Or, the anti-establishment hero? Hillary's BFF, or the number one pick of evangelical voters? I'm so confused...

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:55 pm »
I never heard of Mike Murdock, but I'm sure it can never come close to the coveted Glenn Beck endorsement!   :laugh:

:tongue2:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 08:13:14 pm »

More like Elmer Gantry...........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 08:14:36 pm »

Well then, Mike must think Donald Trump, rich as he is, is sinless.......... 

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 08:14:52 pm »
Never heard of him. Who decided he was "prominent"?  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 08:24:24 pm »
:laugh: 

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:22 pm »
I'm so confused. Which is it? Are you saying Trump is the establishment darling? Or, the anti-establishment hero? Hillary's BFF, or the number one pick of evangelical voters? I'm so confused...

The establishment knows he can be bought and is prone to making deals, unlike his leading competitor. As posted in several threads, DNCe and RNCe are starting to come out more for him.  I certainly don't consider him an anti-establishment hero. I've often called him DNCe due to who he is willing to make deals with.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 08:37:21 pm »
I've heard of the guy. He's on religious TV a lot. I saw him on one of those all-Jesus channels' grift-a-thons one day. I was NOT impressed.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 08:52:49 pm »
I've heard of the guy. He's on religious TV a lot. I saw him on one of those all-Jesus channels' grift-a-thons one day. I was NOT impressed.
Those of you who have mentioned the prosperity gospel might find this interesting.
Death, the Prosperity Gospel and Me
By KATE BOWLER
FEB. 13, 2016
New York Times

Durham, N.C. — ON a Thursday morning a few months ago, I got a call from my doctor’s assistant telling me that I have Stage 4 cancer. The stomach cramps I was suffering from were not caused by a faulty gallbladder, but by a massive tumor.

I am 35. I did the things you might expect of someone whose world has suddenly become very small. I sank to my knees and cried. I called my husband at our home nearby. I waited until he arrived so we could wrap our arms around each other and say the things that must be said. I have loved you forever. I am so grateful for our life together. Please take care of our son. Then he walked me from my office to the hospital to start what was left of my new life.

But one of my first thoughts was also Oh, God, this is ironic. I recently wrote a book called “Blessed.”

I am a historian of the American prosperity gospel. Put simply, the prosperity gospel is the belief that God grants health and wealth to those with the right kind of faith. I spent 10 years interviewing televangelists with spiritual formulas for how to earn God’s miracle money. I held hands with people in wheelchairs being prayed for by celebrities known for their miracle touch. I sat in people’s living rooms and heard about how they never would have dreamed of owning this home without the encouragement they heard on Sundays.

I went on pilgrimage with the faith healer Benny Hinn and 900 tourists to retrace Jesus’ steps in the Holy Land and see what people would risk for the chance at their own miracle. I ruined family vacations by insisting on being dropped off at the showiest megachurch in town. If there was a river running through the sanctuary, an eagle flying freely in the auditorium or an enormous, spinning statue of a golden globe, I was there.

Growing up in the 1980s on the prairies of Manitoba, Canada, an area largely settled by Mennonites, I had been taught in my Anabaptist Bible camp that there were few things closer to God’s heart than pacifism, simplicity and the ability to compliment your neighbor’s John Deere Turbo Combine without envy. Though Mennonites are best known by their bonnets and horse-drawn buggies, they are, for the most part, plainclothes capitalists like the rest of us. I adore them. I married one.

But when a number of Mennonites in my hometown began to give money to a pastor who drove a motorcycle onstage — a motorcycle they gave him for a new church holiday called “Pastor’s Appreciation Day” — I was genuinely baffled. Everyone I interviewed was so sincere about wanting to gain wealth to bless others, too. But how could Mennonites, of all people — a tradition once suspicious of the shine of chrome bumpers and the luxury of lace curtains — now attend a congregation with a love for unfettered accumulation?

The riddle of a Mennonite megachurch became my intellectual obsession. No one had written a sustained account of how the prosperity gospel grew from small tent revivals across the country in the 1950s into one of the most popular forms of American Christianity, and I was determined to do it. I learned that the prosperity gospel sprang, in part, from the American metaphysical tradition of New Thought, a late-19th-century ripening of ideas about the power of the mind: Positive thoughts yielded positive circumstances, and negative thoughts negative circumstances.

Variations of this belief became foundational to the development of self-help psychology. Today, it is the standard “Aha!” moment of Oprah’s Lifeclass, the reason your uncle has a copy of “How to Win Friends and Influence People” and the takeaway for the more than 19 million who bought “The Secret.” (Save your money: the secret is to think positively.) These ideas about mind power became a popular answer to a difficult question: Why are some people healed and some not?

The modern prosperity gospel can be directly traced to the turn-of-the-century theology of a pastor named E. W. Kenyon, whose evangelical spin on New Thought taught Christians to believe that their minds were powerful incubators of good or ill. Christians, Kenyon advised, must avoid words and ideas that create sickness and poverty; instead, they should repeat: “God is in me. God’s ability is mine. God’s strength is mine. God’s health is mine. His success is mine. I am a winner. I am a conqueror.” Or, as prosperity believers summarized it for me, “I am blessed.”

One of the prosperity gospel’s greatest triumphs is its popularization of the term “blessed.”   ...
Rest of article

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:10 pm »
I did a little digging on Mike Murdock, because I have not heard of him, but I'm very familiar with the prosperity doctrine. I for a short time attended Casey Treats church here in the NW, who also preached this poison.   

From an article I read on Mike Murdock.....

"He was spewing out blasphemies against God by claiming that God wanted to create 300 MILLIONAIRES through his ministry.  The catch? ... you MUST send a "seed" (as he calls it) of at least $1,000 to his ministry.   Murdock calls the donation to his ministry "a seed of obedience."  Obedience?  Obedience to whom?  Why not give the money to a local church?  Why does the money have to go to MURDOCK'S MINISTRY?  Sadly, many people are foolish and gullible enough to send him a thousand dollars.  He actually tells his listeners to call in and say, "I'm one of the FUTURE millionaires that Dr. Murdock talked about who will sow the $1,000 seed."  This is so sickening.  Murdock dares to call himself a "man of God"; but he is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Just as evil Balaam, Murdock is greedy of gain."

Still proud of this endorsement HAPPY?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 03:59:30 am »
I did a little digging on Mike Murdock, because I have not heard of him, but I'm very familiar with the prosperity doctrine. I for a short time attended Casey Treats church here in the NW, who also preached this poison.   

From an article I read on Mike Murdock.....

"He was spewing out blasphemies against God by claiming that God wanted to create 300 MILLIONAIRES through his ministry.  The catch? ... you MUST send a "seed" (as he calls it) of at least $1,000 to his ministry.   Murdock calls the donation to his ministry "a seed of obedience."  Obedience?  Obedience to whom?  Why not give the money to a local church?  Why does the money have to go to MURDOCK'S MINISTRY?  Sadly, many people are foolish and gullible enough to send him a thousand dollars.  He actually tells his listeners to call in and say, "I'm one of the FUTURE millionaires that Dr. Murdock talked about who will sow the $1,000 seed."  This is so sickening.  Murdock dares to call himself a "man of God"; but he is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Just as evil Balaam, Murdock is greedy of gain."

Still proud of this endorsement HAPPY?

Sure he is.  If you say anything bad about anyone who endorses Trump, you're denying the greatness of the Donald, and that will never do.... 

From henceforth, the claim can be made that significant "evangelicals" support Trump.  Doesn't matter that this one's a charlatan.

The talking point has been made and seconded, and we are all to fall in line and worship accordingly.....