Author Topic: Oklahoma rattled by state's third largest earthquake; 5.1 recorded near Fairview  (Read 426 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/oklahoma-rattled-by-state-s-third-largest-earthquake-recorded-near/article_64a0daf2-16fc-5478-a3ca-12f2220d9736.html

By PAIGHTEN HARKINS World Staff Writer

Related story: 32 Oklahoma quakes in 24-hour period could foretell stronger temblor, experts say

The third largest earthquake in recorded state history rocked parts of western Oklahoma on Saturday morning near the site of other large, recent temblors.

The quake registered a 5.1 magnitude and was recorded northwest of Fairview at 11:07 a.m., according to preliminary estimates from the U.S. Geological Survey.

A 3.9 aftershock followed about 10 minutes after the earthquake, according to the USGS.

At 5.1, the temblor will be the state's third largest earthquake, according to Oklahoma Geological Survey data.

The state's largest earthquake is a 5.6 recorded out of Prague in 2011. The second was a 5.5 recorded near El Reno in 1952. Before Saturday, those two were the only quakes in state history to exceed a 5.0 magnitude.

Saturday's quake surpassed a 4.8 recorded on Jan. 6 for this year's largest earthquake. Both the 4.8 and Saturday's 5.1 were centered near Fairview, according to USGS data.

Before Saturday, Oklahoma had been shaken by seven earthquakes of at least 4.0 magnitude in 2016. Those quakes were all recorded within the first eight days of January.

The strongest of those — the 4.8 on Jan. 6 — was among a swam of 32 earthquakes recorded over a period of about 24 hours.

Through Friday evening, Oklahoma had recorded 133 quakes this year that measured at least 3.0, according to the Oklahoma Geological Survey.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LaRueLaDue

I live outside Tulsa, and  was on a bridge call over the weekend working on a storage change for our application. and I stopped in mid-sentence on the call for 10-15 seconds while I watched things shake and listened to the low growl of the quake. One of the people on the call in Dallas asked why I stopped talking, and they were more shaken than I was over the whole thing when I explained why I stopped. Wasn't too bad, and no damage. Was actually kind of neat (in an old ex-geologist sort of way).

HAPPY2BME

The second was a 5.5 recorded near El Reno in 1952.

============================

Were the oil companies fracking in 1952?

Online mountaineer

I live outside Tulsa, and  was on a bridge call over the weekend working on a storage change for our application. and I stopped in mid-sentence on the call for 10-15 seconds while I watched things shake and listened to the low growl of the quake. One of the people on the call in Dallas asked why I stopped talking, and they were more shaken than I was over the whole thing when I explained why I stopped. Wasn't too bad, and no damage. Was actually kind of neat (in an old ex-geologist sort of way).
It is unsettling, isn't it? I remember experiencing some rumbles when I was a child in southern California, enough to cause the gophers to fall into the swimming pool and drown.  :shrug:

I went to college in Tulsa but don't recall any earthquakes during that period, thankfully. BTW, welcome to GBR, LaRue!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org