Author Topic: Following death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, here's President Obama's short list for his replacement  (Read 2872 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Maybe, though I'd be surprised given the GOP's huge number of filibusters since Obama's inauguration.  And a confirmation only months before the general election would severely dampen Republican voting.  It would be political suicide for the GOP.

I'm tempted to agree,but I have already spent too many years predicting the alleged Republicans wouldn't roll over for the Dims,and being wrong.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
Did you hear that Spike Lee is going to make a film about the life of John Wayne?

I hear their first choice to play Wayne was Gary Coleman,but he's dead so Spike Lee may play Wayne himself,

Whoopie Goldberg has been signed to play Maureen O'Hara.

And no "people of color" will be criminals or be killed in the movie. Only crackas.
They don't have to worry about me buying a ticket...
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Offline MACVSOG68

I'm tempted to agree,but I have already spent too many years predicting the alleged Republicans wouldn't roll over for the Dims,and being wrong.

The change this would make to the philosophy of the Court makes it far more important than spending packages or almost any legislation the Congress works on.  I'm hopeful Sessions understands this.  The only two I see on the Judiciary Committee who might actually consider a compromise nominee would be Hatch and Graham.  And McConnell would be the firewall in case someone makes it out of committee.  It's one reason I see Obama as initially submitting a moderate nominee.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline flowers

it will be somebody of color, that way they can gin up whitey hates the black man. of course they will cave and give obama who he picks.  :banging: :hard crying: then that will be  checkmate, game over.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:31:59 pm by flowers »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
... The only two I see on the Judiciary Committee who might actually consider a compromise nominee would be Hatch and Graham. ....

Both reliable whores.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

HonestJohn

You can bet that whoever is nominated will be a minority so as to paint the GOP as anti-whatever when they kill the nomination.  Alinsky-loving OPapaDoc will nominate someone far, far left so as to energize the base of the Democrat Party when the nominee is refused a hearing.

If OPapaDoc was smart he would nominate someone like Orrin Hatch.  The GOPe could not hold back from giving him a hearing, and probably confirming.  He won't live that long, and he would definitely swing the court to the left of where it was under Scalia.

He'll appoint a minority and the media will wait for a Republican-voting nutjob to disparage either the nominee's race, religion, or sexual orientation.  And then they'll rebroadcast that far and wide. 

We have a problem in the GOP as we have tolerated, if not fostered in the case of Trump, hate of another's race, religion, or sexual orientation simply because it's a different race, religion, or sexual orientation.  Case in point... the Mormon hate in the case of Romney.  It was more than just TOS.

(We need another Buckley to cast that out of the GOP and revoke membership of any politician or candidate that espouses it.  We did it with David Duke and Pat Buchanan... and we need to do it again.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:10:39 pm by HonestJohn »