Author Topic: KY caucus catches Republican voters by surprise  (Read 1060 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
KY caucus catches Republican voters by surprise
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:07 pm »
http://local12.com/news/local/ky-caucus-catches-republican-voters-by-surprise

KY caucus catches Republican voters by surprise
BY JOE WEBB TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND 2016

COVINGTON, Ky. (Joe Webb) - Kentucky's registered Republicans will have to do a little extra work this election season, thanks to U.S. Senator Rand Paul.

The Republican Party of Kentucky took the presidential primary off the May ballot so Senator Paul could legally run for both president and United States Senator. In March 2016, Kentucky Republicans will caucus to determine how candidates split up the 46 delegates to the Republican National Convention.

"The caucuses are being held on March 5th which is a Saturday," said Kenton County Republican Chairman Greg Shumate. "They are being held statewide from 10 a.m. to 4 o'clock in the afternoon."

Each county will host its own caucus in one location. Kenton County Republicans will caucus at Summit View School in Independence. Campbell County Republicans will meet Campbell County High School . The Boone County GOP will vote at Florence Baptist Church on Mt. Zion Road.

Most voters Local 12 News spoke with Tuesday, Feb. 2, were unaware of the changes made to accommodate Paul's dual candidacy.

Pam Grone of Villa Hills was expecting to cast her vote in May, "I just thought we'd vote in the same place we usually do at the city building. No?"

The caucus format is being implemented for this election cycle only. It's costing the Republican Party of Kentucky about $500,000 to pull it off but Senator Paul is paying about half of the cost. Unlike conventional elections, campaigns will be allowed on the sites. They will not be allowed to interact with voters in the designated voting area. Republicans are calling it a caucus but the format is much different than the presidential caucuses in Iowa.

"You're going to have to bring your photo ID and sign in," said Shumate. "You will be ushered into the voting room. Your ballot will look just like a regular ballot. You're going to color in the blank, scan the ballot and the results will be tabulated at the end of the day."

Democrats will vote for president and other offices on the ballot during the traditional primary May 17. Republicans will vote in May for all offices other than president. Shumate estimates the caucus turnout will be half what it normally is for primary elections.

For more information on the caucuses CLICK HERE.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

Re: KY caucus catches Republican voters by surprise
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:54:25 pm »
This is the first I've heard of this change and I've been a registered Republican in the state of Kentucky since I was old enough to vote!  40 years!

I get a postcard today in the mail from a local candidate telling me about this change.  Republicans in Kentucky will have to caucus on Saturday, March 5 to choose their presidential nominee - instead of on election day as we have done during my entire life.  We will still go to vote for State and Local elections in May, when we have voted in the presidential primary before - but our nominee will have already been chosen - apparently by a very small number of people - because no one else I know knew about this either!

Apparently, this is a one time change to accomodate Rand Paul's wish to be able to run for Kentucky Senator and US President at the same time - - and he has now dropped out of the race.

You would think that the Kentucky Republican Party would have sent us registered Republican voters.....I don't know......maybe a LETTER or something - notifying us of the change???

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:47 pm »
This is the first I've heard of this change and I've been a registered Republican in the state of Kentucky since I was old enough to vote!  40 years!

I get a postcard today in the mail from a local candidate telling me about this change.  Republicans in Kentucky will have to caucus on Saturday, March 5 to choose their presidential nominee - instead of on election day as we have done during my entire life.  We will still go to vote for State and Local elections in May, when we have voted in the presidential primary before - but our nominee will have already been chosen - apparently by a very small number of people - because no one else I know knew about this either!

Apparently, this is a one time change to accomodate Rand Paul's wish to be able to run for Kentucky Senator and US President at the same time - - and he has now dropped out of the race.

You would think that the Kentucky Republican Party would have sent us registered Republican voters.....I don't know......maybe a LETTER or something - notifying us of the change???

I imagine letters were sent out, but only to certain people.

Paul wanted a caucus because Paulians can only get delegates by gaming and stacking them. Now I'm sure others see the opportunity and want to keep only the supporters of their preferred candidates in the loop.
The Republic is lost.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:52:21 pm »
I imagine letters were sent out, but only to certain people.

Paul wanted a caucus because Paulians can only get delegates by gaming and stacking them. Now I'm sure others see the opportunity and want to keep only the supporters of their preferred candidates in the loop.

I would tend to agree with your opinion.  When I went to the Facebook address that was on the postcard I received for "further information" - because there was no information on the card, other than date and location - I found that the name given didn't exist.  I had to do a search on my own to find my county's Republican party Facebook page - the one they had on the postcard was incorrect.  I had to scroll down for a long time to find that someone had posted the article (from a Cincinnati, Ohio source) that I posted here.

My county Republican Party page was full of anti-Trump stuff, so I can kind of see where this is going.  I think you are right - only certain people have been informed and the rest of us little 'uns can go to h-e-double hockey sticks!

Why do I smell Mitch McConnell all over this?

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:24:58 pm »
I would tend to agree with your opinion.  When I went to the Facebook address that was on the postcard I received for "further information" - because there was no information on the card, other than date and location - I found that the name given didn't exist.  I had to do a search on my own to find my county's Republican party Facebook page - the one they had on the postcard was incorrect.  I had to scroll down for a long time to find that someone had posted the article (from a Cincinnati, Ohio source) that I posted here.

My county Republican Party page was full of anti-Trump stuff, so I can kind of see where this is going.  I think you are right - only certain people have been informed and the rest of us little 'uns can go to h-e-double hockey sticks!

Why do I smell Mitch McConnell all over this?

Heh, cuz the only time Mitch fights is when the opposition is Republican. I have no doubt that there is coordination going on here.
The Republic is lost.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:27:48 pm »
Heh, cuz the only time Mitch fights is when the opposition is Republican. I have no doubt that there is coordination going on here.

:thumbsup: