Author Topic: Trump Baja venture leaves buyers high and dry  (Read 1204 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump Baja venture leaves buyers high and dry
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:24 pm »
Whereas, I see a businessman who has largely been extremely successful and with no hint of the issues that so many businessmen who have been so successful have had.  He chases whims.  Certainly.  So have I, so has Bill Gates, so has Paul Allen (many of them highly unsuccessful in the end), so did Steve Jobs, so has Warren Buffett.  Are you asking for only the players that have had perfect seasons...batted 1.000, won every, game every year, never thrown an interception?  Going to be a pretty short list...haven't seen any of those running...ever.....

I didn't say a thing about being successful in all business ventures. Maybe I typed that prior post too fast. I'll copy and paste this slower to give you a chance to re-read it.

It isn't that he is a salesman, it is because he can't be trusted. His history is one of the worst corrupt crony corporatism selling out his name and his endorsement to the dumbest or worst of ventures and to the most despicable of partners. His history is one who will fly off the handle and chase whims without consequence of who it harms or the long term impacts- a prospect that should send chills down the spine when you think about our troops whose lives will be at the mercy of his whims. His history is one of overtly lying (he calls it Truthful Hyperbole in The Art of the Deal) to get the deal and then worrying about the consequences later.  His history shows little respect for the Constitution, limited government, and individual liberty. On the contrary, his history shows he'll walk all over that if needed.

I would love a good, honest salesman whose history is in the free market. I was a huge (or is it yuge now) supporter of Steve Forbes when he ran. The difference between the two is one actually respects the Constitution and individual liberty and works within the confines of true Capitalism and the other disregards it for the deal.

In other words, I'm not going to support George Soros with an R behind his name.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »
Are you honestly comfortable with the prospect of Donald Trump making the next several SCOTUS appointments?

I am as comfortable with him doing so as I am with past presidents that have made those selections.  The history of SCOTUS appointments has been very spotty (at best), even under Republican administrations.  John Roberts is Chief Justice.  That pretty much, for me, puts it in the hands of the gambling gods.  I think he is as likely to make a good or bad selection as any other.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:18 pm »
I am as comfortable with him doing so as I am with past presidents that have made those selections.  The history of SCOTUS appointments has been very spotty (at best), even under Republican administrations.  John Roberts is Chief Justice.  That pretty much, for me, puts it in the hands of the gambling gods.  I think he is as likely to make a good or bad selection as any other.

Is he as likely to make good as Ted Cruz?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:35 pm »
Are you honestly comfortable with the prospect of Donald Trump making the next several SCOTUS appointments?

He has mentioned one person he would like to appoint.
https://stream.org/donald-trump-pro-abortion-sister-phenomenal-supreme-court-justice/

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 05:49:44 pm »
He has mentioned one person he would like to appoint.
https://stream.org/donald-trump-pro-abortion-sister-phenomenal-supreme-court-justice/

Yeah! I know! But actual evidence is apparently lost on some here.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »
I didn't say a thing about being successful in all business ventures. Maybe I typed that prior post too fast. I'll copy and paste this slower to give you a chance to re-read it.

In other words, I'm not going to support George Soros with an R behind his name.

To show you that I did read what you wrote, I will try to give you my position on each highlighted points one at a time, but you can trust in advance we aren't going to agree on much:

1. Worst corrupt crony corporatism:  That IS the economic system in America in the late 20th and 21st centuries.  If you do business in America today, except for some extremely small entrepreneurs (though even some of them), particularly if you are involved in real estate development within large cities, you will be a crony corporatist.  U.S. governments at all levels - read elected politicians - require you to be that in order to do business in their jurisdictions.  Have a revolution, change the system, then come back and talk to me.  Maybe he should have been happy selling bagels on the street...

2. With consequence of who it harms and long term impacts: There is not a single human activity that does not potentially have long term negative impacts.  Ask the left.  Every human endeavor has the consequence of potentially harming someone.  Every business activity has winners and losers.  Not everyone wins every time.  Trump's employees and his business partners over the years give him very high marks for being supportive and operating at his word.  Many of them are involved today in his campaign.  What you are asking for here - reading a bit between the lines - is impossible.  You are asking for a God not a president.

3. Little respect for the Constitution, limited government and individual liberty:  You don't live in the world the rest live in I guess.  Limited government does not exist, it has not existed for nearly 200 years anywhere on Earth.  That's over done many decades ago, you are sitting in the patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive.  Little respect for the Constitution: In what way?  Do you mean like John Roberts, who apparently has no respect for it whatsoever.  Individual liberty:  I refer you back to limited government...but exactly how has Trump been involved in taking your individual liberty away?  He's proposed things but he's never been in position to deny you anything.  Do you want to walk over the border and back again as many times as you can?  Who's individual liberty is being disrespected by his proposals?  Illegal aliens (or do you agree with the left that there is no such thing?)  Muslims from foreign lands?  This is ludicrous.

4.  The little graphic is a wonder in hyperbole (remember Truthful Hyperbole?)  You take a comment about the global economy...yes, it's global, you get Asian market reports on the 10 pm news now for a reason.  "Now is the time to invest in Europe".  How very radical and extremist!  Put a picture of George Soros on it and it becomes damning!  No, it just makes it an even stupider attempt at demagoguery.  If they want good demagoguery, they ought to get Trump to do one for them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:18:38 pm by Scottftlc »

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 06:14:12 pm »
Is he as likely to make good as Ted Cruz?

I think Cruz would do as good a job as anyone can at that.  That doesn't mean Cruz would be certain to make good appointments - or even that he wouldn't be forced to compromise on his appointments by the Senate, which is another issue altogether - but I think he would do as good a job as possible.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:19:06 pm by Scottftlc »

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 06:21:38 pm »
I think Cruz would do as good a job as anyone can at that.  That doesn't mean Cruz would be certain to make good appointments - or even that he wouldn't be forced to compromise on his appointments by the Senate, which is another issue altogether - but I think he would do as good a job as possible.

On that point we agree! On Trump doing that we decidedly do not!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 07:13:25 pm »
A real estate investment that didn't pan out?  The HORROR!  It's an OUTRAGE!!  :silly:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:14:06 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline aligncare

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 07:24:23 pm »
On that point we agree! On Trump doing that we decidedly do not!

Trump's history is one of associating with and hiring the best in the business. His projects (100-story skyscrapers, golf courses etc) are some of the best in the world. What evidence have you that he would not continue to strive for the best in political advisors and appointments?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 07:29:44 pm »
Trump's history is one of associating with and hiring the best in the business. His projects (100-story skyscrapers, golf courses etc) are some of the best in the world. What evidence have you that he would not continue to strive for the best in political advisors and appointments?

I have not a bit but I do seriously doubt that his idea of best with regard to appointing judges would comport with that of Ted Cruz's at all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 02:12:03 am »

Truthfully,what worries me the most is him having his hands on the nuclear launch codes. I honestly thing he is mentally and emotionally unstable.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 02:17:07 am »
To show you that I did read what you wrote, I will try to give you my position on each highlighted points one at a time, but you can trust in advance we aren't going to agree on much:

1. Worst corrupt crony corporatism:  That IS the economic system in America in the late 20th and 21st centuries.

It is also the system that ruled in Germany under Hitler. Crony Capitalism is just another term for Fascism.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 03:14:38 am »
It is also the system that ruled in Germany under Hitler. Crony Capitalism is just another term for Fascism.

You might be surprised to know that I agree...but it is still the system that our politicians have forced our businesses and corporation into, for quite some time now.

...Bob Dylan

Offline Longiron

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:32:04 pm by Longiron »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 01:56:37 pm »
but it is still the system that our politicians have forced our businesses and corporation into, for quite some time now.

No argument there. This has been going on since at least the days of the big ranchers and the railroads. It's what was at the root of the War of Northern Aggression,and most recently,our invasion of Iraq.

I just wish more people were aware of it so that maybe we could stop it while we still have a country worth saving.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:57:41 pm by sneakypete »