Author Topic: Maddow: GOP Could Turn Into ‘Xenophobic,’ ‘Nativist’ Movement of ‘Hard-Right’  (Read 644 times)

rangerrebew

Maddow: GOP Could Turn Into ‘Xenophobic,’ ‘Nativist’ Movement of ‘Hard-Right’
By Scott Whitlock | February 10, 2016 | 12:29 AM EST

On the same night Rachel Maddow dismissed the concept of the liberal media, the MSNBC host sneered that the Republican Party could turn into a “xenophobic” movement of the “hard-right.” Maddow flashed back to the 1996 presidential election and contrasted 2016: “Pitchfork populism and xenophobic nativism of a very, very hard-right cast and [Pat Buchanan] won in New Hampshire.”

If Trump is the nominee, the journalist fretted, “The American Republican Party will be in line with the National Front in France and the U.K. Independence Party in Great Britain and these other types of hard-right.” Regarding Europe, Maddow suggested, “I think they will see it through the lens of their own nativist movements.”

A transcript of the exchange:

Place for Politics
    2/9/16
    11:03

MADDOW: In 1996, Pat Buchanan won New Hampshire, shocked the Republican establishment. Beat Bob Dole with a combination of populism that, sort of, defied ideological structure.

WILLIAMS: Pitchfork populism.

MADDOW: Pitchfork populism and xenophobic nativism of a very, very hard-right cast and he won in New Hampshire and then he didn't win another single thing the whole time and Bob Dole became the nominee. That could happen. That could be what Donald Trump winning New Hampshire is. Or, this is the start of it for Donald Trump. And the American Republican Party will be in line with the National Front in France and the U.K. Independence Party in Great Britain and these other types of hard-right, European-style nativist movements that before now, really have been on the fringe, that have been people like Pat Buchanan, who, you know, won a primary here and there, got a  speaking slot here and there but never in the leadership of their party. If Donald Trump is starting here to become a Republican nominee, we're a different type of country in terms of what our major parties stand for and, I think, we’re a different kind of country in terms of where the mainstream and the fringe find their medium. It’s a big deal tonight that he’s won.

WILLIAMS: That's why his victory tonight is an international news story.

MADDOW: It is and I think that a lot of the European press, in particular, I think they will see it through the lens of their own nativist movements, which again don't usually become ruling parties in their parliamentary systems. But when you get a big win, it can really change your perception of who you are as a nation and who your politics represent.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/scott-whitlock/2016/02/10/maddow-gop-could-turn-xenophobic-nativist-movement-hard-right

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The "pitchfork populists" were out in force last night on both sides.   The big winners were political sons of Karl Marx and George Wallace.   As Luis has said, it's a long road,  but I see a far greater chance of the Dems electing their crazy than the GOP electing its clown.   

The silver lining for me is that 46% of New Hampshire voters made up their minds in the days before the primaries,  and almost none of them broke for Trump.   Trump retained the same one-third of the vote the polls have predicted for weeks.  It's doubtful whether he can rise much further.  The opposition is splintered,  but that the smoke will soon begin to clear.   The next few contests are potentially fertile ground for Cruz,  and New Hampshire did nothing to lessen his appeal in the conservative, evangelical South.   Hopefully, Cruz can blunt Trump in the next few weeks,  and the cohort of "electable conservatives" will winnow in time for one or two to emerge in the midwestern primaries that follow.

Best case scenario for Kasich is that Christie will drop out and he can beat Bush in South Carolina.   He's then got to survive the SEC primary (that is, not fall below expectations)  and then defeat Trump and the rest in Ohio on March 15.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline PzLdr

That's OK, Rache. Lots of rugs to munch in Europe for ya.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline flowers

go to mecca Rachel during the haj. heck go to Saudi Arabia and walk around without a minder or hajib. then get back to us, if you still have your head.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Liberals love to call us the  ‘Xenophobic,’ ‘Nativist’ party because they are the ethnic cleansing party trying desperately to change the demographics of the nation, via immigration and propaganda, to an electorate more favorable for them to win elections.
The Republic is lost.

Offline flowers

Liberals love to call us the  ‘Xenophobic,’ ‘Nativist’ party because they are the ethnic cleansing party trying desperately to change the demographics of the nation, via immigration and propaganda, to an electorate more favorable for them to win elections.
:thumbsup2:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:23:22 pm by flowers »

Offline sinkspur

The "pitchfork populists" were out in force last night on both sides.   The big winners were political sons of Karl Marx and George Wallace.   As Luis has said, it's a long road,  but I see a far greater chance of the Dems electing their crazy than the GOP electing its clown.   

The silver lining for me is that 46% of New Hampshire voters made up their minds in the days before the primaries,  and almost none of them broke for Trump.   Trump retained the same one-third of the vote the polls have predicted for weeks.  It's doubtful whether he can rise much further.  The opposition is splintered,  but that the smoke will soon begin to clear.   The next few contests are potentially fertile ground for Cruz,  and New Hampshire did nothing to lessen his appeal in the conservative, evangelical South.   Hopefully, Cruz can blunt Trump in the next few weeks,  and the cohort of "electable conservatives" will winnow in time for one or two to emerge in the midwestern primaries that follow.

Best case scenario for Kasich is that Christie will drop out and he can beat Bush in South Carolina.   He's then got to survive the SEC primary (that is, not fall below expectations)  and then defeat Trump and the rest in Ohio on March 15.

Trump and Sanders are both appealing to the absolute worst side of the American people:  I'm mad and I'm itching to take it out on somebody.

With Sanders, you can blame the bankers and all the rich guys and the doctors (Sanders makes $174K a year; the average GP makes $143K) and he'll squeeze 'em hard for you.  Won't make your situation any better, but they'll get theirs!!

With Trump, you can blame the Mexicans and the Muslims and the Chinese for your sorry state, and he's promising you a wall and shutting the door to any more brown people and taxing the hell out of Chinese goods.  Won't make your situation any better, but, hey, they'll get theirs.

This is what we've come to:  A payback election and it's going to get really ugly.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:52:21 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
We've always been a nation of immigrants,  FV.   My grandparents were all immigrants.   I bet your family has an immigrant past, too.

I understand the concern about illegal immigration.   But that's no excuse for the nativist Know-Nothingism coming from Donald Trump.   

Offline sinkspur

We've always been a nation of immigrants,  FV.   My grandparents were all immigrants.   I bet your family has an immigrant past, too.

I understand the concern about illegal immigration.   But that's no excuse for the nativist Know-Nothingism coming from Donald Trump.

The lowest level of human consciousness is tribalism; us versus them.  Sanders and Trump both know this, because tribalism is driven completely by emotion.  Listen to their supporters; never much specific in terms of what they want.  They just want people in jail, or shutting the door on Muslims.  No due process, just a collective presumption of guilt.  And, boy, do we hate guilty people!!   

Populism itself is nothing but emotionalism and it is the most dangerous kind of political movement.  And extremists have to get more and more extreme to keep their adherents pumped up. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Well murderers and rapists were all babies and children running freely once, as was I, but that doesn't mean that now they don't belong behind bars today.

Immigration is based on reality - need, room, infrstructure, finances, and many others. Reality and facts change. This is not a theocracy, and the high minded, robe wearing, bloviating wannabe priesthood of America can pontificate about their superior morality of taking in a constant influx of immigrants all they want, but their argument is poor.

Extending their catechism, then lets take them ALL in, all 6 billion, and empty our basically bankrupt treasury, and make the majority whites check their privilege and throw themselves out in the streets so all these people have a place to live, and a job. For compassion's sake.

And preferably, have the dirty white privilegers just off themselves so we can remake America with a more balkanized, politically correct educated and identity aware demographics and less bitter clingers, so the Dems can win elections easier.

What is happening today isn't immigration. It's ethnic electoral cleansing. They want to substitute new voters in old wineskins to gain a leg up in future elections. Sorry if I'm not down with that strategy.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:30:46 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

:amen:

Tell it, Brother!

HonestJohn

You can see the change in the language used.

'They' aren't even human anymore.  Cockroaches and other pests are the preferred language now.  Call the exterminator.

Pretty soon the next terms to be acceptable to describe 'them' will be 'vermin' and 'rats'. 

After all, it's okay since 'they' don't vote for us anyway, right?

HonestJohn

Well murderers and rapists were all babies and children running freely once, as was I, but that doesn't mean that now they don't belong behind bars today.

Case in point.  Mexicans in America can't be law abiding citizens.  They are all murderers and rapists by default.

Are you saying that they all need the electric chair?  That's what we do to murderers, you know.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Case in point.  Mexicans in America can't be law abiding citizens.  They are all murderers and rapists by default.

Are you saying that they all need the electric chair?  That's what we do to murderers, you know.

Grab a paper bag, you're hyperventilating, and my earplugs can't block out the screeching.

Sorry your catechism bubble is being burst, but we have this thing called Separation of Church and State in this country, per the liberals anyway.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The lowest level of human consciousness is tribalism; us versus them.  Sanders and Trump both know this, because tribalism is driven completely by emotion.  Listen to their supporters; never much specific in terms of what they want.  They just want people in jail, or shutting the door on Muslims.  No due process, just a collective presumption of guilt.  And, boy, do we hate guilty people!!   

Populism itself is nothing but emotionalism and it is the most dangerous kind of political movement.  And extremists have to get more and more extreme to keep their adherents pumped up.

Exactly.   And, ergo, why Trump is such a dangerous man.