Author Topic: McCain: Anyone Who Says Waterboarding Works is a Liar  (Read 1050 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCain: Anyone Who Says Waterboarding Works is a Liar
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:09:43 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=713308

Newsmax
Monday, February 8, 2016 02:08 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Sen. John McCain Monday slammed Donald Trump's comments over the weekend praising the merits of waterboarding, saying that that anyone who claims the extreme interrogation technique is a way to get useful information is lying.

"This is a near-death experience," McCain said on Fox News' "Outnumbered" program, which his daughter, Meghan, co-hosts. "They will tell that person who is administering that anything they want to hear."

During Saturday night's GOP debate and on several Sunday morning shows, Trump commented that if he becomes president, he would "absolutely authorize" waterboarding or "a hell of a lot worse."

"They're chopping off heads of Christians and many other people in the Middle East," Trump told CNN's Jake Tapper on the "State of the Union" program. "They're chopping heads off, they laugh at us when they hear we're not going to approve waterboarding and then they'll have a James Foley and others where they cut off their heads."

McCain, who himself was tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, pointed out that the Geneva convention prohibits the technique, and there has been a 93-3 vote in the Senate to stop it.

Further, the Arizona Republican issued an official statement on Monday on the topic, quoting several experts who call the practice's outcome dangerous for American military personnel.

"I think all of us admire Gen. David Petraeus, [so] let me give you his quote,"
the veteran senator and former presidential nominee said. "'Our nation has paid a high price in recent decades for the information gained by the use of techniques beyond those in, beyond those in the field manual. And in my view, that price far outweighed the value of the information gained through the use of techniques beyond those in the manual.'"

The revelations about the waterboarding techniques used at the Abu Ghraib prison shocked the world, McCain continued, and was used as propaganda for Islamist extremists.

"We tried Japanese generals and hung them for war crimes," said McCain. "One of the crimes was waterboarding."

And while there have been some who say the technique led to the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden, McCain said, "they're lying."

"What we got was a whole lot of bad information from these people who just told whatever they thought the interrogator wanted to hear," McCain said. "Are we going to subject people to torture? Is that what the United States is all about?"

McCain said he spoke with Petraeus on Monday morning, who told him the best way to get information is to be a friend of the prisoner and develop a relationship over time.

And waterboarding is in violation of the law.

"They're in violation of the Geneva conventions and I believe that they're lying when they said they got useful information," said McCain. "They, in fact. I know they're lying when they are saying that they didn't. They got a whole lot of information that was totally false, because when you torture somebody. The major thing is, do we want to resort to doing things that our enemies do? Do we want to be on the same plain as those people chopping off heads?"

While at first he was hesitant to call anyone a liar on the issue, former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who served under then-president George W. Bush was lying when he pointed out examples of how well waterboarding works.

But, "the point is not whether he is a liar or not," McCain said. "The point is even if we had gotten useful information, the propaganda and image and the behavior of the greatest nation on Earth by torturing people is not what we want and it helps the enemy."

McCain said he chooses to believe military experts such as Petraeus, not Mukasey, when it comes to how it hurts the United States military to approve torturing of prisoners.

"Do we want a president who will violate the law?" McCain said of Trump. "I don't think so? We have enough of that with Barack Obama."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: McCain: Anyone Who Says Waterboarding Works is a Liar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:34:56 pm »
Yo! Johnny Boy!

Tell that to Khalid Sheik Mohammed, you senile bastard!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:57 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=713308

Newsmax
Monday, February 8, 2016 02:08 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Sen. John McCain Monday slammed Donald Trump's comments over the weekend praising the merits of waterboarding, saying that that anyone who claims the extreme interrogation technique is a way to get useful information is lying.

"This is a near-death experience," McCain said on Fox News' "Outnumbered" program, which his daughter, Meghan, co-hosts. "They will tell that person who is administering that anything they want to hear."

During Saturday night's GOP debate and on several Sunday morning shows, Trump commented that if he becomes president, he would "absolutely authorize" waterboarding or "a hell of a lot worse."

"They're chopping off heads of Christians and many other people in the Middle East," Trump told CNN's Jake Tapper on the "State of the Union" program. "They're chopping heads off, they laugh at us when they hear we're not going to approve waterboarding and then they'll have a James Foley and others where they cut off their heads."

McCain, who himself was tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, pointed out that the Geneva convention prohibits the technique, and there has been a 93-3 vote in the Senate to stop it.

Further, the Arizona Republican issued an official statement on Monday on the topic, quoting several experts who call the practice's outcome dangerous for American military personnel.

"I think all of us admire Gen. David Petraeus, [so] let me give you his quote,"
the veteran senator and former presidential nominee said. "'Our nation has paid a high price in recent decades for the information gained by the use of techniques beyond those in, beyond those in the field manual. And in my view, that price far outweighed the value of the information gained through the use of techniques beyond those in the manual.'"

The revelations about the waterboarding techniques used at the Abu Ghraib prison shocked the world, McCain continued, and was used as propaganda for Islamist extremists.

"We tried Japanese generals and hung them for war crimes," said McCain. "One of the crimes was waterboarding."

And while there have been some who say the technique led to the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden, McCain said, "they're lying."

"What we got was a whole lot of bad information from these people who just told whatever they thought the interrogator wanted to hear," McCain said. "Are we going to subject people to torture? Is that what the United States is all about?"

McCain said he spoke with Petraeus on Monday morning, who told him the best way to get information is to be a friend of the prisoner and develop a relationship over time.

And waterboarding is in violation of the law.

"They're in violation of the Geneva conventions and I believe that they're lying when they said they got useful information," said McCain. "They, in fact. I know they're lying when they are saying that they didn't. They got a whole lot of information that was totally false, because when you torture somebody. The major thing is, do we want to resort to doing things that our enemies do? Do we want to be on the same plain as those people chopping off heads?"

While at first he was hesitant to call anyone a liar on the issue, former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who served under then-president George W. Bush was lying when he pointed out examples of how well waterboarding works.

But, "the point is not whether he is a liar or not," McCain said. "The point is even if we had gotten useful information, the propaganda and image and the behavior of the greatest nation on Earth by torturing people is not what we want and it helps the enemy."

McCain said he chooses to believe military experts such as Petraeus, not Mukasey, when it comes to how it hurts the United States military to approve torturing of prisoners.

"Do we want a president who will violate the law?" McCain said of Trump. "I don't think so? We have enough of that with Barack Obama."

Fox News' "Outnumbered" program, which his daughter, Meghan, co-hosts.
his daughter has a show on fox.  **nononono*  john you are a traitor to this country and you are lying to us by saying this. pyle

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:52:25 pm »
Yo! Johnny Boy!

Tell that to Khalid Sheik Mohammed, you senile bastard!

This guy needs to go. 

He's still promoting Lindsay Graham's juggernaut campaign.

Arizona can do better.  Senility is not something I joke about but ... you may be right.   He's not all there and he's the guy allowing Obama to decimate the military this past 7 years.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:59:59 pm »

I had a "near-death experience" when I had to vote for John McCain.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:03:51 am »
This guy needs to go. 

He's still promoting Lindsay Graham's juggernaut campaign.

Arizona can do better.  Senility is not something I joke about but ... you may be right.   He's not all there and he's the guy allowing Obama to decimate the military this past 7 years.
him still being around is a perfect example for term limits. he isn't senile.....he is a traitor.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:54:50 am »
Since McCain gave up information about his unit to the Viet Cong after being tortured, I think he needs to recuse himself from this whole discussion.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:59:21 am »
Since McCain gave up information about his unit to the Viet Cong after being tortured, I think he needs to recuse himself from this whole discussion.

I'll second that! And for a hell of a lot more reasons that just that one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:00 am »
I don't now what McCain is doing here or why, but waterboarding is used everywhere in the world as a torture technique. Special Forces, SEALs, and spys, are trained to endure it for that reason.

So, every government in the world is using a torture technique that doesn't work. Black Ops American troops are being trained to withstand something which does not work.

According to McCain they are all wasting their time. Interesting point of view.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 01:31:44 am »
I don't now what McCain is doing here or why, but waterboarding is used everywhere in the world as a torture technique. Special Forces, SEALs, and spys, are trained to endure it for that reason.

So, every government in the world is using a torture technique that doesn't work. Black Ops American troops are being trained to withstand something which does not work.

According to McCain they are all wasting their time. Interesting point of view.

Yeah! Interesting and STUPID!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:33:25 am »
It doesn't work except when it does.
Simple.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 02:59:00 am »
I watched McCain when he made these statements on "Outnumbered" regarding waterboarding. However, the article leaves out that toward the end of his comments, McCain stated he would use waterboarding if the situation were dire, such as a hidden nuclear device.

This, obviously, creates a bit of a paradox. According to him waterboarding produces "a whole lot of bad information from these people who just told whatever they thought the interrogator wanted to hear." Yet he's willing to use in a life and death situation to elicit critical information.

Hmmm, maybe he is senile.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 03:58:35 am »
I do not think this issue should have ever become a political issues.  It is a military issue.  A military tool.  The appropriateness of it seems like it should be on a case by case basis.  If you are talking about ISIS and Boko Haram kidnapping school girls and raping, enslaving and murdering them by turning them into suicide bombers ----YES, I AM PERFECTLY FINE WITH THE TACTIC.  Still, it should not be a football in the political arena.  The left is to blame for that.  They so hated W that they would use anything.  Shame on them.  Shame on their pet poodle, McCain.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner here!

The fact is that no one should know anything about any of the methods used to gather intelligence except those with an absolute NEED TO KNOW!

- J. R. R. Tolkien