Author Topic: Obama Urges Congress To Pass A Law Stopping Felons From Obtaining Guns  (Read 1024 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Urges Congress To Pass A Law Stopping Felons From Obtaining Guns

Brian Anderson
February 26, 2016

http://downtrend.com/71superb/obama-urges-congress-to-pass-a-law-stopping-felons-from-obtaining-guns

When Cedric Ford opened fire at a lawnmower factory in Kansas yesterday killing 3 and wounding 15, I speculated that liberals would use the shooting to push gun control laws that wouldn’t have stopped the rampage. It’s not that I have the power to see the future; it’s just how pathetically predictable lefties are. Even though Ford was a convicted felon and was not allowed to own guns, Obama is slamming Congress for not passing laws to stop criminals like the Kansas shooter.

ABC News reports that Obama was wasting taxpayer money in Florida, speaking at a battery plant, when he inevitably exploited a tragedy to shove gun control down our throats:

“We cannot become numb to this. Anybody who says they want to keep the American people safe has to care about this. Because it’s happening in far too many towns and affecting far too many innocent Americans,” said Obama.

He’s talking about passing more restrictions to gun ownership in America. How does making it harder for law-abiding people to defend themselves create a safer America? The correct answer is: it doesn’t.

Obama also mentioned the recent Kalamazoo, MI shooting where an Uber driver killed 6 people between picking up and dropping off passengers.

“These acts may not dominate the news today, but these are two more communities in America that are torn apart by grief. And I felt it was important for me to say something today because somehow — as I’ve said before — this becomes routine, these sort of mass shootings that are taking place,” he continued.

I guess Obama doesn’t watch the news because the Kalamazoo and Kansas shootings have absolutely been dominating the press. I remember reading somewhere that he only watches ESPN, so maybe if he’s going to be ignorant of what’s going on he shouldn’t comment on it. If he has an opinion on Steph Curry’s jump shot that’s fine, but leave the rest of this stuff to people who are well-informed.

Obama promised to keep trying to take our gun rights away and then went after the Republican Congress:

“Right now this Congress may not have the appetite to do something about it, but we need one that does. As long as I hold this office, I’m going to keep bringing this up. Even if it’s not getting the same attention that it should,” Obama said.

Putting this into the context of the two recent shootings Obama is trying to exploit, this becomes one of the president’s dumbest gun control statements ever. The Kalamazoo shooter had no criminal history, no record of mental illness, and he passed background checks to buy the guns he owned. The Kansas shooter was a convicted felon and was restricted by law from owning guns. What additional laws does Obama think would have stopped either of these two killers from going on a shooting spree?

What Obama is saying is that Congress doesn’t have the balls to a pass law to stop felons from illegally obtaining firearms. He’s also slamming Congress for not passing a law that stops law-abiding citizens from purchasing guns.

As it turns out, these things are already addressed by existing laws. Felons cannot own firearms, but for some reason they choose to ignore this law. Another law making it extra-illegal for felons to possess guns isn’t going to be more of a deterrent.

As for stopping people with no criminal record or history of mental illness from getting guns, the US Constitution has that covered. The 2nd Amendment tells us the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. You’d think as a Constitutional scholar that Obama would have heard of that one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:13:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Bill Cipher

Re: Obama Urges Congress To Pass A Law Stopping Felons From Obtaining Guns
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »
As it turns out, these things are already addressed by existing laws. Felons cannot own firearms, but for some reason they choose to ignore this law. Another law making it extra-illegal for felons to possess guns isn’t going to be more of a deterrent.

The problem seems to be in the enforcement.  It's all very well to say that felons cannot own guns, but how is that to be enforced, particularly if they're not buying them from licensed gun shops?

As for stopping people with no criminal record or history of mental illness from getting guns, the US Constitution has that covered. The 2nd Amendment tells us the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. You’d think as a Constitutional scholar that Obama would have heard of that one.

Actually, reasonable "infringement" of constitutional rights happens all the time.  Nothing in the First Amendment prevents Congress or any other legislature from making it illegal to yell "fire" in a crowded theater.  Perhaps there needs to be more reasonable infringement on this right in the name of saving some more lives.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:16:42 pm by Bill Cipher »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:21:52 pm »
for some reason they choose to ignore this law
That's why they're generally referred to as "criminals."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:28:11 pm »
If he is really interested in keeping guns out of the hands of felons, why doesn't he direct his justice department to aggressively confiscate the guns from every known felon in America?  He could do that easily enough.  Instead, he is advocating releasing hundreds of thousands of convicted felons on early parole while attempting to make it harder for law-abiding Americans to own guns.  I wonder where that will lead? 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:52 pm »
Obama had no problem putting guns in the hands of Mexican felons, mind you.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »
If he is really interested in keeping guns out of the hands of felons, why doesn't he direct his justice department to aggressively confiscate the guns from every known felon in America?  He could do that easily enough.  Instead, he is advocating releasing hundreds of thousands of convicted felons on early parole while attempting to make it harder for law-abiding Americans to own guns.  I wonder where that will lead? 

How would that work in practice, though?  Will every felon spend what amounts to a lifetime on parole, always subject at every moment to having his property searched to see if he happens to have a gun?

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:28 pm »
How would that work in practice, though?  Will every felon spend what amounts to a lifetime on parole, always subject at every moment to having his property searched to see if he happens to have a gun?

He could at least start with current parolees and go from there.  I am not necessarily advocating that he do this.  Only pointing out that current law gives him the authority, since felons owning guns is illegal.  In fact, right now in most jurisdictions when a felon is found with a gun they just confiscate the gun and do not prosecute the felon. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 02:06:19 pm »
He could at least start with current parolees and go from there.  I am not necessarily advocating that he do this.  Only pointing out that current law gives him the authority, since felons owning guns is illegal.  In fact, right now in most jurisdictions when a felon is found with a gun they just confiscate the gun and do not prosecute the felon. 

I understand.  But what's being called for goes beyond just keeping tabs on current parolees.  I'm just curious about the mechanics.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:44:47 pm »
I understand.  But what's being called for goes beyond just keeping tabs on current parolees.  I'm just curious about the mechanics.

OK, let's just say he could more aggressively prosecute felons who are found to be in possession of firearms.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 06:55:40 pm »
How about Congress pass a law insisting that criminals obey all laws.
Don't laugh. Some folks actually believe that's all we need. My husband, who recently retired from the administration of a college, was at a function where the teenaged daughter of the college president started sharing her views on gun control and crime. She very earnestly said exactly that, to-wit, we just need laws making it illegal to commit crimes with guns (or something to that effect). The president, mortified, tried to change the subject.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:04 pm »
OK, let's just say he could more aggressively prosecute felons who are found to be in possession of firearms.

Ok.  But that still doesn't seem like it would catch the recent shooter. 

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:13:31 pm »
He's doing this because he understands that Republican politicians will respond with knee-jerk opposition.

Which the press will use in an election cycle.

IE: "Mr. Candidate, why are you on record as saying that convicted felons should own guns?"

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 07:13:48 pm »
Liberal logic 101!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »
There are already 20,000 gun control laws on the books.  What are the odds that 20,001 is the one to save the world from guns? :bullie smokin: