Author Topic: Rubio's Tough Night  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Rubio's Tough Night
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 04:41:53 pm »
What I'm hoping is that New Hampshire voters will agree with Christie that Rubio (and Cruz and Trump) all lack the experience to be President, but disagree that Christie's the best choice.  By far the most qualified, experienced and temperate governor is John Kasich.

Kasich?   :nometalk: :nometalk: :nometalk:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 04:46:46 pm »
What I'm hoping is that New Hampshire voters will agree with Christie that Rubio (and Cruz and Trump) all lack the experience to be President, but disagree that Christie's the best choice.  By far the most qualified, experienced and temperate governor is John Kasich.

Kasich? The wannabe preacher man guy?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 05:32:30 pm »
Kasich? The wannabe preacher man guy?

Yep, Kasich: 

-  The only candidate with a true connection to Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich.

-  The only candidate who's a movement conservative, not TEA party or jackass populist. 

-  The only candidate with extensive legislative, foreign policy AND executive experience.

-  The only candidate with a proven record of support as a pragmatic conservative in a swing state that MUST go GOP this year if we want to win.

-  IMO, the most authentic Christian in the race.

John Kasich - tough, temperate, principled, experienced,  pragmatic, electable.   The heartland conservative with a heart.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »
Yep, Kasich: 

-  The only candidate with a true connection to Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich.

-  The only candidate who's a movement conservative, not TEA party or jackass populist. 

-  The only candidate with extensive legislative, foreign policy AND executive experience.

-  The only candidate with a proven record of support as a pragmatic conservative in a swing state that MUST go GOP this year if we want to win.

John Kasich - tough, temperate, principled, experienced,  pragmatic, electable.   The heartland conservative with a heart.     

John Kasich is, IMHO, as close to a democrat as one can be and still call himself a republican!  NO WAY I will vote for him in the primary and if I vote for him in the general it will be against the democrat and not a vote FOR him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »
Yep, Kasich: 

And the guy that sucks on policy. His first and foremost goal is to reach across the aisle. He's like Mitch McConnell's half-brother.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:46:38 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2016, 05:52:38 pm »
Almost by definition,  a governor can't be an ideological purist.  He must lead,  address real problems, assemble coalitions.  But a governor - especially one whose experience is as all-encompassing as Kasich's - can make a great President, especially if the GOP can retain Congress.

That's the real issue there - if the GOP can regain the Presidency while retaining Congress, the conservative agenda can advance.  A nominee like Trump or Cruz will not only lose the White House, but will also be a down-ticket disaster for the rest of the party.

Nominate Kasich, and sunny days are ahead.  Nominate Trump or Cruz, and the conservative movement and all its current leverage and influence will be eradicated.   

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2016, 06:00:47 pm »
Almost by definition,  a governor can't be an ideological purist.  He must lead,  address real problems, assemble coalitions.  But a governor - especially one whose experience is as all-encompassing as Kasich's - can make a great President, especially if the GOP can retain Congress.

That's the real issue there - if the GOP can regain the Presidency while retaining Congress, the conservative agenda can advance.  A nominee like Trump or Cruz will not only lose the White House, but will also be a down-ticket disaster for the rest of the party.

Nominate Kasich, and sunny days are ahead.  Nominate Trump or Cruz, and the conservative movement and all its current leverage and influence will be eradicated.

Exactly what leverage and influence are you talking about?  Who has seen ANY of it?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 06:07:47 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 06:11:17 pm »

Governors are capable of and do the same things obama is doing.
McAuliffe is a perfect example, he has his team in place and they are making all sorts of executive decisions outside of the state legislature so simply stating he is a governor is not worth spit.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:09 pm »

Kasich is another candidate in the Romney/McCain mold. Uninspiring, lack of fight, too willing to compromise right off the bat.

You need to look at the Sanders/Trump phenomenon to understand why Kasich doesn't have a chance, or a clue.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 06:22:09 pm »
John Kasich is, IMHO, as close to a democrat as one can be and still call himself a republican!  NO WAY I will vote for him in the primary and if I vote for him in the general it will be against the democrat and not a vote FOR him!

In fact, didn't he just recently say something to the effect that he should have run as a democrat?  Not sure what the context was.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »

That might be true in normal times, with a federal government constrained by its constitution.  That's very far from where we are right now though, and we don't need a "get-along" kind of person at the helm.  Hence the popularity of DT.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 06:43:31 pm »
Ohio and New Jersey Sanctuary Cities

Ohio
  • Columbus, OH        (7/5/07 Source: 5/10/07 Columbus Dispatch article stating illegal aliens in misdemeanor cases are not reported to ICE)  See more below.
  • Dayton, OH            (Added 1-11-10 Source:  Dayton Daily News story by Lucas Sullivan.  Police chief prohibits officers from asking about immigration status.)
  • Lake County, OH   (Added 7-23-15 Source:  Lake County accepts fraudulent Mexican Matricular Counsular ID cards used by illegal aliens.)
  • Lima, OH                    (Added 10-28-08 Source: City administration opposes County Sheriff's efforts to remove illegal aliens.) 
  • Lorain, OH             (Added 4-21-14 Source:  Lorain Police Chief Celestino Rivera has ordered (by written policy) his officers not to cooperate with ICE) See addl. notes below.
  • Lucas County, OH  (Added 7-23-15 Source:  Lucas County accepts fraudulent Mexican Matricular Counsular ID cards used by illegal aliens)
  • Oberlin, OH           (Added 1-25-09. Source: City Resolution adopted January 20, 2009)   
  • Painesville, OH        (7-19-07 Source: In 2006, the city of Painesville in an official letter called illegal aliens (they used the word "undocumented" a valuable asset to the city and opposed immigration law enforcement legislation. I have a copy of that letter in my file.  Although the city of Painesville passed a Resolution in support of immigration law enforcement as a result of public pressure, the city remains in opposition to aggressive immigration law enforcement and the deportation of the illegal alien population in the community.  We will be looking into the past actions of the Painesville Municipal Court too regarding its role in preventing the deportation of deportable aliens.)
New Jersey Sanctuary Cities
  • Camden, NJ                   (Added in 2007. Latest source: Camden, Immigrant Haven?, By Lauren Feeney, City Paper, 7-16-08)
  • Freehold, NJ                  (Added 11-5-15.  Local resident; Ground Zero For A Hot Topic, 10-19-15, Asbury Park Press)
  • *                                 * (The Borough of Fort Lee removed pending review of its compliance with IIRIRA). The city disputes its listing as a sanctuary.)
  • Middlesex Co., NJ          (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)         
  • Hightstown, NJ               (Added 5-30-07  The city disputes its listing as a sanctuary.)
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Newark, NJ                    (Added 6-3-07; Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report, added 10-13-15 )
  • North Bergen, NJ
  • Ocean Co., NJ               (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)
  • Trenton, NJ
  • Union City, NJ
  • Union Co., NJ               (Added 10-13-15, Source: 10-8-14 DHS DDO Report)     
  • West New York, NJ
http://www.ojjpac.org/sanctuary.asp
So how again are governors better than anyone else to govern?
They pick and choose which laws they want to enforce and push federal/state tax dollars into illegals pockets.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:43:53 pm by EdinVA »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 06:52:54 pm »
Kasich is another candidate in the Romney/McCain mold. Uninspiring, lack of fight, too willing to compromise right off the bat.

You need to look at the Sanders/Trump phenomenon to understand why Kasich doesn't have a chance, or a clue.

Kasich has plenty of fight.  Don't shove him into a convenient box with Romney/McCain.  Kasich has solid conservative credentials dating back to the dawn of the Reagan revolution.   He's a MOVEMENT conservative, not the TEA party variety.   

The "Sanders/Trump phenomenon"  is a bunch of angry folks eager to cut off their noses to spite their faces. Sanders or Trump as the nominee provides catharthis but will hand the election to the other party.  I am not going to stand idly by while folks  (at least those on my side) prepare to do something so flippin' stupid and self-destructive. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:54:04 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »
Kasich has plenty of fight.  Don't shove him into a convenient box with Romney/McCain.  Kasich has solid conservative credentials dating back to the dawn of the Reagan revolution.   He's a MOVEMENT conservative, not the TEA party variety.   

The "Sanders/Trump phenomenon"  is a bunch of angry folks eager to cut off their noses to spite their faces. Sanders or Trump as the nominee provides catharthis but will hand the election to the other party.  I am not going to stand idly by while folks  (at least those on my side) prepare to do something so flippin' stupid and self-destructive.

You can talk about Kasich being a movement conservative all you want. That may have been the man 20 years ago. But that is not the man now. His first and foremost principle is compromise, not principle itself. Compromise before principle is not compromise, but capitulation. We are all tired of white flag Republicans.

The nation also no longer wants that kind of elected representation of suit wearing, grinning and back slapping frat boys standing on stage after making 'bipartisan' deals that end up screwing us and protecting them. Kasich is just another one of the high-minded crowd more interested in feeling bipartisan righteous than being effective.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2016, 07:19:26 pm »
You can talk about Kasich being a movement conservative all you want. That may have been the man 20 years ago. But that is not the man now. His first and foremost principle is compromise, not principle itself. Compromise before principle is not compromise, but capitulation. We are all tired of white flag Republicans.

The nation also no longer wants that kind of elected representation of suit wearing, grinning and back slapping frat boys standing on stage after making 'bipartisan' deals that end up screwing us and protecting them. Kasich is just another one of the high-minded crowd more interested in feeling bipartisan righteous than being effective.

Sick to DEATH of them in fact!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 07:27:27 pm »

Wrong on all counts. Absolutely and complete divorced from any contact with fact.

Please site for me the passage in the Bible where it states, as Kaisch does,

Thous shall rob the productive of the fruits of their labor so that it can be used by politicians to create a permanent underclass dependent on the hand outs from the said political class in exchange for bi annual votes.

REAL Christians know that compassion and charity are INDIVIDUAL responsibilities, not ones you push off on to the Government so you can shirk your responsibilities to your fellow humans.

Kaisch is fundementally unfit to be in any office. He has exactly the wrong moral compass.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:27:48 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 07:34:18 pm »
Wrong on all counts. Absolutely and complete divorced from any contact with fact.

Please site for me the passage in the Bible where it states, as Kaisch does,

Thous shall rob the productive of the fruits of their labor so that it can be used by politicians to create a permanent underclass dependent on the hand outs from the said political class in exchange for bi annual votes.

REAL Christians know that compassion and charity are INDIVIDUAL responsibilities, not ones you push off on to the Government so you can shirk your responsibilities to your fellow humans.

Kaisch is fundementally unfit to be in any office. He has exactly the wrong moral compass.

:amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 08:06:59 pm »

I will add - the other canard that the moderates like to float is the Karl Rove school of thinking that if we don't be moderate and compromising, and nominate such candidates we will lose. Look however at the record.

For President, Ford was moderate and lost. Reagan was conservative and won. HW Bush compromised on taxes and was thrown out. Bob Dole lost. W Bush barely won, and lost the Congress decidedly during his term of 'compassionate conservatism'. He also didn't fight the Democrats much. McCain lost. Romney lost.

When we've been bold, we've won. The '94 Gingrich win. We did similar in '10. We shut down the govt and it didn't affect us. We made noise like we were going to do something in '14, and we won.

Except we did nothing, and now we are falling out of favor again. The facts are at odds with the Karl Rove fantasy that's been pushed on us for 20+ years.

The moderates need to get in touch with the times. They are tin-eared and wandering in the desert.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:07:30 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 08:09:16 pm »
I will add - the other canard that the moderates like to float is the Karl Rove school of thinking that if we don't be moderate and compromising, and nominate such candidates we will lose. Look however at the record.

For President, Ford was moderate and lost. Reagan was conservative and won. HW Bush compromised on taxes and was thrown out. Bob Dole lost. W Bush barely won, and lost the Congress decidedly during his term of 'compassionate conservatism'. He also didn't fight the Democrats much. McCain lost. Romney lost.

When we've been bold, we've won. The '94 Gingrich win. We did similar in '10. We shut down the govt and it didn't affect us. We made noise like we were going to do something in '14, and we won.

Except we did nothing, and now we are falling out of favor again. The facts are at odds with the Karl Rove fantasy that's been pushed on us for 20+ years.

The moderates need to get in touch with the times. They are tin-eared and wandering in the desert.

Yo are on a roll today my friend!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »

Folks like me (and John Kasich) aren't "moderates", we're conservatives.  But we're pragmatic conservatives, focused on policy not partisan combat. 

Is Kasich the only GOP candidate that can win the general election?  Of course not - there are several that can, although Kasich is by far the most qualified and experienced (and has the movement conservative credentials).   But don't delude yourself - a hatemonger like Trump cannot win the general election,  and I doubt that Cruz can either.   (I think nominating Cruz would be a mistake, but I'd support him.  Nominating Trump would be a travesty and I would kiss the GOP goodbye.)   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:27:31 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:30 pm »
Like Kaisch, you are in the wrong political party JZ

John Kasich: I'm a good middle ground between Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders

http://theweek.com/speedreads/604396/john-kasich-im-good-middle-ground-between-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 09:32:03 pm »
Like Kaisch, you are in the wrong political party JZ

John Kasich: I'm a good middle ground between Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders

http://theweek.com/speedreads/604396/john-kasich-im-good-middle-ground-between-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders

I've been a Republican and a conservative for 40 years.  Trump's never been a conservative,  and was a Democrat until only very recently.  But go ahead and trash real conservatives and real Republicans in favor of your Dear Leader.  Sheesh.     
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:33:44 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 09:33:37 pm »
Folks like me (and John Kasich) aren't "moderates", we're conservatives.  But we're pragmatic conservatives, focused on policy not partisan combat. 

Is Kasich the only GOP candidate that can win the general election?  Of course not - there are several that can, although Kasich is by far the most qualified and experienced (and has the movement conservative credentials).   But don't delude yourself - a hatemonger like Trump cannot win the general election,  and I doubt that Cruz can either.   (I think nominating Cruz would be a mistake, but I'd support him.  Nominating Trump would be a travesty and I would kiss the GOP goodbye.)

Trump isn't a hatemonger.  It's not hate to say that we need to control our borders and not admit people who are anti-American at heart.*

* Whether he'll actually do what he says or not is another issue.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2016, 09:36:21 pm »
Trump isn't a hatemonger.  It's not hate to say that we need to control our borders and not admit people who are anti-American at heart.*

* Whether he'll actually do what he says or not is another issue.

His rhetoric is deliberately divisive and poisonous, and appeals to the worst in people.  Ask the white supremacists -they're on the Trump bandwagon.

Yes, Trump's a hatemonger.   If immigration's your big issue then show some class and vote for Cruz.