Author Topic: Obama: 'I'm not the first' president accused of being a Muslim  (Read 312 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama: 'I'm not the first' president accused of being a Muslim
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-im-not-the-first-president-accused-of-being-a-muslim/article/2582324

By Nicole Duran (@Duranni1) • 2/3/16 2:56 PM

President Obama said Wednesday that he's in "good company" when critics claim that he's secretly a follower of Islam.

"Thomas Jefferson's opponents tried to stir things up by suggesting he was a Muslim, so I'm not the first," Obama said Wednesday at the Islamic Society of Baltimore, making him the first president to enter an American mosque. "It's true, look it up," he said to laughs.

"No one knows whether Mr. Jefferson believes in the heathen mythology or in the" Quran, the Connecticut Courant wrote in 1800.

Obama's historic visit was meant to encourage inclusion of all faiths at a time of increased resentment against Muslims, in part because of fears about Islamic State terror attacks in the U.S. and around the world. Obama spoke about America's history with anti-Semitism, anti-Catholicism and anti-Mormonism, and recalled President Kennedy's first election, when some warned that Kennedy, a Catholic, would take orders from the pope instead of the Constitution.

"So if we're serious about freedom of religion — and, I'm speaking now to my fellow Christians who remain the majority in this country — we have to understand that an attack on one faith is an attack on all our faiths," Obama said. "And when any religious group is targeted, we all have a responsibility to speak up."

"And we have to reject a politics that seeks to manipulate prejudice or bias and targets people because of religion," he said. But Obama also called on Muslims worldwide to also help persecuted Christians and Jews.

"None of us can be silent; we can't be bystanders to bigotry," he said.

In combating terrorism, Americans cannot adopt the terrorists' rhetoric, Obama said. Noting that the self-proclaimed Islamic State bills itself as warriors of Mohammed, Obama said no one should believe or repeat their false claims.

"I refuse to give them legitimacy," Obama said. "We must never give them that legitimacy … they're not defending Islam; they're not defending Muslims," he said, adding that most their victims are Muslims.

The best way to fight terrorism is to "deny them legitimacy," he said. Americans cannot suppress Islam or suggest that the religion is the problem, and instead, they must lift up American Muslims. "That's how you show they lie they are trying to propagate," he said, speaking of the Islamic State.

He said Muslims around the world and in America are rejecting the Islamic State's rhetoric and condemning their actions. And as a result, they are becoming targets.

The world must "amplify" those Muslim voices and support clerics and scholars who reject terrorism, Obama said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama: 'I'm not the first' president accused of being a Muslim
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:39 pm »
The first raised and educated as a Muslim, though. And if you believe B. Obama Sr. really is his natural father, the first spawned by a Muslim.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:13 pm »
He said Muslims around the world and in America are rejecting the Islamic State's rhetoric and condemning their actions. And as a result, they are becoming targets.
The world must "amplify" those Muslim voices and support clerics and scholars who reject terrorism, Obama said.

So why does "the world" need to amplify these voices if "Muslims around the world and in America" are already rejecting Islamic State's rhetoric and condemning their actions?  (Does that mean that al Qaeda's or Boko Haram's rhetoric is still not rejected?)

They can't afford a 50 amp fuse on their own?  Where'd all that oil money go?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »
It is on the Internet so it must be true.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:20:18 pm »

But very likely are the first one who actually is one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:05:52 pm »
 :nometalk: