Author Topic: Jimmy Carter endorses Donald Trump … over Ted Cruz  (Read 2202 times)

Offline flowers

Jimmy Carter endorses Donald Trump … over Ted Cruz
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:16:48 pm »
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/03/jimmy-carter-endorses-donald-trump-over-ted-cruz/

Coming soon to a Ted Cruz campaign ad near you?

Former President Jimmy Carter, at Britain’s House of Lords on Wednesday to deliver a lecture on the campaign to eradicate the Guinea worm disease, was derailed for a few minutes by a BBC reporter who asked about the presidential election.

Carter opened with praise for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’ “remarkable” showing in Iowa’s Democratic caucus and a prediction that frontrunner Hillary Clinton will ultimately score the party’s nod.

Then he turned to the GOP, predicting that billionaire Donald Trump will “fade away.”

Our AJC colleague Jill Vejnoska, comfortably on this side of the pond, has the rest.

From her dispatch:

“When people actually get ready to put on a ballot, ‘This is the person I want to lead me for the next four or eight years, I think they’ll have a little different opinion,’” Carter said.

Still, better him than Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, he said.

If he had to choose between Cruz and Trump for the Republican

ruh roh.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

HAPPY2BME

Re: Jimmy Carter endorses Donald Trump … over Ted Cruz
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:51 pm »
That was actually a non-endorsement.

==========================

Yes.  It actually was.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »
What have I been saying?

Former US President Jimmy Carter tonight told the UK Parliament he wants Donald Trump to land the Republican nomination ahead of frontrunner Ted Cruz .

Speaking on a visit to Britain, the 91-year-old Democrat warned Mr Cruz is committed to “Far Right-wing politics” which he would pursue “aggressively” if he makes it to the White House.

By contrast, Carter said, outspoken billionaire Mr Trump has no fixed views at all.

“If I had a choice of Republican nominees, between Cruz and Trump, I think I would choose. Trump - which may surprise some of you,” he told an audience in the House of Lords.

“The reason is, Trump has proven already that he is completely malleable.

“I don't think he has any fixed opinion that he would fight for.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/famous-left-winger-jimmy-carter-7304436

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:54 pm »

This misleading headline was knocked down right here at TBR just 15-20 minutes ago...

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:38:48 pm »
That was actually a non-endorsement.

Jimmy Carter, really?

If you get past the headline and read what he actually said, it should make any Trump supporter cringe. His reason for Trump  over Cruz is Trump has no positions, and will work with Democrats. Malleable  is the word he used. No not an endoresment, but If Carter called The Speaker of the house "malleable" you all would be screaming for the  "RINOs" head, and demand he be replaced..
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:43:15 pm »
If you get past the headline and read what he actually said, it should make any Trump supporter cringe. His reason for Trump  over Cruz is Trump has no positions, and will work with Democrats. Malleable  is the word he used. No not an endoresment, but If Carter called The Speaker of the house "malleable" you all would be screaming for the  "RINOs" head, and demand he be replaced..

Exactly.  Something many of us have been saying. Trump's name and reputation have always been for sale and he has shown he'll take any position on an issue if it makes the deal of the day. He has been in the business of selling his name, which is selling himself to almost anyone that will throw a buck his way. Trump water, Trump steaks, Trump Ice, Trump Vodka, Trump University, Trump diet pills, Trump the magazine, Trump the game, Trump Financial, Trump Flamethrowers... OK, I made the last one up.

Endorsement or non endorsement, it still says a lot.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:44:13 pm »

Well, Paul Ryan has very quickly proven for posterity that he is very malleable indeed!  So the supporters of Ryan should also support Trump...or take Door #3, behind which it says: This is Jimmy Carter talking!

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:20 pm »
Clearly, Jimmeh sees Bernie as a kindred spirit. We already know he saw Yasser Arafat as a kindred spirit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:59:36 pm »

I don't give one care about what Jimmy Carter said about any GOP candidate.  I do care about his anti-Semitic and pro-Castro words, though.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here, other than you seemingly care about Carter's opinion on the GOP race.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:00:11 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 12:07:34 am »
I don't give one care about what Jimmy Carter said about any GOP candidate.  I do care about his anti-Semitic and pro-Castro words, though.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here, other than you seemingly care about Carter's opinion on the GOP race.

Carling, if he said that about Cruz or Rubio, you certainly would care about what Jimmy Carter said. You may have been the first posting the story.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Carling

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 12:16:14 am »
Carling, if he said that about Cruz or Rubio, you certainly would care about what Jimmy Carter said. You may have been the first posting the story.

I'm a Cruz supporter.  What are you talking about?
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 12:31:49 am »
If you get past the headline and read what he actually said, it should make any Trump supporter cringe. His reason for Trump  over Cruz is Trump has no positions, and will work with Democrats.

=================================

Using your own logic, the entire GOP leadership must immediately be impeached from holding office for not a single day more.

Justification:  The entire GOP leadership has not just 'worked' with the Democrats - THEY HAVE BECOME THEM.

Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Paul Ryan, John McCain and an entire cast of traitors fit your description to an infinitesimal TEE.

Prosecution begins in five minutes ..

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 12:53:27 am »
Carter did NOT endorse Trump. 

Another misleading headline.

There's a yuge difference in saying, "If it's going to be THIS or THAT, I'd rather have THIS" - than to say, "I support and endorse THIS."

At what point can we just call the headline a lie?

**nononono*

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 01:34:15 am »
Carter did NOT endorse Trump. 

Another misleading headline.

There's a yuge difference in saying, "If it's going to be THIS or THAT, I'd rather have THIS" - than to say, "I support and endorse THIS."

At what point can we just call the headline a lie?

**nononono*

I think we've reached the point.  The headline is a lie.  (But that won't stop Cruz from using it)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:00 am »
I think we've reached the point.  The headline is a lie.  (But that won't stop Cruz from using it)

Nah! He won't touch it! Not even I would put Donald Trump on the same level with Jimmuh CAAATA!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 02:07:45 am »
Nah! He won't touch it! Not even I would put Donald Trump on the same level with Jimmuh CAAATA!

Every now and then you remind me why I adore you!   ^-^

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 02:11:09 am »
Every now and then you remind me why I adore you!   ^-^

888heartkitty
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 02:14:22 am »
I think we've reached the point.  The headline is a lie. (But that won't stop Cruz from using it)

Or his followers.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 03:00:22 am »
I don't believe Cruz will jump on this, but some folks won't look beyond the misleading headline, unfortunately.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 03:09:20 am »
I don't believe Cruz will jump on this, but some folks won't look beyond the misleading headline, unfortunately.

Very true, mountaineer.  We "Trumpsters" have to deal with trying to correct deliberately misleading information every day - all day long.  People that only read the headlines go on to repeat the lies over and over, and when you correct them, they ignore it and keep on repeating it because it fits their bias.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 03:18:23 am »
Or his followers.

Wow!  You guys just can't give it a rest!  WTH?  Gotta keep slamming the Cruz supporters, no matter what subject, no matter what facts.  Good f****** grief!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 05:22:21 am »
Very true, mountaineer.  We "Trumpsters" have to deal with trying to correct deliberately misleading information every day - all day long.  People that only read the headlines go on to repeat the lies over and over, and when you correct them, they ignore it and keep on repeating it because it fits their bias.
That's a mighty heavy cross to bear.  Thank goodness that never happens to supporters of Cruz or Rubio.