Author Topic: Ryan calls for unity, less anger from his fractious GOP  (Read 475 times)

Offline flowers

Ryan calls for unity, less anger from his fractious GOP
« on: February 03, 2016, 07:05:45 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HOUSE_REPUBLICANS_RYAN?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-02-03-11-07-42

WASHINGTON (AP) -- House Speaker Paul Ryan called on Republicans Wednesday to stop fighting angrily among themselves and not to be distracted by guns or other "hot-button" issues that President Barack Obama raises this election year.

"We can't fall into the progressives' trap of acting like angry reactionaries," Ryan, R-Wis., said at a Heritage Action for America policy meeting. "The left would love nothing more than for a fragmented conservative movement to stand in a circular firing squad, so the progressives can win by default."

Ryan's remarks followed a year that saw bitter strife between congressional conservatives and more pragmatic Republicans that led to the abrupt departure of the prior speaker, Ohio Rep. John Boehner. Ryan, the party's 2012 vice presidential nominee, ascended to the top House job at the behest of party elders and has repeatedly stressed the need for GOP harmony while promising to listen to all Republicans and to give more power to rank-and-file lawmakers.

Ryan said the GOP needs to unite behind a conservative, pro-growth agenda it can display to voters in the November elections. Even so, Republicans may struggle this election year to push a budget through Congress because of divisions over spending levels.

Ryan said Obama, "struggling to remain relevant in an election year when he's not on the ballot," will try helping elect another Democrat by trying to distract voters.

Unity????  Pfft!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Ryan calls for unity, less anger from his fractious GOP
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:08:45 pm »
Unity, but for what purpose? Standing on stage in our suits grinning and backslapping that we made a bipartisan deal, for the sole purpose of standing on stage in our suits grinning and backslapping that we made a bipartisan deal?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:05 pm »
Ryan said the GOP needs to unite behind a conservative, pro-growth agenda it can display to voters in the November elections

Translation: The GOP needs to speak the magic mantra and keep the donor money rolling in to our pockets.

Just like we always have.  The Democrats are fighting, let's win quietly and then do nothing again!
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:20 pm »
Ryan said the GOP needs to unite behind a conservative, pro-growth agenda it can display to voters in the November elections

Translation: The GOP needs to speak the magic mantra and keep the donor money rolling in to our pockets.

Just like we always have.  The Democrats are fighting, let's win quietly and then do nothing again!

Yep! Pretty much covers it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:24 pm »
Now he wants peace after he screws the AMERICAN people. I guess The Fake conservative PUNDITS and talk show hosts all want to come together and support the RINO candidate so they not us can win :bs:

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:38:33 pm »
"Ryan calls for unity, less anger from his fractious GOP"

The GOP is his? Fascinating. I wasn't even sure the Ryan was a Republican.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 08:45:10 pm »
"Ryan calls for unity, less anger from his fractious GOP"

The GOP is his? Fascinating. I wasn't even sure the Ryan was a Republican.

He is the Speaker for the UNIPARTY except for about 5-6 congressmen who are conservatives. :patriot: