Author Topic: First Things First- Who is Interested?  (Read 7473 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
First Things First- Who is Interested?
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:11:49 pm »
Before we take off with this, I want to gauge interest in who would like to contribute as a GOPBR Exclusive Reporter. This would mean covering local events, writing the stories, shooting photos, whatever your specialty is. 

It would also be an opportunity to write more exclusive content such as editorials and opinion pieces.

As we go forward, I'm even looking into very limited media credential offerings for a couple of members (known as courtesy credentials- not to be confused with security credentials, something I'll discuss later).

Also, who here has media experience or is affiliated with any media organizations that you can disclose? (I do know we have several members who are involved with the professional media but may not want to disclose the specifics versus remaining anonymous).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:31:59 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline flowers

Re: First Tthings First- Who is Interested?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »
I would follow this thread. I live to far from the human race to be a local reporter.

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:21:13 pm »
I would follow this thread. I live to far from the human race to be a local reporter.

There are always opinion pieces and research pieces. (such as slogging campaign finance documents).

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »
I am hoping my schedule will get more back to normal here soon, and once it is then yes.
For those who can, get back to the land. Homesteading is a revolutionary act of resistance.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:30:22 pm »
I wold follow it... ex computer nerds are not known for their writing ability... :)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: First Things First- Who is Interested?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:26 pm »
Expressing my interest...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:56:27 pm »
Interested, time permitting.

I'm also happy to help people punch up their writing if they want.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:04:38 pm »

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:08:09 pm »
Interested, time permitting.

I'm also happy to help people punch up their writing if they want.

EC, can you start a 'writing' topic like the photography topic?  With your background, Editor in Chief may be a good role. Or just proofer (proofer, not poofster). :)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »
I might be interested in covering some political events - but where I live is not a place of high interest to politicians.  Our primary is May and we get a little bump then.  I'll keep my eyes open for anything coming up. 

The Kim Davis/Gay Marriage License court hearing did happen at the Federal Courthouse in our city - so that would have been a good opportunity.  Sometimes things happen here. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 11:17:39 pm »
EC, can you start a 'writing' topic like the photography topic?  With your background, Editor in Chief may be a good role. Or just proofer (proofer, not poofster). :)

Topic is no problem at all. Think I have a couple of examples kicking around somewhere too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 11:33:43 pm »
I've contributed a few opinion pieces. As far as actual journalism goes, I'm pretty much limited to sports (which doesn't help much) and weather (which might). Like I said before, where I live is not a particularly high-profile place, although New York politics is something I know enough about to be a decent contributor (and with a certain presidential candidate hailing from New York it is relevant as of late).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 11:48:37 pm »
I've contributed a few opinion pieces. As far as actual journalism goes, I'm pretty much limited to sports (which doesn't help much) and weather (which might). Like I said before, where I live is not a particularly high-profile place, although New York politics is something I know enough about to be a decent contributor (and with a certain presidential candidate hailing from New York it is relevant as of late).

Opinion pieces are right in line with what we are looking for too.

One of the keys is we want to be not just another forum that talks about the news, but one whose members provide their own, unique and exclusive content and views.  Even with all our differences, we have a very strong mind share here. Instead of just posting a news article and giving your opinion, we want your opinion and views to be what is the top of the fold.

Everyone, no matter if they are in a small town or in the heart of NYC or DC can contribute.  Heck, for those in small towns, you may be able to report stories that will never see the light of day. My Congressman, Louie Gohmert doesn't represent Dallas or Houston but the small towns of Longview & Tyler, yet he is one of the most recognized Congressmen in the country. You don't often see on national news, what he covers locally. That is a story too.

Think about stories of national interest that impact locally, like the oilfield crash, housing markets, etc. How does what happens in DC impact the little guy.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:31:01 am »
Hmmm. I might be interested.
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 05:32:15 pm »
Well, I am halfway considering a blm event in my town - Johnson City, TN. My camera is not  all that great and the only vid editor I have is Movie Maker.

But, location from my house is two miles, there's plenty of parking, and local law has promised a robust presence.

It's pretty galling - they are targeting Chik Fil A

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Local/2016/07/15/Black-Lives-Matter-plan-rally-for-July-16-at-corner-of-Market-and-State-of-Franklin.html?ci=stream&lp=5&p=1

Looks as if the CFA ref was edited from an earlier version I read

https://www.facebook.com/tricitiesblacklivesmatter/

@AbaraXas

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »
Well, I am halfway considering a blm event in my town - Johnson City, TN. My camera is not  all that great and the only vid editor I have is Movie Maker.

But, location from my house is two miles, there's plenty of parking, and local law has promised a robust presence.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Local/2016/07/15/Black-Lives-Matter-plan-rally-for-July-16-at-corner-of-Market-and-State-of-Franklin.html?ci=stream&lp=5&p=1

@AbaraXas

Why on earth are they targeting Chik fil A?  What's that got to do with black lives? 

They're advertising that they are out in the open leftists and don't care that we see it, because we won't call 'em on it.   

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 05:45:17 pm »
Why on earth are they targeting Chik fil A?  What's that got to do with black lives? 

They're advertising that they are out in the open leftists and don't care that we see it, because we won't call 'em on it.

Evidently CFA was associated with a "blue lives matter" movement.

edit - maybe the brainiacs bit on

http://www.snopes.com/chick-fil-a-just-dropped-a-bomb-on-black-lives-matter/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:49:14 pm by don-o »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 11:54:49 pm »

@AbaraXas

Please do!!!

Any video assistance, you could talk to @massadvj

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 12:40:48 pm »
Count me in! I live in the Ohio Valley, about 45 minutes from both downtown Pittsburgh and Wheeling, WV (opposite directions of course). I can also edit content. Let me know. I LOVE this idea, btw. Would never happen where I came from.
I stand with Roosgirl.