Author Topic: What is GOPBR Media?  (Read 41639 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What is GOPBR Media?
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »
I bet you are wondering what this is. The GOPBR Media Room is the beginning of something new, GOPBR exclusive reporting and opportunities for key members to become part of the media. Don't just share stories others have written but get in the action covering events yourself. This kick off topic will provide instructions, hints, education, and discussion on this new, exciting project. 

To kick this off I'm going to start posting educational material and topics such as writing, getting into events, photography, etc.

Offline flowers

Re: What is GOPBR Media?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:07 pm »
 :th_10444:

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:29 pm »
A question I'm sure I'll be asked, who can say they are a reporter? What are the guidelines?  It really isn't a complicated answer if you are in the United States (but especially so in this day of alternate media).

The First Amendment protects all citizen's voices and according to the US Supreme Court (reinforcing what the Constitution says), the government can't restrict definitions of who is the media. All citizens have the right to speak about events they view or give their opinion on topics (with rare exceptions such as being under a non-disclosure agreement or speaking on behalf of another entity).

There is a difference though in being a recognized reporter or media professional (even freelance) and just average Joe citizen talking about something. That generally is simply an association with a group or outlet who publishes what you write.

That's where the GOPBR Media may come into play.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:48:00 pm »
This is great!

I look forward to reading your advice/information.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:48:18 pm »
As much as I'd like to help, I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »
From the back in the day Files.... I remember The very 1st Official Press Pass I was issued as an aspiring Photo Journalist.  I used it to gain access to different events I was covering. One peculiar thing that I couldn't figure out was why everyone was calling me "Jimmy" after they would hand the pass back.  After one guy said; "Say Hi to Clark Kent for Me" I pulled it out and looked at it closely: 

This is to certify that Jimmy Olsen is a Member of the Media.
Representing the ............

Sumbitch editor got my young ass good!

Back on point.  Sounds like a great thing.  Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:50:30 pm by Wingnut »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:54:49 pm »
Depending on the scheduling of events, I may be interested in covering some political events in Central Florida during this campaign season.  Some opinion/editorial pieces as well, as time permits.

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:14 pm »
From the back in the day Files.... I remember The very 1st Official Press Pass I was issued as an aspiring Photo Journalist.  I used it to gain access to different events I was covering. One peculiar thing I couldn't figure out was why everyone was calling me "Jimmy" after they would hand it back.  After one guy said; "Say Hi to Clark Kent for Me" I pulled it out and looked at it closely: 

This is to certify that Jimmy Olsen is a Member of the Media.
Representing the ............

Sumbitch editor got my young ass good!

Back on point.  Sounds like a great thing.  Good luck to you.

I still have one of my first ones, RNC 2008 Photographer. (just freelance ever since, day job is a designer for a large company so I don't get to play media photographer too often- it wouldn't pay the bills).

image uploader

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:04 pm »
I still have one of my first ones, RNC 2008 Photographer. (just freelance ever since, day job is a designer for a large company so I don't get to play media photographer too often- it wouldn't pay the bills).

image uploader

That is cool.  I wish I still had mine.  :(  BUT.. I still have a copy of the paper with my 1st published photo though.  I was so proud.  Had my name under it and everything.  "Staff Photo"

Staff Photo?  geez. 8888crybaby

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 10:06:52 pm »
That is cool.  I wish I still had mine.  :(  BUT.. I still have a copy of the paper with my 1st published photo though.  I was so proud.  Had my name under it and everything.  "Staff Photo"

Staff Photo?  geez. 8888crybaby

The joy of being staff versus freelance. :)

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 03:16:12 am »
Everyone should have noticed "Above the Fold". This is a small step towards our transformation to be user-centric. We want to highlight YOU. Our members are our greatest minds.  We are still working on formatting the top header and improving the site but as you contribute original content, we are going to make sure that content is put front and center as well as shared among as many platforms as we can.

As a placeholder, I dropped in a couple of original articles by members in the top. Please keep writing and message me when you have a new article and I'll highlight it on top until we can get all this more automated.

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 03:33:44 pm »
Bumping for new members. This is part of our long term business plan- to create exclusive content and have members who are actual field reporters in their area, as well as commentators, editors, photojournalists, etc.

We want to be a source of content, not just a place to talk about other venue's content.

Many more exciting things to come.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:54 pm »
I am planning on going to the Texas Republican convention?  Is that the sort of thing you are interested in?

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 03:47:51 pm »
I am planning on going to the Texas Republican convention?  Is that the sort of thing you are interested in?

Oh hell ya!  Live reporting, photos (being a freelance photojournalist I'm big on that), editorials, whatever.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »
Oh hell ya!  Live reporting, photos (being a freelance photojournalist I'm big on that), editorials, whatever.

Yes, it should be an exciting one.  I'm happy to post first-person accounts.

Offline ABX

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 03:55:39 pm »
Yes, it should be an exciting one.  I'm happy to post first-person accounts.

Let me know and I can bump it to the top. Maybe we can set up some live reporting via iPhone or something of the sort?

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 05:37:52 pm »

You going to "Open Carry"  :)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:23 pm »
You going to "Open Carry"  :)

No.  Not an open carry fan.  I like to keep 'em guessing.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »
bookmark
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 05:55:07 pm »
No.  Not an open carry fan.  I like to keep 'em guessing.

You are a smart women! 

geronl

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »
Let me know and I can bump it to the top. Maybe we can set up some live reporting via iPhone or something of the sort?

@AbaraXas For those not wanting to go live on Google Hangouts or Youtube there is a newer one called blab.im ->  I just watched a book chat between 3 science fiction authors and it was smooth. I was able to login and ask a couple of questions too.

https://blab.im/

Offline ABX

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 08:35:34 pm »
@AbaraXas For those not wanting to go live on Google Hangouts or Youtube there is a newer one called blab.im ->  I just watched a book chat between 3 science fiction authors and it was smooth. I was able to login and ask a couple of questions too.

Sweet, thanks. It would be good to have a video media offering. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 08:38:53 pm »

That looks real interesting geronl
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 09:01:26 pm »
Looking at that, I may be able to imbed the stream in a thread so someone can watch a live stream within the thread versus clicking out.

geronl

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 09:09:33 pm »
Looking at that, I may be able to imbed the stream in a thread so someone can watch a live stream within the thread versus clicking out.

That would be interesting. I guess can you can do that with Youtube live-casts. (I'm assuming)