Author Topic: 5 Reasons Ted Cruz Is Even More Dangerous Than Donald Trump  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: 5 Reasons Ted Cruz Is Even More Dangerous Than Donald Trump
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:09 pm »
The Constitution is not adhered to now.  I see no reason to believe that in the future it will be less fungible than it is even today.  Balance of powers?  Where does that occur? We have a Republican Congress that is for all intents and purposes meaningless.  Witness the last omnibus budget.  With Trump, you will get someone that will at least shake up the power structure.  I'm willing to take that risk because there isn't another who is bold enough to actually have a shot at success...and by success I don't mean just getting elected.

Well, there is no way I'm taking the existential risk represented by Donald Trump.  I'm not that angry,  I'm not that irrational, I'm not that much of a nihilist.  I'm just a main street conservative who thinks a lot of what ails us could be fixed by a return to robust economic growth.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:48 pm »
Endlessly debating the definition of conservatism, and who is or is not a conservative, is pointless for the most part.

In the general elections there are usually two choices. Democrat or Republican. The Republican is usually the MORE conservative choice.

If the electorate is not conservative ENOUGH to chose conservatives, more emphasis should be placed on educating them and convincing them, and less effort on debating how many conservatives can dance on the head of a pin.

And what kind of costumes they must wear, to be authentic genuine conservatives. And for so called conservatives to regularly and predictably turn on their own, like fickle little school girls.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »

Huh?  Because he doesn't even make a pretense of being honest?  You know as well as I that the positions he espouses today are diametrically opposite to what he's advocated in the past.   How does that pass the smell test for "honesty"?   He's honest because he admits he'll say whatever his followers want him to say?   

I know I can't change your mind, but I'm sure you can see why so many of us believe Trump to be profoundly dangerous.

The positions I espouse today are dramatically different than those I took when I supported Mitt Romney four years ago.  I can certainly understand your position and respect it.  You believe there is still a chance for conservatism.  I would like that to be true, but I believe it is a dead ideology in the West.  You see something different when you look at America - something redeemable.  I believe it is far too gone to be redeemed and the best we can hope for is security to some extent for as long as possible.  I believe the risks are far worth taking because any manner of continuing along in the way we have - even just slowing it down - is futile at this point.  Any president not willing to be a wrecking ball will be chewed up and destroyed (like Bush was) by the multicultural left.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »
Well, there is no way I'm taking the existential risk represented by Donald Trump.  I'm not that angry,  I'm not that irrational, I'm not that much of a nihilist.  I'm just a main street conservative who thinks a lot of what ails us could be fixed by a return to robust economic growth.

If you are a main street conservative, you are an anachronism in America today.  And you will be marginalized even further each year that goes by.

...Bob Dylan

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:22 pm »

And you don't believe that, among the field of candidates, he's the most qualified?

Did I miss somebody?

Who else turned $1 Million into $10 Billion?   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 08:10:05 pm »
And you don't believe that, among the field of candidates, he's the most qualified?

Did I miss somebody?

Who else turned $1 Million into $10 Billion?   :whistle:

I think he's a flippin' travesty who would make us an international laughingstock.  I think his egotism and temper would likely cause a future war. 

Although the simple truth is he'll never have the opportunity to be President.   The man is despised by a majority of Americans.   What he will do, if he's the nominee, is cleave the Republican party and give total control to the Dems.  Don't be so foolish as to be mesmerized by this man.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:34 pm »
If you are a main street conservative, you are an anachronism in America today.  And you will be marginalized even further each year that goes by.

But at least I have self-respect.   I'll keep that rather than succumb to a cult of personality.   

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »
What he will do, if he's the nominee, is cleave the Republican party and give total control to the Dems.

Take a look at that Omnibus Appropriations Act.  They have total control right now, Paul Ryan joined with a majority of Democrats to pass it.  Harry Reid or Mitch McConnell?  Any different outcome there?  They don't even need majorities to control the narrative.  Even the Republicans don't buy into Republican politics.

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:32 pm »
The Constitution is not adhered to now.  I see no reason to believe that in the future it will be less fungible than it is even today.

And that is where you and I disagree! I that if this nation is to survive at all it is VITAL to begin the process of changing that and Donald Trump won't even try much less do it!

Balance of powers?  Where does that occur? We have a Republican Congress that is for all intents and purposes meaningless.  Witness the last omnibus budget.  With Trump, you will get someone that will at least shake up the power structure.  I'm willing to take that risk because there isn't another who is bold enough to actually have a shot at success...and by success I don't mean just getting elected.

What in the HELL do you think we are so damned pissed off about if it isn't that?  Do you HONESTLY believe Donald Trump will even TRY to do anything about that?  I sure don't!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »
And that is where you and I disagree! I that if this nation is to survive at all it is VITAL to begin the process of changing that and Donald Trump won't even try much less do it!

What in the HELL do you think we are so damned pissed off about if it isn't that?  Do you HONESTLY believe Donald Trump will even TRY to do anything about that?  I sure don't!

In that his election would be a total repudiation of American politics as practiced today, yes I honestly believe that Trump will try to change that equation.

As for the Constitution, I fear the final blade was wielded by John Roberts.  The multiculturalists will bury the ancient-white-European's Constitution.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:27:22 pm by Scottftlc »

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 08:38:47 pm »
In that his election would be a total repudiation of American politics as practiced today, yes I honestly believe that Trump will try to change that equation.

As for the Constitution, I fear the final blade was wielded by John Roberts.  The multiculturalists will bury the ancient-white-European's Constitution.

Alright. I know where you stand now.

I'm not yet ready to give up on America.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
Alright. I know where you stand now.

I'm not yet ready to give up on America.

I will be ready to give up if America elects any Democrat OR Donald Trump (redundant, I know......)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

HonestJohn

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 11:51:52 pm »
Personally I'm up to here with this electability crap. We've heard it every election for fourty years and it's still BS! The evidence is abundantly clear by now that the ONLY time we win is when we nominate a CONSERVATIVE!!!

I'd remind people that Reagan wasn't just a conservative.  He had a very positive message about America's future.

I don't think a conservative with a negative message can win, no matter how conservative.

Rubio has the brightest message out of our crop.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:52:18 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 03:31:53 am »
I'd remind people that Reagan wasn't just a conservative.  He had a very positive message about America's future.

I don't think a conservative with a negative message can win, no matter how conservative.

I agree.   Bush, too, famously projected himself as a "compassionate conservative".  Before that,  folks like Jack Kemp applied conservative concepts to the abatement of poverty,  or the encouragement of enterprise in poorer communities.   Bush helped carve a role for partnership with religious organizations with educational or mercy missions.

Back in the day conservative thinkers advocated competition with public education,  the reform of welfare,  and the use of private insurance to address the access crisis with respect to healthcare financing.  Romneycare was the product of conservative policy thinking.   

The TEA party changed the focus of conservatism from encouraging enterprise and growth to reducing the size of government.  That may be laudable, but it's a hard sell politically.  But Trump bears no relation to the TEA party.  Trump's promoting an activist "conservatism" (I'd say proto-fascism);  he certainly has no intention to reduce the size and role of the Federal government.   

But Trump is pushing a negative activist "conservatism",  as compared with the positive activism of Reagan, Bush and Kemp.  He's going to kick people out,  he's going to stop the brown invasion.   (Of course,  a lot of considered folks think that crap's an affront to values that include, among other things, conservatism,  but that's why the GOP is cracking up (or, I'd argue, being hijacked.)   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:37:08 am by Jazzhead »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 02:31:58 pm »
Congratualtions to Ted Cruz on his Iowa victory.

And kudos to Donald Trump for a gracious speech in defeat.

I realize that Santorum won Iowa in 2012.  And Huckabee, I believe, in 2008.    :whistle:

But, unlike self-declared others here, have no problem voting 'Republican' in November, no matter who the Candidate will be. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 03:29:26 pm »

Rubio has the brightest message out of our crop.

I hate to break this to you but there are many millions of us who see the Cruz message as the most positive thing we've seen in about 40 years!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

HonestJohn

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »
I hate to break this to you but there are many millions of us who see the Cruz message as the most positive thing we've seen in about 40 years!

What are his positive message points?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:28 pm »
What are his positive message points?

To numerous to list!  The fact that you can't hear them is telling!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 07:01:28 pm »
Any president not willing to be a wrecking ball will be chewed up and destroyed (like Bush was) by the multicultural left.

I agree with this.  But I would take it further.  Any president who does not know what the hell to do from moment one in the oval office will be chewed up and destroyed by all sides--and deservedly so.   

I want someone who has lived and produced tangible results in the private sector economy. I want someone who understands more than talking points about how the global economy works and what it is we need to stay one step ahead of.  I want someone with the guts to act on promises that are un-politically correct and yet best for the security of this nation.  I want someone in the oval office who will act for the good of the US as though he has nothing to lose.

We're debating conservative ideology as though we have the luxury.  We do not.  We need action.  We need a plan.  We do not need more Rush Limbaugh's, Mark Levin's and well-meaning bloggers marching Republicans straight into another brick wall. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 07:31:38 pm »
I agree with this.  But I would take it further.  Any president who does not know what the hell to do from moment one in the oval office will be chewed up and destroyed by all sides--and deservedly so.   

I want someone who has lived and produced tangible results in the private sector economy. I want someone who understands more than talking points about how the global economy works and what it is we need to stay one step ahead of.  I want someone with the guts to act on promises that are un-politically correct and yet best for the security of this nation.  I want someone in the oval office who will act for the good of the US as though he has nothing to lose.

We're debating conservative ideology as though we have the luxury.  We do not.  We need action.  We need a plan.  We do not need more Rush Limbaugh's, Mark Levin's and well-meaning bloggers marching Republicans straight into another brick wall.

goopo

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 08:49:56 pm »
You know as well as I that the positions he espouses today are diametrically opposite to what he's advocated in the past.   How does that pass the smell test for "honesty"?

You didn't get the memo? How change in positions is taken depends upon whom someone supports. To a Trump supporter, for example, The Donald's moving away from his past positions, whatever they might have been, means he's "grown" or "adjusted according to the facts" or however they wish to phrase it, and everyone else who's moved away from past positions---regardless of the actual reason for doing so (people have been known to change their positions based on reasonable factual presentation)---is one or another kind of flip-flopper, however they choose to describe it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:51:22 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.