Author Topic: Bill Maher: I Wish Liberals Would Have Same Intolerance For Muslims That They Do For Christians  (Read 1536 times)

rangerrebew

Back to Videos
Bill Maher: I Wish Liberals Would Have Same Intolerance For Muslims That They Do For Christians

Posted on January 30, 2016

On the Friday broadcast of his HBO show Real Time, Bill Maher told liberals see the world the way they want it rather than the way it is when it comes to the threat of Islam and Islamic terror. Maher, a religious critic, told his fellow liberals he wishes they would have the same "intolerance" for Muslim-related terror around the world that they do for Christians and Christian fundamentalists at home.

Maher brought up the decision by the Italians to cover up nude statues during a state visit by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.

"This is the horribleness of what's going on in Rome. Oh my God, naked titties and tiny penises!" Maher joked.

"I think people are mixing up two things: tolerance and capitulation," the HBO host observed. "It's one thing to be tolerant of another culture, but this is out culture, you know? Christianity had a problem with titties, in like 1300. We got over it. So we shouldn't change our culture to a more backward culture, should we."

Radio talk show host Thom Hartmann, the number one liberal talker in the nation, chimed in to say this is not a Muslim problem, but a "fundamentalist problem." Hartmann also made a reference to former Attorney John Ashcroft covering up a nude statue at the Department of Justice doing his tenure. Maher stopped him right there.

"Except when it happened in this country, the liberals laughed at him and they opposed him," Maher told Hartmann. "I wish they would have the same enthusiasm for intolerance elsewhere in the world as they do for Christians here at home who really aren't a problem because they don't really get their way. It's laughable."

Maher said liberals see the world the way they want it to be rather than the way it is.

"Liberals have to stop insisting that the world is the way they want it to be instead of the way it is," Maher said.

"After the San Bernardino attacks... I heard all over the TV, everybody was saying, 'If only Americans knew more about Islam they wouldn't be so afraid.' Actually, it's the reverse," Maher said.

Transcript below.

BILL MAHER: I mentioned this in the monologue, the covering up of the statues in Rome.

[photo of nude Roman antiquities being covered up in anticipating from an Iranian visit]

This is the horribleness of what's going on in Rome. Oh my God, naked titties and tiny penises! This is what they did.

I think people are mixing up two things: tolerance and capitulation.

It's one thing to be tolerant of another culture, but this is out culture, you know? Christianity had a problem with titties, in like 1300. We got over it. So we shouldn't change our culture to a more backward culture, should we?...

THOM HARTMANN, LIBERAL RADIO TALK SHOW HOST: Ask John Ashcroft. This is not a Muslim problem, it is a fundamentalist problem. John Ashcroft is a fundamentalist Christian.

MAHER: You know what? Except when it happened in this country, the liberals laughed at him. And they opposed him. I wish they would have the same enthusiasm for intolerance elsewhere in the world as they do for Christians here at home who really aren't a problem because they don't really get their way. It's laughable.

HARTMANN: Except that he covered that for four years...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/01/30/bill_maher_liberals_would_have_same_intolerance_for_muslims_christians_at_home.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:43:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Well.....I've either slipped into a parallel universe or some part of hell is freezing over because -

- I COMPLETELY agree with Bill Maher!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Well.....I've either slipped into a parallel universe or some part of hell is freezing over because -

I know how you feel. Jews are weird that way. They are very slow to catch on to reality. But when they do, significant things happen.

If Maher can be viewed as a sign of American Jewish thinking, then it would seem that they have finally woken up to face real reality.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. But it would seem that the insanity of Liberal America has awakened a sleeping giant. IMO
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline katzenjammer

Yes, Maher has been catching on to this for awhile now.  And to his credit, he seems like an honest broker on this front.

Wingnut

Yes, Maher has been catching on to this for awhile now.  And to his credit, he seems like an honest broker on this front.

He has his mind right on this one and he has been slapping his liberal quests upside their heads for sometime now.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
How about atheists, Mr. Maher?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I know how you feel. Jews are weird that way. They are very slow to catch on to reality. But when they do, significant things happen.

If Maher can be viewed as a sign of American Jewish thinking, then it would seem that they have finally woken up to face real reality.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. But it would seem that the insanity of Liberal America has awakened a sleeping giant. IMO

That brings up an interesting line of thought - Maher is an atheist.  Is it really possible to be a Jew and an atheist?  I know, the simple answer would be "of course it is", but given what Judaism entails, and why Jews are separate from their fellow semitic peoples (hint: G_d) wouldn't you give up your "Jew card" if you give up your God?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That brings up an interesting line of thought - Maher is an atheist.  Is it really possible to be a Jew and an atheist?  I know, the simple answer would be "of course it is", but given what Judaism entails, and why Jews are separate from their fellow semitic peoples (hint: G_d) wouldn't you give up your "Jew card" if you give up your God?
In theory, yes. But realize that Judaism is not just a religion, it is an ethnicity. You can be half-Jewish, quarter-Jewish, etc. The Jewish belief that they are God's chosen people comes not from their belief in and obedience to God, but in modern times from their birth and lineage. In essence, it's a form of racism. That's why you will often see Jewish people, especially today, have such disregard for God's teachings. From what I understand, converting to Judaism isn't like it is for Christianity (where a confession of sin and assertion of faith is all it takes).

(Disclaimer: I know there is at least one Jew on this board. Please do not assume what I speak of applies to all Jews.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
When you are a Jew, it is a one way door. If you are born into it or choose it, that does not matter. Once you walk through the door, there is no way back.

So, the question becomes, can a Jew ever not be a Jew? What if he converts to Christianity? What if he becomes the Pope? Would he still be a Jew?

The honest answer is, Yes.

I asked a Rabbi once, How can a Jew not be a Jew. I quoted, at the time Esau. I said Esua sold his birthright. He went North.

The Rabbi just shook his head slowly. He looked down, not into my eyes. I was yelling, What about Esau?

He said nothing.

I said, Still Jewish?

He nodded. Yes.

A Jew is a Jew is a Jew. There is no escape from it. Once you walk through that door, there is no way back.

You can be a Christan Jew.
You can be a Buddhist Jew.
You can be a Mormon Jew.

But what you will always be is a Jew. And there is no backsies. It does not work that way.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Bill has become the rarest of birds - a consistent liberal. I may disagree with him on many things, but I can at least respect him for applying to the goose and gander both.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Here's the money quote:

I think people are mixing up two things: tolerance and capitulation.