Author Topic: I just binge-read eight books by Donald Trump. Here's what I learned. From memoirs to financial advice to politics, inside the collected writings of Donald J. Trump.  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Carlos Lozada
The Washington Post
July 30, 2015

Sitting down with the collected works of Donald J. Trump is unlike any literary experience I've ever had or could ever imagine. I spent this past week reading eight of his books -- three memoirs, three business-advice titles and his two political books, all published between 1987 and 2011 -- hoping to develop a unified theory of the man, or at least find a method in the Trumpness.

Instead, I found . . . well, is there a single word that combines revulsion, amusement, respect and confusion? That is how it feels, sometimes by turns, often all at once, to binge on Trump's writings. Over the course of 2,212 pages, I encountered a world where bragging is breathing and insulting is talking, where repetition and contradiction come standard, where vengefulness and insecurity erupt at random.

Elsewhere, such qualities might get in the way of the story. With Trump, they are the story. There is little else. He writes about his real estate dealings, his television show, his country, but after a while that all feels like an excuse. The one deal Trump has been pitching his entire career -- the one that now culminates in his play for that most coveted piece of property, at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. -- is himself.

More
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:40:52 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Not much new here.  It wasn't a complete hatchet job.  I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking Trump is shallow because he writes and talks shallow.  But I believe him to be quite a clever man.  He knows that the best way to get through to the masses is to go for the lowest common denominator, and it has worked very well for him.  But his business dealings and relationships indicate that he can master complexity and steer big ships, so from that standpoint he may well be an effective president.

My worry is that he will be effective in implementing a lot of things I won't like, such as carte blanche imminent domain for the federal government, new trade barriers with our most critical trade partners, single-payer health care, and who knows what else.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not much new here.  It wasn't a complete hatchet job.  I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking Trump is shallow because he writes and talks shallow.  But I believe him to be quite a clever man.  He knows that the best way to get through to the masses is to go for the lowest common denominator, and it has worked very well for him.  But his business dealings and relationships indicate that he can master complexity and steer big ships, so from that standpoint he may well be an effective president.

My worry is that he will be effective in implementing a lot of things I won't like, such as carte blanche imminent domain for the federal government, new trade barriers with our most critical trade partners, single-payer health care, and who knows what else.

EXACTLY!!! And who knows who he might pick to fill vacancies on SCOTUS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
...  But his business dealings and relationships indicate that he can master complexity and steer big ships, so from that standpoint he may well be an effective president.

I think it is more of a case that he grew up in a world of complex wealth,and has understood since he was a young boy that to be in the investment business and stay out of trouble,you MUST hire the best tax lawyers and corporate lawyers that you can afford because it is such a complex world that no one man can be a master of it all. No one man can even keep up with the tax laws,never mind zoning laws,partnership laws,environmental laws,housing laws,city,state,and federal laws,etc,etc,etc.

I think a lot of small businessmen stay small businessmen or lose their businesses because they try to do it all themselves instead of hiring professional help for the paperwork and accounting.  Even if you can do it yourself,you just don't have the time to keep up on changes in the law or new laws because you have customers to deal with,contracts to bid on,inventory to control,helpers to train,etc,etc,etc

I join you in your concerns. IMHO,Trump doesn't give a damn about anything other than "What is best for ME?"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

People he thinks will give him special breaks. With Trump,it is all about "Me,ME,ME,DAMMIT!"

He makes Bill Clinton look modest and retiring by comparison.  Hell,he makes Bathhouse Barry look modest by comparison.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't know why. I have no rational explanation for how I feel.

But, just as an input into the very well reasoned thread, I have to say that I do not fear him. While I understand what you have all so very eloquently explained. I simply cannot fear Trump. I don't have that, that, thing. Whatever it is.

I am able to separate Trump the businessman, from Trump the statesman. I may be a fool. But I do believe that Trump is a very sincere patriot, and loves the American nation.

Whatever he may have done in business, I am not sure that will translate to what he will do as President. It is a feeling. Does anyone think Trump would allow the V.A. or the IRS to get away with all the crap they do everyday? No. I think he would put a stop to it his first month in office. I don't know.

Trump is a risk. I know that. But it is a risk I am willing to take. The risk, is better than any of the alternatives. IMO
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:59:05 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

But, just as an input into the very well reasoned thread, I have to say that I do not fear him. While I understand what you have all so very eloquently explained. I simply cannot fear Trump. I don't have that, that, thing. Whatever it is.

I am able to separate Trump the businessman, from Trump the statesman. I may be a fool. But I do believe that Trump is a very sincere patriot, and loves the American nation.

Whatever he may have done in business, I am not sure that will translate to what he will do as President. It is a feeling. Does anyone think Trump would allow the V.A. or the IRS to get away with all the crap they do everyday? No. I think he would put a stop to it his first month in office. I don't know.

Trump is a risk. I know that. But it is a risk I am willing to take. The risk, is better than any of the alternatives. IMO

Well,that's why we elect people instead of crown them. We all have our opinions and priorities. If you can truthfully say you trust him,you have valid grounds for defending him. I disagree,but that's life.

The people I have problems with are the cheerleaders who seem to think he is the Second Coming of Christ,and it is impossible to even suspect he might not be perfect in every way.

I also have a slight problem with the "lesser of two evils" people because if you think both candidates are evil,why the HELL are you voting for either one of them? You are KNOWINGLY voting for someone you don't even want to see in public office or trust to me in public office because you THINK someone else might be slightly worse. These people need to wake up and realize that as long as we keep voting for evil,every candidate presented to us will be evil. It's a closed loop.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

This is the biggest consideration of all, I think, particularly when there is an alternative in the race (Cruz) whose track record is such that there is no doubt his appointments will be rock, solid originalists.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This is the biggest consideration of all, I think, particularly when there is an alternative in the race (Cruz) whose track record is such that there is no doubt his appointments will be rock, solid originalists.

I couldn't agree more Victor! That is my position in a nutshell!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I couldn't agree more Victor! That is my position in a nutshell!

It is also a major reason I am leaning towards backing Cruz. I'm not locked in on him yet,but at this point I honestly can't see me voting for any of the others.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

If you truly trust Donald Trump  enough to allow him to name the next two or three Supreme Court Justices then please do what you have to do. 

I've said this before here but should he become president and does the kind of job you seem to think he will I will be the first one to say that you were right and I was wrong.

In the meantime I will continue to do my best to try and make sure we never find out which of us was right.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If you truly trust Donald Trump  enough to allow him to name the next two or three Supreme Court Justices then please do what you have to do. 

I've said this before here but should he become president and does the kind of job you seem to think he will I will be the first one to say that you were right and I was wrong.

In the meantime I will continue to do my best to try and make sure we never find out which of us was right.

"Which one of us was right"

It is all a gamble. Whom do you trust? That is what it is all about.

Vote for Cruz   = Trust
Vote for Trump = Trust

All I can say is that for all his faults, and there are many, Trump has done everything he can possibly do to show that he is America first. Even his jabs at Cruz are intended to get Cruz to get a formal ruling on his status to rum.

They are both great guys. And one of them will win. In that case, we cannot lose.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"Which one of us was right"

It is all a gamble. Whom do you trust? That is what it is all about.

Vote for Cruz   = Trust
Vote for Trump = Trust

All I can say is that for all his faults, and there are many, Trump has done everything he can possibly do to show that he is America first. Even his jabs at Cruz are intended to get Cruz to get a formal ruling on his status to rum.

They are both great guys. And one of them will win. In that case, we cannot lose.

I pray that you are right!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

You've captured some of my thoughts on Trump, especially that last line.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Very interesting, 240B.

One thing that leaps out at me is, that you are trusting Trump to not do what he has done his whole life and been successful with.  It would be very unusual for a person to do.  How does one abandon what they have learned and worked with all of their live and become something else? 

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Very interesting, 240B.

One thing that leaps out at me is, that you are trusting Trump to not do what he has done his whole life and been successful with.  It would be very unusual for a person to do.  How does one abandon what they have learned and worked with all of their live and become something else?

Something else? Something other than what? My good gracious, Trump is the deal making person, the builder, the entrepreneur, the symbol of America.

How can he become something that he is not? I do not know. And I hope he never finds out.