Author Topic: Ted Cruz Campaign Blindsided by Fox’s Gotcha Montage During Debate  (Read 4639 times)

HAPPY2BME

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)’s communications director, Rick Tyler, joined Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon Friday on Breitbart News Daily.

They recapped last night’s national debate, discussing how Fox News tried to paint Cruz as pro-amnesty, and also highlighted that Cruz is challenging Trump to a one-on-one final debate Saturday night in Iowa, before Monday’s caucuses.

Fox News surprised many viewers—and angered many conservatives—by running a campaign-style video going after Cruz on immigration, suggesting that in 2013 both Cruz and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) equally supported amnesty for illegal aliens.

The video quoted Cruz as saying that he was looking for middle ground to help the Senate’s Gang of Eight legislation to pass, as Cruz was attempting to insert amendments that would modify the bill. The original bill would have enabled at least 11 million illegal aliens to remain in the United States and pursue American citizenship. Rubio was one of the eight senators who crafted the legislation.

According to Tyler, Fox News took advantage of the fact that most voters are not familiar with how legislative battles work. Tyler pointed out that everyone in Washington, DC, at the time knew that Cruz was trying to insert “poison pill” amendments into the Gang of Eight legislation to kill the amnesty bill, such as inserting an amendment that would deny citizenship to the children of illegal aliens.

In fact, Cruz was working in concert with Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the foremost opponent of amnesty in the Senate. The Texas senator’s opposition to amnesty was so transparent that many on the Left accused Cruz—who is Hispanic—of being anti-Hispanic.

But Tyler’s primary focus in the interview was to broadcast Cruz’s challenging Trump to a debate tomorrow, to settle which candidate is truly the anti-establishment conservative candidate. The Cruz campaign has even launched a website daring the billionaire businessman to show the courage to confront Cruz, www.DuckingDonald.com.

“Everybody wants this match,” Tyler told Bannon. “We’ve reserved the venue for this Saturday in Iowa.”

Tyler also touted the huge team of volunteers supporting the senator in Iowa, a team knocking on over 2,000 doors per day and making 20,000 phone calls per day.

Going into Monday, Cruz will have visited all 99 counties in the Hawkeye State. But Cruz has set aside time to throw down with The Donald at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday in Iowa, if Trump is willing to face the fire about which candidate—Cruz or Trump—is the Establishment’s worst nightmare.

Ken Klukowski is legal editor for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter @kenklukowski.

Hear the interview:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/29/breitbart-news-daily-fox-attacks-cruz-cruz-challenges-trump-to-debate/

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Ted Cruz Campaign Blindsided by Fox’s Gotcha Montage During Debate
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:19:56 pm »

Fox News surprised many viewers—and angered many conservatives—by running a campaign-style video going after Cruz on immigration, suggesting that in 2013 both Cruz and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) equally supported amnesty for illegal aliens.

Looks like Trump was right again for skipping the turkey-shoot that Faux had planned...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »
Megyn Kelly ADMITS to Ted Cruz the record shows he DID NOT SUPPORT legalization in 2013 Amnesty showdown

http://therightscoop.com/megyn-kelly-admits-to-ted-cruz-the-record-shows-he-did-not-support-legalization-in-2013-amnesty-showdown/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:25:52 pm »
Looks like Trump was right again for skipping the turkey-shoot that Faux had planned...

=================================

It was a no-brainer.

Just like Megyn Kelly setting up Cruz to fail.  She already had the poison sitting in a cup with his name on it.

Any questions?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »
I think it's pretty clear that Cruz inadvertently stumbled into a Fox setup.  They had people sprinkled through the audience prepared to start booing if any of their moderators were "attacked." I suspect they set that up well in advance thinking Trump could be goaded but he didn't show and it was Cruz that took them on and got the set up booing instead.  They wanted to make the TV audience think their moderators had the support of the "impartial" audience.  And they ended up putting the gotcha on Cruz instead of Trump.  Doesn't matter to them, they want the establishment candidates.

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:49:09 pm »
Cruz was not damaged by the 'gotcha" questions. He got through them OK.  It was the two attempts of humor that were his low points of the night. The opening question when he could have responded intelligently  about Trumps absence, instead he tried to be funny and calls every one fat and stupid standing in for what Trump would say if he was there.    Then their was his other failed attempt at humor at Trumps expense by saying if he gets another  mean question he will leave the stage, and the petty spat he had with Megyn regarding the pervious line of questioning. That drew boos.

His less than stellar performance was not Megyn's fault or FOX news. I think even he would admit that.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:25:08 pm »
I think it's pretty clear that Cruz inadvertently stumbled into a Fox setup.  They had people sprinkled through the audience prepared to start booing if any of their moderators were "attacked." I suspect they set that up well in advance thinking Trump could be goaded but he didn't show and it was Cruz that took them on and got the set up booing instead.  They wanted to make the TV audience think their moderators had the support of the "impartial" audience.  And they ended up putting the gotcha on Cruz instead of Trump.  Doesn't matter to them, they want the establishment candidates.

Excellent summation... everything... absolutely everything in the media... is a lie in some form or other...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:39:20 pm »

Posted it earlier to another thread. CRUZ should have walked away like TRUMP and proved he was an outsider to the ESTABLISHMENT. Instead he wanted the spotlight and LOST. Dumb MOVE and if he had any street smarts he would have seen it coming. THE Media wants to be the stars and the candidates the victims. That way the media controls the settings and can pick their candidate of choice and that is the Rino RUBIO. Some have to just wake up!  The media picked MITTENS and Dole and McCain and they all had the same results LOSERS**nononono*

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
The media picked MITTENS and Dole and McCain and they all had the same results LOSERS**nononono*

Well... the media isn't smart enough to figure that out on their own...

Now those who own the media are a different story... and those who own them... and those who own them...

It's not 'turtles all the way down'... it's actually 'liars all the way up'...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:51:48 pm »
The media picked MITTENS and Dole and McCain and they all had the same results LOSERS**nononono*

NO they didn't! Republican primary voters did that! Until they learn to stop letting the media and the candidate(s) with the most money lead them down the path NOTHING much is going to change!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:16:42 pm »
NO they didn't! Republican primary voters did that! Until they learn to stop letting the media and the candidate(s) with the most money lead them down the path NOTHING much is going to change!

Trump supporters have stopped allowing the media to pick the Republican candidate!  And Trump supporters have a candidate with lots of his OWN money--making him beholden to no one!  Come on over to the light, Bigun!  (You know you want to!)   :smokin:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »
Trump supporters have stopped allowing the media to pick the Republican candidate!  And Trump supporters have a candidate with lots of his OWN money--making him beholden to no one!  Come on over to the light, Bigun!  (You know you want to!)   :smokin:

Sorry! No can do! Because I can't find a single shred of actual EVIDENCE that Trump will actually DO anything he has said he would do! :seeya:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 08:21:20 pm »
They had people sprinkled through the audience prepared to start booing if any of their moderators were "attacked."

==========================

Anybody from around here able to attend?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 08:23:00 pm »

============================================

Candidates with 'the most money?'

Golly gee.

WHO has spent the most money in this campaign?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »
Posted it earlier to another thread. CRUZ should have walked away like TRUMP and proved he was an outsider to the ESTABLISHMENT. Instead he wanted the spotlight and LOST. Dumb MOVE and if he had any street smarts he would have seen it coming. THE Media wants to be the stars and the candidates the victims. That way the media controls the settings and can pick their candidate of choice and that is the Rino RUBIO. Some have to just wake up!  The media picked MITTENS and Dole and McCain and they all had the same results LOSERS**nononono*

At least we agree it seemed like a setup.  But, by whom though?  My first inclination was Trump set him up. Cruz did articulate the crappy 'attack' questions provoking others to slam him in the beginning ... and threatened to walk off ... but he really couldn't.  He had conveyed the idea that he felt that Trump owed it to the American people to debate ...BUT I really thought for a moment he was going to.  Interestingly, he called the moderators out in a prior debate and ALL candidates sided with him ... but since the attacks were purely against him ... no one on the panel sided with him.  In that aspect, the party seemed more divided than ever.

As I previously posted in another thread ... the interview with Kelly and Cruz after the debate was interesting ; she admitted that Cruz wasn't pro amnesty and pro illegal immigration after he explained the clips ... then at the very end she congratulated him.  For what, I'm still trying to figure that one out.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »
Cruz was not damaged by the 'gotcha" questions. He got through them OK.  It was the two attempts of humor that were his low points of the night. The opening question when he could have responded intelligently  about Trumps absence, instead he tried to be funny and calls every one fat and stupid standing in for what Trump would say if he was there.    Then their was his other failed attempt at humor at Trumps expense by saying if he gets another  mean question he will leave the stage, and the petty spat he had with Megyn regarding the pervious line of questioning. That drew boos.

His less than stellar performance was not Megyn's fault or FOX news. I think even he would admit that.
Cruz is so highly intelligent that when he uses humor hardly anybody understands it.

Like his extreme views, his extreme intelligence is not an asset to him.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:33:40 pm »
Sorry! No can do! Because I can't find a single shred of actual EVIDENCE that Trump will actually DO anything he has said he would do! :seeya:

On my Bigun, what has this primary season done to you????  Of course there is evidence--tons of it.  But you must take off your blinders to it.

I'll keep you in my prayers!   ^-^

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:57 pm »
On my Bigun, what has this primary season done to you????  Of course there is evidence--tons of it.  But you must take off your blinders to it.

I'll keep you in my prayers!   ^-^

Thank you! One can never have to many prayers!  :seeya:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:43:10 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 10:38:55 pm »
Megyn Kelly ADMITS to Ted Cruz the record shows he DID NOT SUPPORT legalization in 2013 Amnesty showdown

http://therightscoop.com/megyn-kelly-admits-to-ted-cruz-the-record-shows-he-did-not-support-legalization-in-2013-amnesty-showdown/

In the interview after the debate last night she also agreed that Cruz's record shows that he did not support amnesty or legalization. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 11:12:52 pm »
It was a no-brainer.

Just like Megyn Kelly setting up Cruz to fail.  She already had the poison sitting in a cup with his name on it.

Any questions?

Indeed... seems that The Donald has a very good sense of who a person really is...

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »
Indeed... seems that The Donald has a very good sense of who a person really is...

When I feel like wearing a little tin foil, I even sit here and wonder if someone within Fox tipped Trump off as to what was coming, and Trump found a solid excuse (in those little nasty memos from Ailes) to get out and leave them having to restrategize on the fly...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:30 pm »
his extreme intelligence is not an asset to him.

Yes yes, he's such a failure in life.  Wow has that intelligence hindered his life or what!

Good grief.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:50 pm »
When I feel like wearing a little tin foil, I even sit here and wonder if someone within Fox tipped Trump off as to what was coming, and Trump found a solid excuse (in those little nasty memos from Ailes) to get out and leave them having to restrategize on the fly...

I've wondered about that myself at times...  but in this case, he didn't need an insider, the plans were all over the media a couple of days before, including on FNC programs and their Twitter accounts.  All he had to do was have someone on the staff paying attention! 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:57 pm »
Yes yes, he's such a failure in life.  Wow has that intelligence hindered his life or what!

Good grief.

I understand ts' point. I said it in a slightly different way, but it's basically the same point.

Cruz is brilliant. But he uses an intellectual hook when he's making a campaign pitch, usually with too many sentences and paragraphs thrown in, rather than using an emotional pitch.

He's not going to capture the vast middle of the electorate using logic and reasoning. He's got to use an emotional hook. But he's so intelligent that when he tries to relate to the common man he kind of looks foolish.

I know a lot of people who just can't warm-up to him.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 12:13:29 am »

True. He knew it was going to be a 'final crucifixion' by Kelly against her number one nemesis. He said, 'No Thanks'.

He was right. When the moderator is able to control the attack, and then is able to control your ability to respond, then there is no chance of success.

Megyn is a beautiful dream girl, but I could never be her husband. She has an aurora not unlike that of Hillary. She has a vicious nature, and you can see it.

I wonder, not joking, if she started throwing ashtrays when her prize trophy told her to go to hell.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:13:49 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.