Author Topic: Byron York: GOP keeps door open for Trump to change mind; Trump says no  (Read 670 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gop-keeps-debate-door-open-for-trump-trump-says-no/article/2581670

DES MOINES, Iowa — It's fair to say the Republican Party was stunned by Donald Trump's decision to boycott tonight's GOP presidential debate here in Des Moines. But because they were so surprised — never saw it coming — they realize they could be surprised again, and so are keeping the door open for Trump to change his mind and take part in the debate.

Even after a full day to think about it, and even after Trump announced the "special event" to honor America's veterans he will hold the same time as tonight's debate — 8:00 p.m. Central Time, Sheslow Auditorium at Drake University —even after all that, party officials still want to keep open the possibility Trump will reconsider.

We have to, they explained Thursday morning. Who could have predicted that Trump would pull out in the first place? And now, who can say definitively that he won't change course again?

Well, Donald Trump, for one. "Mr. Trump will not be participating in tonight's Fox News debate," Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski told me by phone this morning. "He will be holding a rally to raise money … for veterans who have been treated like third-class citizens."

Lewandowski told me the Trump campaign has received 4,000 RSVPs for tonight's event. The theater in which it will be held holds 776 people, so the campaign is working to set up giant screens for an overflow viewing area outside. (Forecast temperature: 28 degrees, fairly balmy for Des Moines these days.) In addition, Lewandowski said 360 members of the media have been credentialed to cover the event.

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Byron York: GOP keeps door open for Trump to change mind; Trump says no
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:18:49 pm »
The current melt down in the "Conservative" media is what you get when you confront narcissists with the real world

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:44 pm »
"they were so surprised — never saw it coming"

Anyone really believe that?   He has threaten not to show up at just about every debate. It's either because he want's huge money from the network for the privilege of having him on, or because he is afraid of being asked tough questions. I don't think anyone's shocked that he said he wouldn't go on. Maybe a little bit that this time he is actually going through with it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:52:00 pm »
I think it is simple. Trump has reached a point of popularity that he does not need the debates. There is no value added effect for him by attending. All he was doing was setting himself up for the others to increase their popularity by taking pot-shot at him.

It was a simple decision. There is more risk of a negative consequence than a positive outcome by him subjecting himself, in this case in particular, to a possible setup. Ergo, I'm not going. I see the logic in what he is doing and it makes sense.

He has now become a force unlike any of the rest of the contenders. The event tonight will seal the deal on Trump being a movement unto himself more than he is a political candidate.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »
I think it is simple. Trump has reached a point of popularity that he does not need the debates. There is no value added effect for him by attending. All he was doing was setting himself up for the others to increase their popularity by taking pot-shot at him.

It was a simple decision. There is more risk of a negative consequence than a positive outcome by him subjecting himself, in this case in particular, to a possible setup. Ergo, I'm not going. I see the logic in what he is doing and it makes sense.

He has now become a force unlike any of the rest of the contenders. The event tonight will seal the deal on Trump being a movement unto himself more than he is a political candidate.

:thumbsup:

Scary, isn't it?  :silly: