Author Topic: Why Ted Cruz is eligible to be president  (Read 490 times)

Offline flowers

Why Ted Cruz is eligible to be president
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:31 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/opinions/amar-cruz-trump-natural-born-citizen/index.html

(CNN)I do not embrace Ted Cruz politically, but I do embrace his right to run for president, and so should you.

Here is our first question: Who decides whether Cruz is eligible? My answer: At first, you do. We, the people, do. We do this on Election Day when we cast our ballots with the Constitution in our hearts and minds if not in our hands. If you think Cruz is ineligible — if what I say here does not persuade you — you can vote against him.

If Cruz gets enough electoral votes this fall, then Congress and not the Supreme Court should be the final legal judge of Cruz's eligibility. The Constitution's 12th Amendment clearly says that Congress counts the electoral votes at a special session; and thus Congress is constitutionally authorized to refuse to count any electoral votes that Congress considers invalid.

Elsewhere, Article I, section 5 of the Constitution makes clear that each house of Congress may "judge" whether a would-be member of that house meets the constitutional eligibility rules for that house. Suppose Mr. Smith wants to go to Washington as a senator. He wins election in his home state. But the Constitution says a senator must be 30 years old.

If a dispute arises about Smith's age, about whether there a proper birth certificate and what it says, the Constitution clearly says the Senate is "the judge" of Smith's birth certificate dispute.

Similarly, for presidential elections the Constitution's structure makes Congress the judge of any birth certificate dispute or any other issue of presidential eligibility. Congress cannot fabricate new presidential eligibility rules but it is the judge of the eligibility rules prescribed in the Constitution.

Thus, ordinary courts should butt out, now and forever. They have no proper role here, because the Constitution itself makes Congress the special judge. In legal jargon, the issue is a "nonjusticiable political question."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Why Ted Cruz is eligible to be president
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:32:46 pm »
Or as per Pastor Rafael Cruz Sr., his son has been "anointed" King.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/11/27/creepy-business-ted-cruz-father-my-son-annointed-to-take-control-of-society/

I happen to project forward to a general election, which if the Senator from Alberta is the GOP candidate, this will help stop him, and elect the democrat.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Re: Why Ted Cruz is eligible to be president
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »
Or as per Pastor Rafael Cruz Sr., his son has been "anointed" King.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/11/27/creepy-business-ted-cruz-father-my-son-annointed-to-take-control-of-society/

I happen to project forward to a general election, which if the Senator from Alberta is the GOP candidate, this will help stop him, and elect the democrat.
I like the way you use his real name in your posts.