Author Topic: Cruz challenges Trump to one-on-one debate  (Read 2307 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: Cruz challenges Trump to one-on-one debate
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:48 pm »
So true - rarely does a sitting president have to "debate".  Like you said, it's deals and strategies and that's what he's good at. 

He has nothing to win by going against Cruz in a debate.  Cruz is starting to remind me of my cousin - he's a lawyer with all this book edjumacation  and very little people skills.

So, Cruz has memorized the Constitution.  Does anyone seriously think Trump isn't going to avail himself to the best legal and constitutional advisers you can get?  Being a CEO means you surround yourself with the best people and not try to micromanage everything. 

Don't take the challenge Donald - you're already in the lead.

Trump is a poor judge of character; he has made the comment that he thought Hillary did a good job as Secretary of State and would make a great president.  Give me a break.

Donald is afraid to debate Cruz.  It is one thing to attack someone repeatedly over the airwaves and it's quite another to attack someone to their face.  Trump is nothing more than a liberal coward.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 01:42:52 pm »
Does anyone seriously think Trump isn't going to avail himself to the best legal and constitutional advisers you can get?  Being a CEO means you surround yourself with the best people and not try to micromanage everything. 

Oliver Cromwell might be available, but I think he was beheaded.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 01:47:14 pm »
If Trump were to become president he may surround himself with constitutional advisers, but that doesn't mean a whole lot unless he's willing to come down off of his self-made pedestal and actually listen!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 01:47:49 pm »
Trump is a poor judge of character; he has made the comment that he thought Hillary did a good job as Secretary of State and would make a great president.  Give me a break.

Donald is afraid to debate Cruz.  It is one thing to attack someone repeatedly over the airwaves and it's quite another to attack someone to their face.  Trump is nothing more than a liberal coward.

Absolutely right!  Ted Cruz would tear him apart in a one on one unmoderated debate and HE damned well knows it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »
....hmmm...still waiting for the 'Donald' to accept Cruz's challenge to a debate.  Nothing.  As more time passes it becomes obvious that Trump is afraid.  He's a liberal coward.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:33 pm »

Your point that he is a poor judge of character is a good one.  Not only did he praise Hillary, but he praised Bill, and he praised Obama (his economic policies, no less.......... Stimulus, Cash for Clunkers included).   The FACT that he's a liberal can't really be disputed, unless you ignore everything he's ever said.

But the bottom line here, I think is fear.  He could never stand toe to toe against Cruz, and in spite of his chutzpah, he probably knows it.  There's no way he could handle Cruz' intellect, knowledge, and conservative principles.

When Trump looks foolish (which is often) it's on his own terms.  Debating Cruz would make him look both foolish and stupid, and he'd never allow that.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:26 pm »

I know a few Supreme Court justices that could probably defeat anyone in a debate about the Constitution ... Could any of these smart justices make a good president? No!

The skill set needed for the president's job is very different and does not typically involve winning debate points.

Bold leadership, not lawyerly elocution. That's the president's job.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:36 pm »
I know a few Supreme Court justices that could probably defeat anyone in a debate about the Constitution ... Could any of these smart justices make a good president? No!

The skill set needed for the president's job is very different and does not typically involve winning debate points.

Bold leadership, not lawyerly elocution. That's the president's job.

The problem is that your 'leader' is a lightweight when it comes to the Constitution, so suggesting that he'd be a good president is suspect.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »
Trump's not going to debate The Boy Wonder one on one.  Debate is the only thing The Boy does well.  I know when I'm thinking of a leader that can go up against Putin and Iran - my mind first and foremost goes to someone that is a killer debater!

NOT.

Everyone said Carly would mop the floor with Hillary in a debate - guess that's not going to happen because once people got to see Carly more, they realized the debate was the whole thing with her and they decided they really weren't into her like that - for president, that is. 

Oooh, Cruz would mop the floor with Trump in a debate!!!!!!!!!!!  Big freakin' deal!

Trump's running the long game, Cruz is only as good as his last debate.  These debates are a media creation to promote who they choose and try to destroy who they don't.  Just like with McCain, they'll use The Boy Wonder to try to smash who they don't like - and on the slim chance he would be the nominee - they'll destroy him.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 04:21:07 pm »
Agreed, not his strength. That part happens in negotiations, which now that I think of it, is the biggest part of day to day presidential duties. Except to manage the occasional world crisis, I expect. Maybe greet a space alien landing on the north lawn. Stuff like that.

DEBATE more TALK. TRUMP is a DOER and has WON all 6 debates. CRUZ is falling and TRUMP said he will debate him when it is HIM and CRUZ left standing. AFTER IA CRUZ campaign will be DONE and if he gets is eligibility sorted out maybe TRUMP will make him something in his Cabinet? :patriot:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »
Trump's not going to debate The Boy Wonder one on one.  Debate is the only thing The Boy does well.  I know when I'm thinking of a leader that can go up against Putin and Iran - my mind first and foremost goes to someone that is a killer debater!

NOT.

Everyone said Carly would mop the floor with Hillary in a debate - guess that's not going to happen because once people got to see Carly more, they realized the debate was the whole thing with her and they decided they really weren't into her like that - for president, that is. 

Oooh, Cruz would mop the floor with Trump in a debate!!!!!!!!!!!  Big freakin' deal!

Trump's running the long game, Cruz is only as good as his last debate.  These debates are a media creation to promote who they choose and try to destroy who they don't.  Just like with McCain, they'll use The Boy Wonder to try to smash who they don't like - and on the slim chance he would be the nominee - they'll destroy him.

There is a BIG difference between actual evidence (what Cruz has actually DONE) and piew in the sky wishful thinking (what Trump says he will do) Alice!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:25 pm »
There is a BIG difference between actual evidence (what Cruz has actually DONE) and piew in the sky wishful thinking (what Trump says he will do) Alice!

Why don't you list those things Cruz has DONE - shouldn't take you too long.

I'd list the things Trump has DONE - but I don't have all day long to do it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
I find it hilarious that the words "Boy Wonder" are being used to attack Cruz.

As a musician, Mozart immediately comes to mind.  A prodigy.  A genius.

And that's supposed to be bad???

The Kool-Aid is strong in this realm.......   **nononono*

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 04:57:35 pm »
Why don't you list those things Cruz has DONE - shouldn't take you too long.

I'd list the things Trump has DONE - but I don't have all day long to do it.

Exactly. Trump's accomplishments are legion--a 40-year career of contributing mightily to the economy with thousands of jobs and making a lasting impact on the skyline of cities around the world with his iconic skyscrapers.

Ted Cruz? A half-term senator who was solicitor general of Texas a few years ago. I'm so impressed with Cruz's accomplishments.  **nononono*

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 05:06:54 pm »
I find it hilarious that the words "Boy Wonder" are being used to attack Cruz.

As a musician, Mozart immediately comes to mind.  A prodigy.  A genius.

And that's supposed to be bad???

The Kool-Aid is strong in this realm.......   **nononono*

Soooo, you're saying Mozart would have made a great president?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:24 pm »
Oliver Cromwell might be available, but I think he was beheaded.

Actually he didn't die from beheading. They dug him up later and beheaded him.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 05:26:31 pm »
Exactly. Trump's accomplishments are legion--a 40-year career of contributing mightily to the economy with thousands of jobs and making a lasting impact on the skyline of cities around the world with his iconic skyscrapers.

Ted Cruz? A half-term senator who was solicitor general of Texas a few years ago. I'm so impressed with Cruz's accomplishments.  **nononono*

==========================================

We're talking about a lot of money here that is on the (bottom) line.

With the stroke of a pen, a POTUS can spend trillions of taxpayer dollars.

The underlying stream here is not really about ethics, it is about who controls the money.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 05:59:33 pm »
...hmm...still waiting for Trump to respond. He's afraid.  He's a liberal coward. Cruz wants to debate him "Lincoln-Douglas" style - not with moderators.  Debate issues, character and knowledge - Trump will fail and he knows it. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 06:03:56 pm »
==========================================

We're talking about a lot of money here that is on the (bottom) line.

With the stroke of a pen, a POTUS can spend trillions of taxpayer dollars.

The underlying stream here is not really about ethics, it is about who controls the money.

If you were to actually do a little research you'd realize Cruz's accomplishments are many.  Trump took his father's millions, built buildings; while forcing people off of their properties, driving businesses into the ground, making deals with banks and back room deals  and firing people.  Wow.  If you actually compare records for starters Cruz worked his way from the ground up; Trump took Daddy's millions and made more millions -- on the backs of those he hired and fired.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 06:11:14 pm »
...hmm...still waiting for Trump to respond. He's afraid.  He's a liberal coward. Cruz wants to debate him "Lincoln-Douglas" style - not with moderators.  Debate issues, character and knowledge - Trump will fail and he knows it.

The way you respond to a gnat flying around your face is to swat it into oblivion.  It's Cruz's only hope - to be able to dazzle everyone with his Debate Champion skills. 

Meanwhile, Donald's running a marathon - not a sprint.  He doesn't have time to stop and pay attention to the gnats.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 06:27:47 pm »
Trump will never debate Cruz one on one.

It's not a matter of cowardice, but sanity. Trump is a TERRIBLE debater. Every debate so far, as soon as actual policy came up, he basically disappeared from the stage for 30 minutes at a time. He can't do that in a one on one.

Very typical of a DOER vs a TALKER. TRUMP does things while politicans talk about doing things.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 06:50:03 pm »
Actually he didn't die from beheading. They dug him up later and beheaded him.

Whatever happened to his head, anyway?

I heard it showed up somewhere a few years ago...........

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:06 pm »
The problem is that your 'leader' is a lightweight when it comes to the Constitution, so suggesting that he'd be a good president is suspect.
I am curious. Reagan would be the universal favorite Republican President in memory.

So what was the big, important Constitutional subject during his time? Please use just your memory.

My answer: Most of the time, most issues are not big Constitutional topic, and many issues can be argued from BOTH sides using the Constitution.

Finally all of the talk about Cruz being "a brilliant Constitutional lawyer" yet I NEVER hear of the subjects or cases he was involved with.

With only a few law courses, I happen to KNOW we have no legal precedent for a President born outside of the US. Cruz should recuse himself from considering his own eligibility.

To me he is a lot of hat, but no cattle. On several issues he is on the losing side of popular opinion, and if nominated he will lose badly (think Goldwater).

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 07:18:08 pm »
Whatever happened to his head, anyway?

I heard it showed up somewhere a few years ago...........
You are thinking of Richard III most likely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_and_reburial_of_Richard_III_of_England

Cromwell came along later. Cromwell took over, after Charles I was beheaded. Cromwell became non-royal leader, imposed extreme puritan rule, and in the end was "disinterred" and beheaded as well.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 07:20:02 pm »
You are thinking of Richard III most likely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_and_reburial_of_Richard_III_of_England

Cromwell came along later. Cromwell took over, after Charles I was beheaded. Cromwell became non-royal leader, imposed extreme puritan rule, and in the end was "disinterred" and beheaded as well.

I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure there was a documentary called "Cromwell's Head" on a few years ago.

Then again, I AM getting old, so maybe I just made that up.  :dx1: