Author Topic: Trump defends Planned Parenthood  (Read 1222 times)

Offline flowers

Trump defends Planned Parenthood
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:29 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/250936-trump-defends-planned-parenthood

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump defended Planned Parenthood during an interview Tuesday night, doubling down on his remarks that part of the group should be funded.

“They do good things,” Trump said during an interview with Sean Hannity that aired on Fox News.

ADVERTISEMENT
“There's two Planned Parenthoods, in a way. You have it as an abortion clinic. Now that's actually a fairly small part of what they do, but it’s a brutal part and I'm totally against it,” Trump said.

“They also, however, service women,” Trump said, adding later, “We have to help women. A lot of women are helped. So we have to look at the positives for Planned Parenthood.”

Trump's comments immediately drew fire from anti-abortion-rights advocates, who say that abortion represents a larger portion of what the organization does and that it should be entirely defunded.

It is not a small part of what they do don. I saw the graphic of what they did. Abortions was the majority of what they do.

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Trump defends Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »
For the record, article dated: August 12, 2015

Beyond that, this has been widely discussed at the time.  It was one of the first clues that I saw that Trump has been running a General Election campaign from Day 1.

“There's two Planned Parenthoods, in a way. You have it as an abortion clinic. Now that's actually a fairly small part of what they do, but it’s a brutal part and I'm totally against it,” Trump said.

I will acknowledge that Mr. Trump (less than a month in campaign mode) was incorrect about the percentage of abortions performed as a total of PP activity.  (An example of some of the early ham-handedness that he has been leaving behind.)

“They also, however, service women,” Trump said, adding later, “We have to help women. A lot of women are helped. So we have to look at the positives for Planned Parenthood.”

Here is the General Election part of it.  It certainly doesn't come close to satisfying social conservatives, not in the least.  But...  it provides him insulation in a GE campaign from the typical War on Women barbs that knock so many GOP candidates for a loop.

What the article doesn't include, is that during those few days, he also (in GE mode) talked about how much his wife and daughter tell him all of the time about how wonderful he will be for women.

Cutting to the chase:

- Trump will likely lose some primary support in certain segments that remain "unpleased" with his comments on this topic.
- Trump retains a bit of a firewall against the typical War on Women attacks that will come in the GE.

Interestingly, I hear some of the pundits started to talk about Trump being in an early GE mode over the past week, I've been observing it and posting about it for months.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:40 pm »
For the record, article dated: August 12, 2015

Beyond that, this has been widely discussed at the time.  It was one of the first clues that I saw that Trump has been running a General Election campaign from Day 1.

I will acknowledge that Mr. Trump (less than a month in campaign mode) was incorrect about the percentage of abortions performed as a total of PP activity.  (An example of some of the early ham-handedness that he has been leaving behind.)

Here is the General Election part of it.  It certainly doesn't come close to satisfying social conservatives, not in the least.  But...  it provides him insulation in a GE campaign from the typical War on Women barbs that knock so many GOP candidates for a loop.

What the article doesn't include, is that during those few days, he also (in GE mode) talked about how much his wife and daughter tell him all of the time about how wonderful he will be for women.

Cutting to the chase:

- Trump will likely lose some primary support in certain segments that remain "unpleased" with his comments on this topic.
- Trump retains a bit of a firewall against the typical War on Women attacks that will come in the GE.

Interestingly, I hear some of the pundits started to talk about Trump being in an early GE mode over the past week, I've been observing it and posting about it for months.

I've noticed it.  Things he is saying now are things you would say running in the general election.  I can't help but think that he knows - he KNOWS!  He knows that is his next challenge and he has already hit the ground running.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:54:36 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/250936-trump-defends-planned-parenthood

It is not a small part of what they do don. I saw the graphic of what they did. Abortions was the majority of what they do.

=====================================

Abortion and gay rights are mainstream now - taught from fifth grade through graduate school.  That is where this (degenerate) country is.

Completely rooted in both the GOP and DNC. 

rooted ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNabdDx_mU

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 11:12:44 pm »
Trump and Laura Bush are in synch with a majority of voters, too.

(hardline true social conservatives are not.)

Correlation-Bush and Trump may well prove to be election winners, too. Surprise.

A surefire way to guarantee a Republican loss, is to run an extremist like Cruz, with positions far from the majority of voters, like

............making it illegal for a woman that is raped, to get an abortion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=abortion+rape+cruz&oq=abortion+rape+cruz&gs_l=serp.12...1029210.1033209.0.1035535.18.18.0.0.0.0.188.2041.2j16.18.0.cprnk%2Ceremre%3Dgame.2..0...1.1.64.serp..0.16.1851.Wvybrp4l1PA

Just 22% agree with Cruz, that abortion should be illegal in cases of rape. A sure fire losing position.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »

You mean Trump wants to win? Outrageous!

We have been arguing over abortion a long long time, and I don't forsee anything changing soon.

While I am pro-life, I know conservatives use abortion as a litmus test. But when you're trying to find a president who can be effective against Democrats and who might be able to make changes in the abortion issue, a litmus test can limit your ability to select the strongest candidate.

My point is, first you must get elected, then your in a position to change things. Democrats knew this when they ran Barack Hussein Obama.

I hope we learned something from them. Or, we could just stay forever a minority party, even when we are in the majority.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »

We have been arguing over abortion a long long time, and I don't forsee anything changing soon.

While I am pro-life, I know conservatives use abortion as a litmus test. But when you're trying to find a president who can be effective against Democrats and who might be able to make changes in the abortion issue, a litmus test can limit your ability to select the strongest candidate.

My point is, first you must get elected, then your in a position to change things. Democrats knew this when they ran Barack Hussein Obama.

I hope we learned something from them. Or, we could just stay forever a minority party, even when we are in the majority.
it truly has been a amazing thing to watch hasn't it aligncare? 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:31:23 pm »
it truly has been a amazing thing to watch hasn't it aligncare?

I despise abortion. But that's no reason not to make other areas of our daily lives better while we work on changing the hearts of Americans about abortion. Abortion on demand will probably be with us next year and maybe a dozen years from now. But if we can't get elected we can't make changes.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:46:19 pm »

The number of citizens favoring access to abortions in some cases has increased. To me Rape is a measurement of practical politics.

The dems will scream to high heaven if Cruz is the nominee, and in the autopsy after his loss, rape-abortion will be among the major reasons.

Bottom line: If you oppose abortions for all reasons, then nobody in your family need get one.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln