Author Topic: Witless Ape: The Director's Cut (Mark Steyn)  (Read 391 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Witless Ape: The Director's Cut (Mark Steyn)
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:53:24 pm »
Witless Ape: The Director's Cut
by Mark Steyn  •  Jan 22, 2016 at 8:34 pm

If you're in the New York-Washington corridor this weekend, Miss Jessica Martin and I have the perfect musical accompaniment.

~This is a droll line from Professor Glenn Reynolds:

If Obama had 2 more terms, he'd have to build a wall to keep Americans in.

~National Review's initial reaction to Donald Trump's entry into the presidential race appeared a few hours after he launched his campaign under the headline "Witless Ape Rides Escalator". Their condescension has got a little subtler since then, and it's now gone long-form with an entire issue dedicated to the singular proposition: "Against Trump".

I've received a ton of emails today asking me what I make of the National Review hit. I used to contribute to NR, and I generally make it a rule not to comment on publications for which I once wrote. Just move on with your life, that's my advice. In this case, we parted on not terribly pleasant terms, and we remain co-defendants on the unending Mann vs Steyn et al law suit, which means I have to get on well enough with Rich Lowry so that he doesn't want to punch my lights out when we're sitting in the dock together - or, if things go really badly, sharing a cell.

Nevertheless, notwithstanding some contributors I admire, the whole feels like a rather obvious trolling exercise. As I explained yesterday, I don't think Trump supporters care that he's not a fully paid-up member in good standing of "the conservative movement" - in part because, as they see it, the conservative movement barely moves anything. If you want the gist of NR's argument, here it is:

I think we can say that this is a Republican campaign that would have appalled Buckley, Goldwater, and Reagan...

A real conservative walks with us. Ronald Reagan read National Review and Human Events for intellectual sustenance...

My old boss, Ronald Reagan, once said...

Ronald Reagan was famous for...

When Reagan first ran for governor of California...

Reagan showed respect for...

Reagan kept the Eleventh Commandment...

Far cry from Ronald Reagan's "I am paying for this microphone" line...

Trump is Dan Quayle, and everyone and his auntie are Lloyd Bentsen: "I knew Ronald Reagan, I worked for Ronald Reagan, I filled in Ronald Reagan's subscription-renewal form for National Review. And you, sir, are no Ronald Reagan."

You have to be over 50 to have voted for Reagan, and a supposed "movement" can't dine out on one guy forever, can it? What else you got?

Well, there are two references to Bush, both of them following the words "Reagan and". But no mention of Dole, one psephological citation of Romney, and one passing sneer at McCain as a "cynical charlatan" - and that's it for the last three decades of presidential candidates approved by National Review, at least to the extent that they never ran entire issues trashing them.

Will the more or less official disdain of "the conservative movement" make any difference to Trump's supporters? Matt Welch in Reason:

Many or even most of the people who make a living working in politics and political commentary—even those who think of themselves as outsiders, such as nonpartisan libertarians—inevitably begin to view their field as one dedicated primarily to ideas, ideology, philosophy, policy, and so forth, and NOT to the emotional, ideologically unmoored cultural passions of a given (and perhaps fleeting) moment.

I'd put that contrast slightly differently. The movement conservatives at National Review make a pretty nice living out of "ideas, ideology, philosophy, policy, and so forth". The voters can't afford that luxury: They live in a world where, in large part due to the incompetence of the national Republican Party post-Reagan, Democrat ideas are in the ascendant. And they feel that this is maybe the last chance to change that.

Go back to that line "When Reagan first ran for governor of California..." Gosh, those were the days, weren't they? But Reagan couldn't get elected Governor of California now, could he? Because the Golden State has been demographically transformed. From my book The [Un]documented Mark Steyn:

According to the Census, in 1970 the 'Non-Hispanic White' population of California was 78 per cent. By the 2010 Census, it was 40 per cent. Over the same period, the 10-per cent Hispanic population quadrupled and caught up with whites.

That doesn't sound terribly 'natural', does it? If one were informed that, say, the population of Nigeria had gone from 80 per cent black in 1970 to 40 per cent black today, one would suspect something rather odd and profoundly unnatural had been going on.

The past is another country, and the Chamber of Commerce Republicans gave it away. Reagan's California no longer exists. And, if America as a whole takes on the demographics of California, then "the conservative movement" will no longer exist. That's why, for many voters, re-asserting America's borders is the first, necessary condition for anything else - and it took Trump to put that on the table.

http://www.steynonline.com/7433/witless-ape-the-director-cut

Offline aligncare

Re: Witless Ape: The Director's Cut (Mark Steyn)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:16:26 pm »

Steyn may have walked a tightrope, but his message got across.

--oh, and I agree with it.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »
Steyn may have walked a tightrope, but his message got across.

--oh, and I agree with it.

I do as well.  NR jumped the shark. 

I don't support Trump, but I think it is a lot harder to get out there and muster votes than it is to hide in one's house and type some lines through a keyboard.  Would Trump be where he is today without the bombast and showmanship?  I seriously doubt it.  What I see is a bunch of elitists (some of whom I respect deeply) complaining that someone is not playing by the gentlemanly rules.  Well, in case they hadn't noticed, the rules in politics have changed along with the electorate.

Like these authors I have my doubts about Trump.  But a lot of what was said in NR was way over the top.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:35:12 pm »
I do as well.  NR jumped the shark. 

I don't support Trump, but I think it is a lot harder to get out there and muster votes than it is to hide in one's house and type some lines through a keyboard.  Would Trump be where he is today without the bombast and showmanship?  I seriously doubt it.  What I see is a bunch of elitists (some of whom I respect deeply) complaining that someone is not playing by the gentlemanly rules.  Well, in case they hadn't noticed, the rules in politics have changed along with the electorate.

Like these authors I have my doubts about Trump.  But a lot of what was said in NR was way over the top.

Politics brings out the passion--and hyperbole--in its devotees. I know that for fact as a wounded veteran of the 2012 primary election season. I've got the scars to prove it. But, what am I saying? No need to tell you that.  :beer: :patriot:

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 03:47:54 pm »
The conservative movement is dying...Hell, it may already be dead, better check for breath on the mirror.

It can be reasonably argued that every president since 1989 - and almost every Congress since then - has had no connection with conservatism.  They've been for all intents and purposes...with the exception of which donors they put riders or amendments into legislation for...Democrats.  Under Newt's Congress and with the great boost from a booming economy in the 1990's (that Hillary now takes credit for) we got welfare reform and, momentarily, a [sort of] balanced budget (Hillary takes credit for that too).  Otherwise, what conservative initiative has been enacted in the last 28 years?  A tax cut - not tax system reform - a tax cut. One tax cut. 

That is not a living movement - even the Washington Generals beat the Globetrotters more often than that. Don't talk to me about ideology, National Review, until you can show me what that ideology has DONE.  The Libertarians have not done significantly less, or been significantly less successful, than "conservatives."
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:58:02 pm »

Otherwise, what conservative initiative has been enacted in the last 28 years?  A tax cut - not tax system reform - a tax cut. One tax cut. 

A tax cut funded by massive borrowing at that.  Hardly "conservative."

Nonetheless, the fact that conservatives have been descendant does not make them wrong.  Just unelectable.

(Scott, I always find your posts well-reasoned and provocative.  I very much appreciate you being here.)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:58:36 pm by massadvj »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 04:02:55 pm »
Interesting article (of course it is, Steyn wrote it!), and what it says to me is that:
  • demographics dictate our future, the democrat party orchestrated that demographic tsunami, and the dim party benefits from it,
  • youngsters (under 50?) don't get conservatism because they don't understand it and have never seen its positive effects,
  • the R party has been feckless and useless and does not have a clear vision and has squandered its rapidly diminishing influence.

That's a lot to overcome.  Probably too much.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:03:56 pm by Sanguine »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:42:42 pm »
As usual, I completely agree with Steyn.  Us oldsters have got to retrain ourselves to remember that anyone younger than us wasn't old enough to remember the Reagan years, they've been indoctrinated to the point that you can't even reason with a lot of them and they haven't seen an instance of conservatism in their lives.  Reality tv IS their reality! 

I know why Rush has stopped saying the conservatism works every time it's tried - because no one knows what conservatism is anymore.  To argue that Trump is not conservative is a waste of breath now.  Conservatism was suffocated to death with the help of our current Republican party.  These bastions of conservatism at the NR didn't say **** about it then.  Romney the architect of Obamacare.  McCain campaigning for Obama while he's running against him.  On and on and on.......

I have just one more comment - Glenn Beck?  Really?  :silly: :silly: :silly:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 03:44:07 am »
You have to be over 50 to have voted for Reagan, and a supposed "movement" can't dine out on one guy forever, can it? What else you got?

A true Steyn classic--short and to the point--as only he can do.