Author Topic: 35 Years Ago Today Marked One Of The 'Best Moments' Of Jimmy Carter's Life  (Read 330 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jimmy-carter-iran-hostage-crisis_us_569ec072e4b00f3e98635956

After 444 days in captivity, the hostages were released -- just moments after Carter left office. The timing, he points out, was no accident.

"I had just been negotiating with the Iranians and with 12 other countries," Carter says. "And at 9 o'clock that morning, they were already in the airplane ready to take off from Tehran. But the Ayatollah Khomeini kept them there until after I was no longer president."
Getty Images Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the leader of the Islamic Revolution, held the hostages in Iran until the moment Jimmy Carter was no longer president.

When Carter received word from the Secret Service that the hostages had actually taken off from Tehran, he was elated.

"It was one of the best days -- best moments -- of my life," he says.

The next day, Carter got the opportunity to come face to face with the hostages. "President Regan was nice enough to invite me to go and meet them," Carter says. "I didn't know how they were going to react to me."

The former president walked into the room where the former hostages were assembled, in Germany, prepared for any response.

"They stood up and broke into applause," Carter recalls with a smile. "One by one, they embraced me and thanked me for getting them out."

Wait....what?  I am remembering history wrong?  Carter got them released?????????????????

Wingnut

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jimmy-carter-iran-hostage-crisis_us_569ec072e4b00f3e98635956

Wait....what?  I am remembering history wrong?  Carter got them released?????????????????

He is mistaken.  Everyone knows it was Brian Williams who got them released.

Offline flowers

He is mistaken.  Everyone knows it was Brian Williams who got them released.
:laugh:

Offline mountaineer

Carter has been Islamoterrorists' best friend ever since.  :shrug:  But I'm sure he deserves all the credit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org