Author Topic: Dangerous Winter Storm Jonas to Bring Crippling Snowstorm, Major Ice Threat; Blizzard Warnings for D.C., Baltimore  (Read 7595 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-jonas-forecast-blizzard-watch-january-21

Published:
Jan 21 2016 01:45 PM EST
weather.com

Blizzard warnings have been issued for the Baltimore and Washington D.C. metro areas, and blizzard watches extend northward to the Philadelphia and New York City metro areas as Winter Storm Jonas begins to take shape. The storm is expected to deliver heavy snowfall to at least 15 states, and heavy ice accumulations, strong winds and coastal flooding will add to the storm's impact as it carves a path from the nation's heartland through the South and onward to the East Coast now through Sunday.

As of early Thursday afternoon, more than 76 million people – or roughly one in every four Americans – were covered by either a blizzard watch, blizzard warning, winter storm watch, winter storm warning, winter weather advisory, or freezing rain advisory from Kansas to the Carolinas to the New York City area.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stay safe everyone and please check in when you can
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/01/21/in-advance-big-storm-new-jersey-lifts-licensing-laws-for-shoveling-snow.html?intcmp=trending

Just days ahead of an expected blizzard on the East Coast, New Jersey has officially repealed a nonsensical rule banning the shoveling of snow without a license.

Gov. Chris Christie on Tuesday signed a bill making it legal for New Jersey residents to offer snow shoveling services without first registering with their town. Last year, two entrepreneurial teens going door-to-door and offering to shovel snow for a small fee were stopped by local police in Bound Brook.

The cops told the two boys, Matt Molinari and Eric Schnepf, they were not allowed to solicit businesses without a permit.

In Bound Brook, that license costs $450 and is only good for a period of 180 days.

After the story made national headlines, state lawmakers began working on a solution.

Republican State Sen. Mike Doherty, who sponsored the so-called “right-to-shovel” bill, said it was incredible that some towns wanted teens to pay

Offline andy58-in-nh

What's amazing is that we here in north-central New England are not going to get even a flurry.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
60 and sunny in Vegas :tongue2:

What happens in Vegas ain't happening here.   :chairbang:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Wingnut

888ohnoes

Back in my day we just dealt with these occurances without all the hype because we knew what caused these storms.

Winter!

Offline musiclady

We were going to be heading to tomorrow's March for Life in DC today.  Decided that we might be able to get there, but didn't want to stay until they dug the city out in a week or so!

Our son and d-I-l are in nearby Maryland, and they'll keep us posted on how bad it gets just outside the beltway.

It's gone from a blizzard watch to a warning just since this morning.  More than 2 feet of snow in some areas??

Crazy stuff!

DCPatriot!  Stay safe!!  And take pictures!   :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

888ohnoes

Back in my day we just dealt with these occurances without all the hype because we knew what caused these storms.

Winter!

30 inches of snow in DC isn't exactly what you'd call a typical winter.

It will be interesting to watch, however, since one inch last night crippled the entire city.   ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Wingnut

Look at the upside.  The DC black on black homicide rate should decrease.    However, all the togetherness the storm will cause could increase the domestic violence calls in the burbs! 

Offline Relic

If it could just wipe the capitol building and the White House off the map, that would be great.

Online mountaineer

I just want to know who has seized authority for giving a name to every storm that blows into town.  :shrug:
Fortunately,  we're on the edge of this one and should get only 3" of snow.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

I just want to know who has seized authority for giving a name to every storm that blows into town.  :shrug:

Global Warming agenda types.

Offline musiclady

If it could just wipe the capitol building and the White House off the map, that would be great.

:beer:

Offline flowers

That is a horrible thing to say.    :pondering:  No really we need that history preserved, fumigated too. 

Offline musiclady

That is a horrible thing to say.    :pondering:  No really we need that history preserved, fumigated too.

Maybe the storm can blow some cleansing snow through both buildings and we can start over next January!  ^-^

Offline flowers

Maybe the storm can blow some cleansing snow through both buildings and we can start over next January!  ^-^
*girl beer*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:56:31 am by flowers »

Offline alicewonders

Well, for my area - it's been a big bust. We ain't got crap yet.  Anyone else getting stormed?

Offline mrclose

Stay safe everyone and please check in when you can
I am in Chesterfield, Va .. southwest of Richmond.
The authorities here are calling it a High Impact storm for our area.

Looking at the clock as I type .. It should be hitting the area in about five hours.
(I'm from south florida .. this is gonna be GREAT!) :beer: :silly:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

Well, for my area - it's been a big bust. We ain't got crap yet.  Anyone else getting stormed?
Where are you?

Oops.
I see that you're in Kentucky.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:21:46 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline EdinVA

We are supposed to be in the bulls eye, 20-30 inches... has not started yet...
Got plenty of coffee, we are good to go... :)

Online mountaineer

We're not supposed to see snow until after dinnertime today.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Whoever gets lots of snow post pictures.

We're northwest of the whole thing and aren't even going to get a flurry, and I'm VERY jealous!

Offline mrclose

Started a half hour ago.

Just measured it in my back yard .. 3/4 of in inch!

That is quick and it's supposed to get heavier throughout today and tomorrow!
~ Self

Offline alicewonders

Oops!  I thought it was supposed to start yesterday.  NOW we're getting snow - coming down pretty good.  We've got maybe a half-inch on top of the inch we had, but more is coming down.