Author Topic: Obama touts improved Iranian ties: 'This is a good day'  (Read 359 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama touts improved Iranian ties: 'This is a good day'
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:27:48 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/266194-obama-touts-improved-iranian-ties-this-is-a-good-day

By Kyle Balluck and Jordan Fabian - 01/17/16 11:01 AM EST

President Obama on Sunday touted improved relations between Washington and Iran, pointing to the implementation of a nuclear agreement and Tehran’s release of American prisoners.

“This is a good day,” Obama said from the White House. “Once again we’re seeing what’s possible with strong American diplomacy.”

“Engaging directly with the Iranian government … has created a unique opportunity,” he added

The Obama administration on Saturday lifted sanctions against Iran under the historic nuclear deal reached last year.

“We’ve seen the results. Under the nuclear deal…Iran will not get its hand on a nuclear bomb,” Obama said Sunday. “The region, the United States and the world will be more secure.”

“Whereas Tehran was expanding its nuclear, program, we have now cut off every single path that Iran could have used to create a bomb,” he said.

“We achieved this through diplomacy without resulting in another war in the Middle East,” he added.

Obama said negotiations between Washington and Tehran to secure the release of Americans held in Iran “accelerated” after the nuclear deal.

“Several Americans unjustly detained by Iran are finally coming home,” Obama said.

“I gave these families my word,” he added “I made a vow that we would do everything to win the release of their loved ones.”

Obama also credited the improved relations between the two countries with the release of U.S. sailors who strayed into Iranian waters in “less than 24 hours.”

At the same time, the president announced new sanctions in response to two Iranian ballistic missile tests last year that violated international rules and sparked criticism of Obama's approach to Iran at home.

The Treasury Department sanctioned 11 individuals and companies working to advance Iran's ballistic missile program. The penalties were only announced after the plane carrying the four Americans exited Iranian airspace on Sunday.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Obama touts improved Iranian ties: 'This is a good day'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »
I'm just stunned that sanctions have been unilaterally lifted in a lump sum.  I thought they were to be lifted incrementally through ongoing inspections.   **nononono*

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:28:02 pm »
I wonder how much of that 1.7 billion will find it's  way into the pockets of Barrack Hussein Obama and John F'n Kerry.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 12:43:35 pm »

That's the official Choom Gang position, anyway. A good day, fer sure, man.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:30 pm »
I wonder how much of that 1.7 billion will find it's  way into the pockets of Barrack Hussein Obama and John F'n Kerry.
I was watching the response on Cnn. the bs line that their gov would now be able to re-build bridges, infrastructure.  Blah...blah......BLAH. the real question is how much of that 1.7b goes to the mullahs and supreme ruler and family and friends........I say 80%.