Author Topic: Is Trump warming to Kasich as his running mate after the last debate?  (Read 254 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429877/trump-kasich-2016

If Donald Trump manages to win the Republican presidential nomination (and this is becoming less of an “if” with each passing day), then he must select a vice-presidential running mate. Surely it will be tough for The Donald to share the national ticket with anyone, but at least he will still be on top. With this decision potentially on the horizon, did Trump spontaneously drop a hint about who could be on his veep short-list during Thursday night’s Republican debate? The answer is yes. It began after Trump explained how China has control over the rogue nation of North Korea and the need for a U.S. tariff on imported Chinese goods to stem the loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs. Then Ohio governor John Kasich, immediately responding to Trump’s statements, said, in part: And we do need China — Donald’s right about North Korea. I mean the fact is that they need to put the pressure on and frankly we need to intercepts ships coming out of North Korea so they don’t proliferate all these dangerous materials. But what he’s touching — talking about, I think has got merit. And I’ll allow putting that tariff or whatever he’s saying here . . . To which Trump replied to Kasich: “I’m happy to have him tonight.” Trump’s only compliment of the night elicited laughter from the audience.

I also read a tweet this morning on Trumps acct. It had Geraldo Rivera praising Trump.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Is Trump warming to Kasich as his running mate after the last debate?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »
Interesting.  I see Kasich even further to the left than Bush. Trump's thinking may be he would help get delegates needed in Ohio ... or this may be the beginning of Trump's poker hand unfolding ... siphoning votes away from a true conservative.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:23 pm »
Kasich IS the class act in the race.  Not as ideological, to be sure - he's a pragmatist,  and appeals to some of the same centrist voters that the polls suggest may be gravitating to Trump.   

He's the only candidate to have quality experience in all three facets of government.  He was a distinguished Congressman (and a true movement conservative, for those of us old enough to remember),  worked on security issues with a Republican administration, and of course is wildly popular in Ohio for a couple of terms of excellent stewardship.

Sure, he pissed off the hard right when he accepted that Medicaid funding.   Yes, it didn't help the national political battle against ObamaCare,  but it did help a lot of Ohio's working poor.   It sucks to have no recourse for family sickness other than an emergency room.

Kasich is, to me, the most authentic Christian of all the candidates.   What he says has the ring of truth - St.  Peter won't ask a politician whether he cut taxes, he'll ask him whether he helped the poor.   That is Christian grace,  that is the sort of heart I want to see in a President.   But listen to Kasich on foreign policy -  you don't here any kumbaya out of him when he addresses the Islamofascist threat.

Kasich would be a great asset to the ticket.   It would also reflect well on Trump,  a man who many view, to put it mildly, with great suspicion.     
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:42:45 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 08:38:35 pm »
The pairing makes sense. The blowhard and the demented windmill.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink