Author Topic: Mitt Romney: GOP 'Nuts' for Not Backing Minimum Wage Boost  (Read 3846 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: Mitt Romney: GOP 'Nuts' for Not Backing Minimum Wage Boost
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 10:50:11 pm »
Can you Cliff Notes the reasoning please?

I'm not doubting you in the slightest - I simply have an almost complete mental block when it comes to economics.  :shrug:

It's easy EC.... If you still have checks, your not broke... :)

Offline Paladin

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 10:52:11 pm »
It also helps union thugs who's wage contracts are tied to the minimum wage! THAT is what this is all about and nothing more!

Agreed.

It is also an unConstitutional application of government power.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 11:21:22 pm »

I'm not doubting you in the slightest - I simply have an almost complete mental block when it comes to economics.  :shrug:

It prices the very people its supposed to help out of getting that first job and thus the ability to develop skills that would make their labor ever more valuable.

The cuts off the first rung of the ladder analogy  made above is very appropriate because if you can't get to the first rung the rest of the ladder is worthless.

And that is but one of a great many detrimental effects.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:34:38 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 11:59:21 pm »
It prices the very people its supposed to help out of getting that first job and thus the ability to develop skills that would make their labor ever more valuable.

The cuts off the first rung of the ladder analogy  made above is very appropriate because if you can't get to the first rung the rest of the ladder is worthless.

And that is but one of a great many detrimental effects.

exactly..
Most of these jobs are in the $10 per hour bracket so a 50% increase in costs to the company has to be made up somewhere, either raising prices or reducing staff or hours.
Couple a min wage hike with the obamacare requirements that anyone that works over something like 30 hours per week must have medical coverage, the company simply reduces hours.
A lot of the younger people I know, including my own kids cannot make enough money from a job to pay rent on a simple apartment because the employers will not let them work more than 20/25 hours per week.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 12:34:24 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member