Author Topic: Government revises Dietary Guidelines for Americans: Go ahead and have some eggs  (Read 1314 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/07/government-revises-dietary-guidelines-for-americans-go-ahead-and-have-some-eggs/?hpid=hp_no-name_graphic-story-b%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

By Peter Whoriskey January 7

The federal government on Thursday told Americans not to worry so much about cholesterol in their diets, that lots of coffee is fine and that skipping breakfast is no longer considered a health hazard.

The recommendations were part of a new "Dietary Guidelines for Americans," the influential nutrition advice book that, updated every five years, expresses official thinking about what constitutes a nutritious meal.

In what may be the most striking change, the new version drops the strict limit on dietary cholesterol, stepping back from one of most prominent public health messages since the ’60s.

But there were several other notable changes. Salt limits were eased, if only slightly, for many people. Coffee won official approval for the first time, with the book saying that as many as five eight-ounce cups a day is fine. And apparently, skipping breakfast is no longer considered a health hazard: While the old version of Dietary Guidelines informed readers that “not eating breakfast has been associated with excess body weight,” the new version is silent on the topic.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

I've been eating eggs and drinking coffee all along. I knew they'd come around to my way of thinking.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

I've been eating eggs and drinking coffee all along. I knew they'd come around to my way of thinking.

Eggzactly. (Couldn't resist)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Me too.  There isn't a thing they've warned us about that they haven't had to backtrack on.  It just depends on which special interest group is willing to pay the most kickbacks.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

Eggzactly. (Couldn't resist)

You're a pretty smart egg ac!

Offline aligncare

Seriously, though. Humans evolved eating eggs, bone marrow, or any of the fattest part of a kill.

I can't imagine that nature--that is, evolution--got it wrong. Humans were killing prey for food for millions of years before agriculture was developed and before grains were commonly incorporated into human diet.

Sometimes commonsense should prevail over the 'egg' heads in scientific academia.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Seriously, though. Humans evolved eating eggs, bone marrow, or any of the fattest part of a kill.

I can't imagine that nature--that is, evolution--got it wrong. Humans were killing prey for food for millions of years before agriculture was developed and before grains were commonly incorporated into human diet.

Sometimes commonsense should prevail over the 'egg' heads in scientific academia.
Hunter-gatherers, we be. And very good at it.

The hunting was there from the very start. It evolved into animal husbandry.

The gathering evolved into agriculture.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

I've been around since the "Cranberry Sauce/ Cancer scare", the "Olive Oil is no good" scare, the "magarine is better than butter" scare. The government doesn't know squat about what it says in its pronouncements - and should probably stop making them.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline flowers

I guess the fed gov was bought off by some huge donor egg producers.  I have noticed they are now saying on TV that whole milk has protein in it ans should drink a glass a day. Remember the evil Red die #? they banded? I too am old enough to remember many scares they issue.

this is the same fed gov that wants us all to give our money away and give it to the elite saying it would go to poor nations, which it won't, in the name of Climate Change. ***spit***

Offline aligncare

I guess the fed gov was bought off by some huge donor egg producers.  I have noticed they are now saying on TV that whole milk has protein in it ans should drink a glass a day. Remember the evil Red die #? they banded? I too am old enough to remember many scares they issue.

this is the same fed gov that wants us all to give our money away and give it to the elite saying it would go to poor nations, which it won't, in the name of Climate Change. ***spit***

Yep. Shows just how much government has squandered its good will. The perception that government is for sale to the highest bidder, that money can grant you special favor with regulators, is eroding public trust. That's why this election is about outsiders, insurgents to the whole bloody mess.

Offline katzenjammer

I've never paid a lick of attention to any of these guidelines.  Neither did my parents or grandparents, most lived well into their late 90s.

We eat what we like, home-cooked, plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, all in moderation. 

Never touch any of the synthesized stuff, if we want butter, we use butter; if we want sugar, we use sugar.

Don't have any problems!

Offline mountaineer

My father-in-law was a meat and potatoes kind of guy for his entire life, lived on bacon grease, and he died at 89 years, 4 months. My mother tried very hard to watch fat, cholesterol, all that stuff, bought low-fat foods ... and lived to 89 years, 11 months. There you go, it's so much worth the effort to eke out those additional seven months. Maybe.    ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

My father-in-law was a meat and potatoes kind of guy for his entire life, lived on bacon grease, and he died at 89 years, 4 months. My mother tried very hard to watch fat, cholesterol, all that stuff, bought low-fat foods ... and lived to 89 years, 11 months. There you go, it's so much worth the effort to eke out those additional seven months. Maybe.    ^-^

Genetics has a lot to do with it as well. 

My grandparents (except my grandfather that died when my father was 3 years old) - all lived in their nineties eating lard and slab bacon from their own hogs, fresh from the barn eggs every day, vegetables from their garden and fruit from their orchards, milk and butter from their cows.

Of course, they worked every day - even in their nineties they maintained their gardens.  Living in mountain country, there was little flat land and every day my Pappaw would climb that hill behind his house to the top where he would hoe his corn and work his land.  Same for my other Mammaw.  They would go to bed when it got dark and get up before it got light.  Only in the evening when supper was cooked, eaten and cleaned up, would they sit down and watch a few hours of TV.  Their food was pure and natural - no chemicals or genetically modified stuff that even the squirrels or deer are reluctant to eat.

It's lifestyle that really matters.

I don't think my generation is going to make it as long as my grandparents did.