Author Topic: The Stupid Party Gets Stupider .... by Mark Steyn  (Read 391 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Stupid Party Gets Stupider .... by Mark Steyn
« on: January 13, 2016, 10:47:59 pm »
http://www.steynonline.com/7418/the-stupid-party-gets-stupider

The Stupid Party Gets Stupider

by Mark Steyn
Steyn on America
January 13, 2016

In A Night At The Opera, Groucho Marx's carriage, running late, pulls up at the opera house, and he asks whether he's missed the opera. There's still a few minutes left, says the doorman.

Groucho barks at his driver: "I told you to slow that nag down.... Once around the park, and drive slowly."

That's my approach to the State of the Union. I took it once around the park and slowly, and arrived home just as President Obama was schmoozing and gladhanding his way out the door.

But, alas, I had forgotten the Official Response to the State of the Union.

This is when the other party picks some allegedly rising star to "respond" to the speech - not by addressing anything the guy actually said, but by droning robotically some bland pap that was loaded into the prompter long before the President began speaking, and usually involving some "compelling personal story", like growing up the daughter of immigrants or the son of a mailman or whatever. I would have a modicum of respect for Jeb Bush if he were to blow whatever loose change is left of his 100 million bucks with one final campaign ad along the lines I suggested a few months back: "I come from a humble upbringing. I was raised the son of a president. We had it tough back then. In those days they only had the 20-car motorcade, not the 40-car one they've got today..."

Unless you do something outrageous, like take a sip of water halfway through, these Official Responses are even more stillborn and instantly forgotten than the main speech. Last night it fell to Nikki Haley, Governor of South Carolina and daughter of immigrants from India, to deliver the response, and much of what she had to say was the traditional boilerplate delivered with the usual glassy-eyed prompter-face.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

Re: The Stupid Party Gets Stupider .... by Mark Steyn
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 11:00:23 pm »
As usual Steyn nails it.  Worth reading the whole article to get the full treatment of his sharp and pointed wit!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:25:39 pm »

Exactly. (Steyn nails it -- you beat me to the line)

Haley gave a typical politician speech. Loaded with mushy, feel good platitudes wedged in between political correctness pablum.

We want actual human beings representing us in Washington DC. Not focus tested robots reading back lines they've memorized.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:39:53 am »
Exactly. (Steyn nails it -- you beat me to the line)

Haley gave a typical politician speech. Loaded with mushy, feel good platitudes wedged in between political correctness pablum.

We want actual human beings representing us in Washington DC. Not focus tested robots reading back lines they've memorized.

Every time a Democrat establishment politician speaks, they verbally embrace their core voters and reassure them of their everlasting loyalty.

Every time a Republican establishment politician speaks, they insult and rebuke their party's core voters and tell them that they need to change.

One party of the two seems to have a bad marriage.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn