Author Topic: Trump fires back after being targeted in GOP's SOTU response  (Read 832 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump fires back after being targeted in GOP's SOTU response
« on: January 13, 2016, 03:45:30 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/265709-trump-fires-back-after-being-targeted-in-gops-sotu-response

Republican front-runner Donald Trump is striking back after being targeted in his own party’s response to President Obama’s final State of the Union address.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, who delivered the GOP’s response on Tuesday night, warned voters to resist "the siren call of the angriest voice.”

She later confirmed the jab was directed at Trump and others in the party, and further accused the billionaire of “just irresponsible talk.”

Issuing his own response on "Fox and Friends" Wednesday morning, the real estate mogul called Haley “very weak” on illegal immigration, and claimed she has asked him for campaign contributions in the past.

"No. 1, she's very weak on illegal immigration. I've known that for a long time,” Trump said. "And she certainly has no trouble asking me for campaign contributions. Because over the years, she's asked me for a hell of a lot of money in campaign contributions. So it's sort of interesting to hear her.”

"Perhaps if I weren't running, she'd be in my office asking me for money,” he continued. "But now that I'm running, she wants to take a weak side on immigration. I feel very strongly about illegal immigration. She doesn't."

Trump also blasted the president’s State of the Union as it was taking place, tweeting out that he found the speech “boring, slow, and lethargic."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Trump fires back after being targeted in GOP's SOTU response
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:55:39 pm »
Really stupid political move. This only helps Trump. Having the DC Establishment in both parties circle the wagons against Trump only adds fuel to his "outsider" status.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:52 pm »
Really stupid political move. This only helps Trump. Having the DC Establishment in both parties circle the wagons against Trump only adds fuel to his "outsider" status.

That may be the intention... you never know these days... media and propaganda have become one... perhaps they always were...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:04:13 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Longiron

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 04:24:39 pm »

Absolutely 100% correct GA and will add to TRUMP status as the "Outsider". The 'Party of Stupid" did the same favor for CRUZ when they announced they would not help him in the slightest? Do not be fooled by the MEDIA, TRUMP and CRUZ can work everything out over a cup of coffee in 20 minutes if they want to. They will go after each other BUT nothing like the MEDIA, RINOGOPe want and trying to get them to go at each other. BOTH are the front runners and let John "elect me because my father was a mailman" Kasich or KREAM, Bushie,  RUBIO go and fire the bullets to try and improve their numbers? :beer:

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 04:26:06 pm »
One of the major differences with Don Trump...  most other candidates would have to be huddling with advisors and consultants, trying to figure out how to respond, whether to respond....  maybe take a quick focus group to test out a couple of responses....  and so forth...

Trump just fires back!!

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:31:40 pm »
Hitting her on her lust for campaign donations was absolutely hilarious.  He thoroughly painted Haley as a puppet politician for the donor class.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 04:38:59 pm »
Going to take a bit of a contrarian view here: this is much ado about very little.  First, making a commentary about "resisting the siren call of the angriest voice" is talking to whom, exactly?  Those already in the establishment?  The ones who are supporting those in single digits?  Who exactly is this audience?  If people are angry already at the government and the governing elite, they aren't going to change their minds by hearing Nikki Haley say this - it's going to have no effect whatsoever on anyone.  It's like trying to calm down someone who is really T-ed off by patting their shoulder and saying it's nothing, you are liable to get punched in the nose for your effort.

Trump's rather tepid response to her - simply pinning on her what she is anyway, a politician who raises money - is also a rather mild response.  A toss off, a dismissal.  And considering how few people actually saw Nikki Haley, even in South Carolina, it's probably not going to even quiver any needle anywhere either way.

As for Nikki, I'd suggest more experience with a teleprompter (or much better yet, ditching it entirely)...her optics were rough, all eyes and teeth frozen wide as she obviously read her script.  Too robotic, too scripted out.  She looked too much like a Stepford candidate.  Too many Republicans have this problem and they are just too careful (so is Hillary by the way).  All the Bush's had/have this problem, Mitt did too - even as capable on their feet as they are Cruz and Rubio suffer a bit from this too.  They look wide-eyed and overly scripted when they communicate, so they appear too careful.  They need to be more like Chris Christie or Trump or Fiorina in this way.  Go off the cuff - even if you make mistakes it still comes across more genuine.  Bernie Sanders is a great example too.  It's why he connects on the other side.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 04:49:04 pm »
One of the major differences with Don Trump...  most other candidates would have to be huddling with advisors and consultants, trying to figure out how to respond, whether to respond....  maybe take a quick focus group to test out a couple of responses....  and so forth...

Trump just fires back!!
It illustrates that private industry operates at much higher efficiency, than government. Government plods along, and accepts mediocrity.

So candidates from within government operate their campaigns at government pace and content.

During my corporate years, I saw top executives "game" situations, to have instantly at hand their responses.

The business would have people in town for 3 days of meetings to settle matters, and it had to be finished.

The government hacks would break for 3 weeks for holidays. When they fail to reach conclusion, pass an 11th hour omnibus bill or continuing resolution for a few weeks longer to dither. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »
It illustrates that private industry operates at much higher efficiency, than government. Government plods along, and accepts mediocrity.

So candidates from within government operate their campaigns at government pace and content.

During my corporate years, I saw top executives "game" situations, to have instantly at hand their responses.

The business would have people in town for 3 days of meetings to settle matters, and it had to be finished.

The government hacks would break for 3 weeks for holidays. When they fail to reach conclusion, pass an 11th hour omnibus bill or continuing resolution for a few weeks longer to dither.

Very good point, t_s!  It makes me think back to my corporate days.  I worked international tech for many years.  The company would fly a group of us all over the world (no expense spared), but we would usually have 3-5 days to work out complex technical agreements with (often multiple) global partners or customers.  We always made sure to hammer out 90+% of the issues before we left town, even if it required a couple of "all nighters" to get it done.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 05:37:16 pm »
One potential jewel out of this is that Trump will certainly not select Haley as VP should he win the nomination.  Haley is running wide open for a VP spot.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »
Very good point, t_s!  It makes me think back to my corporate days.  I worked international tech for many years.  The company would fly a group of us all over the world (no expense spared), but we would usually have 3-5 days to work out complex technical agreements with (often multiple) global partners or customers.  We always made sure to hammer out 90+% of the issues before we left town, even if it required a couple of "all nighters" to get it done.
I routinely did likewise, on contracts, pricing, annual strategic and operating plans. International engineering/construction industry. Clients huge firms, or quasi-government agencies.

One time they told me I was going to Houston the next day with "Adam", and we had 3 days max. to complete a particular bid format, which the locals had little experience with.

Adam and I took off, got to work, got it done, got back on the plane and earned huge recognition for our success.

Government types wouldn't get out of the gate. They would still be studying regs, filling out forms for their travel advances, etc.

It was the corporate company culture to move fast, like you said get 90% right and move on.

I also worked with corporate officers and senior execs gaming options, when they did negotiations on big contracts.

Give here, take there. Get the contract. Stuff can be fixed later hopefully. Win more than you lose. Take risks.

Trump and Fiorina have done this stuff, and Rubio or Cruz have not. I think many voters understand this.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08:28 pm »
I routinely did likewise, on contracts, pricing, annual strategic and operating plans. International engineering/construction industry. Clients huge firms, or quasi-government agencies.

One time they told me I was going to Houston the next day with "Adam", and we had 3 days max. to complete a particular bid format, which the locals had little experience with.

Adam and I took off, got to work, got it done, got back on the plane and earned huge recognition for our success.

Government types wouldn't get out of the gate. They would still be studying regs, filling out forms for their travel advances, etc.

It was the corporate company culture to move fast, like you said get 90% right and move on.

I also worked with corporate officers and senior execs gaming options, when they did negotiations on big contracts.

Give here, take there. Get the contract. Stuff can be fixed later hopefully. Win more than you lose. Take risks.

Trump and Fiorina have done this stuff, and Rubio or Cruz have not. I think many voters understand this.

Yes, government culture and corporate culture are WORLDS apart!  And yes, many voters have come to understand this.