Author Topic: McConnell: Senate won’t intervene in Cruz 2016 eligibility  (Read 6390 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: McConnell: Senate won’t intervene in Cruz 2016 eligibility
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2016, 03:52:17 pm »
Cruz on the other hand was born to an American citizen who was born in the United States but gave birth to Cruz in Canada.......

..... with a father who was born Cuban, became a Canadian citizen in the 1970's and remained one for more than 30 years until 2005 when he renounced his Canadian citizenship to become a naturalized American citizen.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:36 pm »
The father's nationality shouldn't be relevant.   Cruz is the natural child of an American-born mother.  That makes him a citizen by reason of his birth.  Yes, he can serve as President.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Longiron

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2016, 08:12:50 pm »
Hope this gets put to bed soon. It is BORING and a lot more things more important issues even if does not go away. CRUZ IS eligible to run for the POTUS, IMO. But that is a opinion like everyone else has. What everyone is missing it this is a BRILLIANT strategy by CRUZ or TRUMP or CRUZ/TRUMP together and the "Party of STUPID" fell for  lock ,stock and barrel, AGAIN. Every PUB at election time wants to run on being a Conservative and a Outsider of the ELITE, Political Class especially this time since people are DONE and feed up with Politicians. CRUZ just established himself as the COMPLETE outsider of the Old Boys Club the US SENATE by them not standing up for him in the slightest. Being conservative, well nothing has to be said about that. He and LEE and sometimes Sessions are the only ones in the Senate that are true Conservatives. CRUZ needs this for his nomination and TRUMP needs this if he choose him as VP. BOTH win and TRUMP just asked the question? If TRUMP was attacking him it would have been 20X worse than a question. Do not believe the media. TRUMP and CRUZ are not going to fight like they want. Disagree yes, but they are to close on everything to hurt each other on purpose. Brilliant MOVE for CRUZ and totally thinking out of the BOX and the TRUMP influence is as always UNPREDICTABLE.  :0012:

http://theresurgent.com/did-ted-cruz-pay-donald-trump-to-do-the-birther-attack/

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2016, 08:26:17 pm »
If we strictly accept the premise that a 'natural born citizen' means those born on American soil; 

Why are you forgetting about the parents?  The threshold is: of the land with parents who are American citizens. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »
Cruz on the other hand was born to an American citizen who was born in the United States but gave birth to Cruz in Canada. 

What about the father, liberty?  Tell me about Ted's father.   **nononono*

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2016, 08:32:01 pm »
What about the father, liberty?  Tell me about Ted's father.   **nononono*

I want to know if Cruz, Rubio, Or Obama is a citizen by force of ANY legislative act.  If so then they are NOT "Natural born" citizens eligible for the office of President of the United States.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »
The father's nationality shouldn't be relevant.   Cruz is the natural child of an American-born mother.  That makes him a citizen by reason of his birth.  Yes, he can serve as President.

To be eligible for the Presidency, Jazz, one must be a natural born citizen.  Cruz is a naturalized citizen at birth--thanks to an act of Congress.  If Congress changes that statute, Cruz loses the citizenship bestowed on him as a gift from the government. 

Had Cruz been born in the USA and had two parents who were US citizenship, he would have been a citizen through nature --or natural born citizen.  And unlike as it is now, no act of Congress would have been able to change his status.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:21:24 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2016, 08:51:38 pm »
To be eligible for the Presidency, Jazz, one must be a natural born citizen.  Cruz is a naturalized citizen at birth--thanks to an act of Congress.  If Congress changes that statute, Cruz loses the citizenship bestowed on his as a gift from the government. 

Had Cruz been born in the USA and had two parents who were US citizenship, he would have been a citizen through nature --or natural born citizen.  And unlike as it is now, no act of Congress would have been able to change his status.

I disagree.  The test is whether Cruz's status as a citizen is based on anything other than the mere fact of his birth.  Whether a statute happens to confirm that is irrelevant.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2016, 09:02:45 pm »
I disagree.  The test is whether Cruz's status as a citizen is based on anything other than the mere fact of his birth.  Whether a statute happens to confirm that is irrelevant.   

You can disagree all you like but that will not change the facts!

A natural born citizen is a citizen without the aid of any legislative act ever passed and will always be a citizen unless he himself voluntarily renounces his citizenship! No act of the legislature ever passed can remove his citizenship from him.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:19 pm »
My judgment as of today says barring new information, this damages Cruz. Trump goes on to win the nomination.

My guess is that Trump foregoes selecting Cruz for his running mate, opting instead for a more moderate choice.

In part this illustrates the political axiom "what goes around, often comes around."

Yesterday it was published that 26% identified as Republicans. Cruz has reached around 25% of those, or 6-7% max. of our population is supporting him personally.

He is a fine, great, wonderful human being. But he can claim he is a NBC till the cows come home, but it takes more than his word alone.

Calling your boss a liar is not a preferred tactic in most areas of endeavor, least of all politics.

So where we sit as of now, Cruz has very loud, very deep support of but a narrow segment of our country, and no more.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:01 pm »
My judgment as of today says barring new information, this damages Cruz. Trump goes on to win the nomination.

My guess is that Trump foregoes selecting Cruz for his running mate, opting instead for a more moderate choice.

In part this illustrates the political axiom "what goes around, often comes around."

Yesterday it was published that 26% identified as Republicans. Cruz has reached around 25% of those, or 6-7% max. of our population is supporting him personally.

He is a fine, great, wonderful human being. But he can claim he is a NBC till the cows come home, but it takes more than his word alone.

Calling your boss a liar is not a preferred tactic in most areas of endeavor, least of all politics.

So where we sit as of now, Cruz has very loud, very deep support of but a narrow segment of our country, and no more.

I agree with you on the damages but how much depends on him getting this citizenship thing put to bed.
Not sure how to do that but I think voters are very sensitive to this subject given the current occupant of the white house.
My concern is if Cruz does get elected to the white house, there are evidently several dems ready with law suits to challenge his citizenship.
If the dems win, then where will that leave us?

Offline flowers

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:45 pm »
I agree with you on the damages but how much depends on him getting this citizenship thing put to bed.
Not sure how to do that but I think voters are very sensitive to this subject given the current occupant of the white house.
My concern is if Cruz does get elected to the white house, there are evidently several dems ready with law suits to challenge his citizenship.
I agree with you.

We will be literally on fire if that happens. Think mad max type of place.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2016, 09:51:53 pm »

Think of the damage that Al Gore's "Hanging Chad" tantrum did to the first months of Bush's presidency.  The next president needs to hit the ground running, not be busy swatting flies around him. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:44 pm »
Think of the damage that Al Gore's "Hanging Chad" tantrum did to the first months of Bush's presidency.  The next president needs to hit the ground running, not be busy swatting flies around him.

That was a mess.....

Offline flowers

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2016, 10:10:23 pm »
Geeze.....I remember watching the news on TV all alphabet channels had a helicopter following a truck with the ballots in it. Then the news feed of men and women in a huge room inspecting the hanging chads. It was a circus. Some where not even looking at the ballots, just tossing them in random piles. Other had the ballot up in the air towards the light looking for the hanging chads.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2016, 10:20:19 pm »

I respectfully and completely disagree with you.  I caution you to think--think rationally and without passion-- before continuing on the slope you're sliding down. 

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2016, 01:23:54 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
"My judgment as of today says barring new information, this damages Cruz. Trump goes on to win the nomination.
My guess is that Trump foregoes selecting Cruz for his running mate, opting instead for a more moderate choice."

Good observations, both.

I'd prefer that Cruz -not- be president.
With his sharp mind and persuasive skills, he would do much better on the Supreme Court.
He's young, and could serve there and spearhead conservatism for decades.
And the reality that he isn't a "natural born citizen" won't matter at all.

He's the natural pick to fill Ginsberg's seat (she'll retire after obama leaves office).

Offline Longiron

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:42 am »
truth_seeker wrote above:
"My judgment as of today says barring new information, this damages Cruz. Trump goes on to win the nomination.
My guess is that Trump foregoes selecting Cruz for his running mate, opting instead for a more moderate choice."

Good observations, both.

I'd prefer that Cruz -not- be president.
With his sharp mind and persuasive skills, he would do much better on the Supreme Court.
He's young, and could serve there and spearhead conservatism for decades.
And the reality that he isn't a "natural born citizen" won't matter at all.

He's the natural pick to fill Ginsberg's seat (she'll retire after obama leaves office).

Agree but one has to get CRUZ to agree. Being young and as good has he is I don't see him retiring to the SCOTUS. Think he wants to be involved some way in shaping then future other than the SCOTUS. JMO