Author Topic: McConnell: Senate won’t intervene in Cruz 2016 eligibility  (Read 6454 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell: Senate won’t intervene in Cruz 2016 eligibility
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/265374-mcconnell-senate-wont-intervene-in-cruz-eligibility

By Bradford Richardson - 01/10/16 12:44 PM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says the upper chamber won’t issue a resolution on whether Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is constitutionally eligible to run for president.

“I just don’t think the Senate ought to get into the middle of this,” McConnell said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week.” “These guys will all slug it out in Iowa and New Hampshire. We’ll have a nominee hopefully by sometime in the spring.”

The eligibility of Cruz, who was born in Canada to an American mother and Cuban father, to serve as president has been called into question by Republican primary front-runner Donald Trump, with other prominent Republicans calling the concerns legitimate.

Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution states: “No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President.”

Cruz, a constitutional lawyer, has maintained that he is eligible to be president, pointing out the distinction between natural-born and naturalized citizens.

The Senate previously issued a resolution confirming then-nominee John McCain’s eligibility to serve as president. The Arizona senator was born on a military base in Panama to American parents.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

Re: McConnell: Senate won’t intervene in Cruz 2016 eligibility
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »
Well, that is a good thing; there is no place for the Senate in resolving this issue.

(Aside from the vital Constitutional question at stake, along with the jeopardy to this Republic, one of the most tiresome aspects of the eligibility issue is having to read countless articles written by the ignorant and/or agenda-driven media.   :thud:

I can only hope that the NFL playoffs are great this year, and that the NHL offers up some good entertainment before MLB Spring Training gets underway down here!!)

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »
If CRUZ loses and is not eligible ( which I doubt) watch the SENATE lead by McConnell make a lawsuit to take his Senate seat away? :wtf!:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:28:30 pm »
If CRUZ loses and is not eligible ( which I doubt) watch the SENATE lead by McConnell make a lawsuit to take his Senate seat away? :wtf!:

Calm down.   Being a natural born citizen applies to one public office only:  POTUS and CIC.  (Pure genius on the part of our Founders)

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:31:42 pm »
Cruz, a constitutional lawyer, has maintained that he is eligible to be president, pointing out the distinction between natural-born and naturalized citizens.

Cruz, a constitutional lawyer, the self-serving political candidate, has maintained that he is eligible to be president, pointing out the distinction between natural-born and naturalized citizens.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:32:05 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 05:33:46 pm »
What is striking to me is the silence from the GOP on this subject.
I have not see anything from the party defending Cruz.... Is this deliberate?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:39:10 pm »

Deliberate?   Sure, but nothing sinister here, folks.   Cruz is a rookie solon who's done little to make friends among his colleagues.   That's why they don't bother to defend him (especially when another Senator, Rubio, is his chief rival).   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »
Cruz, a constitutional lawyer, the self-serving political candidate, has maintained that he is eligible to be president, pointing out the distinction between natural-born and naturalized citizens.

You can call him self serving all you please but I'm confident that coming events will have you eating those words.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 05:40:28 pm »
Deliberate?   Sure, but nothing sinister here, folks.   Cruz is a rookie solon who's done little to make friends among his colleagues.   That's why they don't bother to defend him (especially when another Senator, Rubio, is his chief rival).

Or maybe it's indefensible?

Offline Longiron

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 05:52:27 pm »
Calm down.   Being a natural born citizen applies to one public office only:  POTUS and CIC.  (Pure genius on the part of our Founders)

Thanks did not know that! :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:04:21 pm »
Cruz has not bent over backward, to be a civil team player among his party's members. In fact quite the opposite.

So the absence of support looks a lot like "what goes around, comes around."

Cruz wants to be the Lone Ranger. So let him. (The Lone Ranger and Tonto came from Calgary, BTW)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »
You can call him self serving all you please but I'm confident that coming events will have you eating those words.

Bigun, please .... either share what you're thinking, or spare me the theatrics.  Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 06:12:25 pm »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:46 pm »
Bigun, please .... either share what you're thinking, or spare me the theatrics.  Thanks.

I'm thinking that Ted Cruz knows EXACTLY what he is doing and you will see it soon enough!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:23:44 pm »
I'm thinking that Ted Cruz knows EXACTLY what he is doing and you will see it soon enough!

He knows he's lying to his supporters?

He's going to prove Canada is actually part of the US?

He was born a Canadian woman and is hoping to solidify the transgender voting block?

He's actually running interference for Marco hoping for a Ted/Marco or Marco/Ted ticket?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »

He can't take his Senate seat away; eligibility for the Senate is different than POTUS.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 06:28:31 pm »

He was born a Canadian woman and is hoping to solidify the transgender voting block?

He's actually running interference for Marco hoping for a Ted/Marco or Marco/Ted ticket?

Except... they are after Rubio as well, stating that he isn't qualified due to his parents not being citizens.  Trump, Rubio, Santorum, Jindal, Sanders, and Cruz have all been challenged on eligibility -- Trump just chose to focus on Cruz is all because he has a chance of knocking him out in Iowa.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 06:33:16 pm »

Probably not.  There are a lot of people outside of Congress defending him.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 06:47:05 pm »

No,  Cruz's right to serve as President is perfectly defensible.  I think it's quite clear he's "natural born", and have explained why elsewhere.   But as Truth Seeker suggests,  this is "what goes around comes around" for Cruz,  who's seen as quite the weasel by colleagues.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »

How is he lying to his supporters? Can you cite a single instance where he has said anything other than he was a citizen at birth?  Something EVERYONE agrees with BTW!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:16 pm »
How is he lying to his supporters? Can you cite a single instance where he has said anything other than he was a citizen at birth?  Something EVERYONE agrees with BTW!

I don't have a link, Big...sorry.  But, yes.  In a campaign stop/"rally" in Iowa, he was talking about this and went up to a woman seated in the front row with microphone in hand and explained that being a citizen at birth makes him a "natural born citizen" ---    Fox played this clip on and off all day yesterday.  I'll try to find it.  But bear with me ... it may take a bit.

Thanks.

(So you're good with the born a Canadian woman angle? )
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:22:00 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 07:25:26 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/265374-mcconnell-senate-wont-intervene-in-cruz-eligibility
 says the upper chamber won’t issue a resolution on whether Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is constitutionally eligible to run for president.
Read that far only. This action speaks loudly doesn't it? He is intervening by saying nothing.  :chairbang:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »
I don't have a link, Big...sorry.  But, yes.  In a campaign stop/"rally" in Iowa, he was talking about this and went up a woman seated in the front row with microphone in hand and explained that being a citizen at birth makes him a "natural born citizen" ---    Fox played this clip on and off all day yesterday.  I'll try to find it.  But bear with me ... it may take a bit.

Thanks.

(So you're good with the born a Canadian woman angle? )

Are you good with this:

Ollie Ackbar: Born September 11, 2001, Sana’a, Yemen
Father: Mohammed Ackbar, Born Sana’a, Yemen; Citizenship: Yemen
Mother: Betsy Johnson, Born: Bethesda, MD; Citizenship: USA
September 11, 2021 Ollie Ackbar arrives in New York, USA
Qualifies for the Office of the President of the Unites States:

I think I remember seeing that somewhere recently.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:37 pm »
Read that far only. This action speaks loudly doesn't it? He is intervening by saying nothing.  :chairbang: 

I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly--I read the stuff a while ago, but I think:  The Senate read into the record that George Romney (foreign born, two American parents) was not eligible for the position (after he dropped out);  and McCain was eligible because he was born of two American parents on an American base (essentially US soil).

But I cannot remember if the Senate--as a governing body-- officially spoke to Obama's eligibility.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 07:37:01 pm »
Are you good with this:

I think I remember seeing that somewhere recently. 

I'm guessing you know I wrote that.  So, your question is confusing me. 

Could I know your point?     I promise I'll answer.

Thanks.