Author Topic: NFL playoff thread (Jan. 2016)  (Read 6519 times)

Offline katzenjammer

Re: NFL playoff thread (Jan. 2016)
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09:22 am »
Well, it's bad for me as I am a Seahawk's fan and my wife is a Carolina fan...or I should say Cam fan (daughter went to Auburn).  Made me buy her a Cam shirt for the game next week.  Don't like this at all.

Yes, the fact that Cam is a Panther makes my rooting interest a bit stronger!

Years ago, when there was all of those eligibility issues surrounding him and "pay to play" scenarios I actually took a dislike to him.  After he was in the NFL a couple of years and I was watching how he handled himself both on and off the field, I realized that I was holding the stupidity and greed of his father against him!  I immediately stopped that and have been a fan ever since!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:58 am »
Well, it's bad for me as I am a Seahawk's fan and my wife is a Carolina fan...or I should say Cam fan (daughter went to Auburn).  Made me buy her a Cam shirt for the game next week.  Don't like this at all.

As objective as you can be, who do you think will win this game?  (I don't care at all.  I would if the Vikings had won).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 02:54:19 am »
I'll be immensely surprised if the Steelers survive the next game. If they don't make it to the Super Bowl, I'd rather see KC win it all.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 03:34:29 am »
I'll be immensely surprised if the Steelers survive the next game. If they don't make it to the Super Bowl, I'd rather see KC win it all.
Kansas City with a World Series AND a Super Bowl within three months of each other? Now THAT'D be something unexpected.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 03:55:38 am »

They can't win without Roethlisberger, and it doesn't look like he's going to make it with a separated shoulder.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:29 am »
As objective as you can be, who do you think will win this game?  (I don't care at all.  I would if the Vikings had won).

If I were a betting man (and sometimes I am), I'd put my money on Carolina.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 04:27:53 am »
for late

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 05:10:30 pm »
Anyone going to make their picks?

I am going the complete opposite of last week -- correctly picked all of the Road teams to advance.
This week, picking all of the Home teams.  (Yes, it is boring to pick the favorites this week, but I
can't see a path to victory for any of the road dogs.)

New England over Kansas City   

Arizona over Green Bay   

Carolina over Seattle   

Denver over Pittsburgh

Hoping for four great games, this weekend often proves to be the best weekend of NFL football each season!    :beer:

Offline flowers

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »

I am going the complete opposite of last week -- correctly picked all of the Road teams to advance.
This week, picking all of the Home teams.  (Yes, it is boring to pick the favorites this week, but I

Arizona over Green Bay   

Carolina over Seattle   

Denver over Pittsburgh

Hoping for four great games, this weekend often proves to be the best weekend of NFL football each season!    :beer:
I don't have picks....just who I would like to see win. Patriots, Arizona, Carolina. Denver Pittsburgh.....don't know who I want to win on that one.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2016, 05:38:58 pm »
KC and Seattle are capable of winning their games (and those would be my choices), but I will faint dead away if the banged-up Steelers come anywhere close.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:08 pm »
Frankly I couldn't care less!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 05:49:49 pm »

Arizona over Green Bay   

Carolina over Seattle   

Denver over Pittsburgh

I'm thinking (no, really, hoping) my Seahawks might pull a surprise this week. Carolina is vulnerable due to injuries, particularly on offense. Cover the TE and life will be hard for them.  But next week in Arizona, I not look forward to...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline raml

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 05:57:19 pm »
I would like to see my Kansas City Chiefs (I live in Missouri) win but I also am a fan of the Patriots. Sorry but I love Tom Brady and think he is number one when it comes to quarterbacks. So at least today I will be happy no matter what the outcome but I also hope whoever wins today between them goes all the way be it Chiefs or Patriots.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 05:58:26 pm »
KC and Seattle are capable of winning their games (and those would be my choices), but I will faint dead away if the banged-up Steelers come anywhere close.

I agree that KC and Seattle are capable of winning, but I don't think that they will.  Belichik-Brady is my reasoning for the first one, and having watched a lot of their games this season, the Panthers have something special going on.

If it weren't for injuries (especially Antonio Brown), I probably would have picked the Steelers.  (Damn that Burfict!)  Although with Ben's shoulder being in the state that it is, I am not sure that Brown's presence would have mattered that much.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
Frankly I couldn't care less!

Not sure what your weather is like today or tomorrow, but maybe you can enjoy some of this!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 06:08:29 pm »
Not sure what your weather is like today or tomorrow, but maybe you can enjoy some of this!

Unfortunately not until next Tuesday!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 07:24:08 pm »

Arizona over Green Bay   

Carolina over Seattle   

Denver over Pittsburgh

I can't stand the Patriots, so I hope KC prevails

I prefer Green Bay, but think Arizona will win.

Carolina will probably beat Seattle, but I don't care much either way.  Pete Carroll's personality flaws are overcome by the team's quality.

Denver will definitely beat Pittsburgh, but I'm not a particular fan of either team (Browns' sore loser syndrome.  ^-^ ) so I really don't care about this one either.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 12:32:26 am »
Not looking good for KC.

I find the game easier to bear with it muted.

The bromance between the announcers and Brady is pretty nauseating........   **nononono*

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 12:45:31 am »
I was hoping for a better showing from the Chiefs....  hopefully the next three games will be more competitive!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 12:47:14 am »
I was hoping for a better showing from the Chiefs....  hopefully the next three games will be more competitive!

Lots of mistakes, and some pretty bad time management at the end.

The Patriots are definitely beatable, though.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2016, 01:10:12 am »
I think the playoff experience of the Belechik-Brady combo (vs.  Reid-Smith) factored heavily into the game.  Alex Smith is a good player, I think he has a decent future ahead of him (I personally thought that it was a mistake for SF to go with Kap over Smith).

If Denver prevails, it will be a nice matchup next week at Mile High.

Offline raml

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 01:19:36 am »
Well my chiefs didn't win so I am all set to root for the Patriots next week.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 01:30:42 am »
I think the playoff experience of the Belechik-Brady combo (vs.  Reid-Smith) factored heavily into the game.  Alex Smith is a good player, I think he has a decent future ahead of him (I personally thought that it was a mistake for SF to go with Kap over Smith).

If Denver prevails, it will be a nice matchup next week at Mile High.

Don't know much about KC, but it sounded like a lot of receivers were injured, and that certainly affected the game.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 01:44:31 am »
Don't know much about KC, but it sounded like a lot of receivers were injured, and that certainly affected the game.

Yep, they were depleted.  But the funny thing is, I mentioned while watching the game, it is almost like Belechik has another complete roster of players that he keeps on ice somewhere.  I am constantly amazed at how he trots out another player, almost weekly, that is given a featured role in the offense (and that the other team has not really prepped for).  It is really amazing to me.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 01:45:24 am »
Well my chiefs didn't win so I am all set to root for the Patriots next week.

If the Chiefs avoid the devastating injuries that they had to overcome this season, they should be in great shape next season!